New Lease on Life for LarryK14

BVH

Flashaholic
OK, I stealthily grabbed these shots of the LarryK with the 1000 Watt 4556 lamp installed running regulated at 29.3 Volts. (I say stealthily because where there was once no homes, there are now 12 homes, 4 of which are occupied. Not sure how much longer I'll be able to use this area) I looked back at my other 600 Watt shots in the "Medium Iron Beamshots" thread so I would use the same camera settings. They were 5 seconds @ F3.5. and the lamp was running at 30.0 Volts. I used the same settings tonight but the images look well over-exposed because this is not what I saw and the sky shows up whereas it was completely dark when I took them. Same camera settings, same location so not sure why this happened. The 1000 Watt is not a Halogen lamp so I expected a warmer color temp but again, this is warmer than what I saw. I'll go back tomorrow night and take some at 4 seconds and 3 seconds to post what I actually saw. Sorry for the dirty camera lens. But I will say that I could very easily spot a human at 500 - 600 Yards. This thing is one heck of a search n rescue tool! That is, if you only need about 3 minutes of light between runs to keep from melting the bezel. Overall run time at 1000 Watts is 10 minutes to 3.5 Volts per cell shut-down resulting is a resting per cell Voltage of 3.7. I put 4.1 Ah back into the battery so it's a perfect discharge to 80%.

350 Yards:

Here's the old 600 shot at the same 350 Yards:

LarryKClose.jpg

500 Yards:

Last edited:

BVH

Flashaholic
I've put together most everything to make another one of these regulated LarryK14's but I think 1 is enough for me. If you want to build one, look in the CPF B/S/T sub forum for the "Kit".

kuna

Newly Enlightened
Always loved these Larryk14 monster spotlights, they're not much different than the 1kW DCB 224 used in modern lighthouses. I was surprised at the difference in beam divergence using the 1000 vs 600W lamp; the 1000w bulb is much floodier, not too surprisingly tho. also the color temp looks a little different too, but I know that's probably due to the camera. What would you estimate the candela is on one of these?(600w or 1000w)

japudjuha

Enlightened
The Q4559X 600watt is rated at 765000 cd on the GE website. This would be running at the rated 28 volts.

Most of us (I believe) are running them at up to 30 volts.
That means they are over driven by about 15% to roughly 650w and 880000 cd (maybe more).
Even at 28v they will change the way you look at your lights.
I find myself looking at new torches and going "only 5000 lumens!?! Haha. Definitely worth the build ;-)

EDIT: I recently measured my Q4559X LarryK , 1.09Million Cd at 1Meter (@30v)

Last edited:

kuna

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info, and yup, that can be a problem when you have a light like the Larryk14. Suddenly a thousand lumens is not so bright anymore. That is one reason why I don't have a light like the Lk14 lol

Last edited: