*New* Lumintop Titanium Tool

cancow

Newly Enlightened
Thanks. Anyone know why now electronic switch on the copper version? I love the copper one, but the black rubber switch looks like it does not fit in.

As has been mentioned before, we we will probably see these listed for sale after the Chinese New Year which I believe is in a week or so.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Lumintop TOOL Ti

We've had confirmation from vinhnguyen54 that there is no intention for a 'vn' special of these. Makes sense really, aluminium and copper are the better hosts for the heat his pocket rockets create. There's also several design changes between this and the other TOOLs.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast

We've had confirmation from vinhnguyen54 that there is no intention for a 'vn' special of these. Makes sense really, aluminium and copper are the better hosts for the heat his pocket rockets create. There's also several design changes between this and the other TOOLs.

While those possible reasons are valid, I have a feeling the biggest reason is likely more along the lines of Vinh getting sick and tired of modding stock drivers on these tiny AAA flashlights. I think he underestimated the demand, and he's plain worn out, poor fella. He'd rather move his DriverVN2/DriverVNX2 and mod the more serious, larger, more powerful flashlights, and not develop debilitating arthritis and carpel tunnel working in these wee hosts and drivers en masse for weeks at a time. You keychain flashaholics should be ashamed of yourselves for putting him through it again and again, always ravenous for the next AAAvn. Can't you commission something larger, something more interesting once in a while? Just sayin'...

Last edited:

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast

While those possible reasons are valid, I have a feeling the biggest reason is likely more along the lines of Vinh getting sick and tired of modding stock drivers on these tiny AAA flashlights. I think he underestimated the demand, and he's plain worn out, poor fella. He'd rather move his DriverVN2/DriverVNX2 and mod the more serious, larger, more powerful flashlights, and not develop debilitating arthritis and carpel tunnel working in these wee hosts and drivers en masse for weeks at a time. You keychain flashaholics should be ashamed of yourselves for putting him through it again and again, always ravenous for the next AAAvn. Can't you commission something larger, something more interesting once in a while? Just sayin'...

I'll do my bit, I'll order one of these in stock form with Nichia emitter. I'll be able to get more use out of my Technoline charger if I stick to NiMH rather than IMR 10440 that the vinhnguyen versions require. Can't promise that I won't be tempted by the Copper TOOLvn though :devil:

cancow

Newly Enlightened

Nice! Now why no switch like that on the copper model?

RUSH FAN

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey thanks for the video!
Looks nice.
Either the light is bigger than I thought it would be, or the person handling it has small hands lol!

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
… why now electronic switch on the copper version?...

Lumintop wants to finish selling their stock of Copper and Aluminum Tools before the new models come out with electronic switches.

there is no intention for a 'vn' special of these..

Vinh wants to finish selling his stock of Copper and Aluminum Tools before the new models come out with electronic switches.

… why no switch like that on the copper model?

Lumintop wants to finish selling their stock of Copper and Aluminum Tools before the new models come out with electronic switches. Why do you ask Why over and over? Dont you see we are just sharing information about a new product release?:)

N_N_R

Enlightened

Looks nice.
Either the light is bigger than I thought it would be, or the person handling it has small hands lol!

Yes! I also thought the light was way bigger. Good to know it wasn't just me, lol.

I'm not sure I like the idea of a bigger light. The other Lumintop versions are tall enough for AAA already. hmmm.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Titanium Tool
Length: 2.91" (74mm)
Head Diameter: 0.56" (14.4mm)
Body Diameter: 0.56"(14.4mm)
Weight 0.78oz(22g)

Copper Tool
Length: 3.2" (81.5mm)
Head Diameter: 0.57" (14.5mm)
Body Diameter: 0.57"(14.5mm)
Weight 1.06oz(30g)

The Copper Tool is 10% longer and 0.1 mm larger in diameter than the Titanium Tool.
The
Copper Tool is 36% heavier than the Titanium Tool

Bottom line, the TiTool is smaller and lighter than the CuTool

Last edited:

JKolmo

Enlightened

Looks nice.

That guy has tiny hands. The AAAs look like AAs or even bigger...

N_N_R

Enlightened

Lol, indeed.

@Jon, thanks for the specs that helped :D

Or maybe because it's a bit shorter, it also looks "chubbier". Anyway, good to know :D

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast

the UI is interesting, i mean the switch.

it's not like a traditional reverse clicky because a reverse clicky can be tapped once the light is ON, see Eagtac D25A Clicky series.

and it's not like a forward clicky. the tool ti turns ON once the switch is depressed but the light is not momentary ON, it stays constant ON.

so for mode switching one cannot tap the switch, one needs to do another full click'n release.

does the Tool Copper have a traditional reverse clicky?

ronniepudding

Enlightened

Here a guy shows the light :) It's in Chinese, I presume, so I don't get a thing, but it's cool to look at it :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6PMKia16V4

It's in Japanese, actually. Speaker starts with "Konnichiwa" :) Not that I understood any of what followed...

Interesting video, though some of the content has me slightly worried about the execution of this light.

1) The click-off-and-then-on-again method of changing modes is pretty lame IMHO. Why not take advantage of the fact that you have an electronic switch and have shortcuts to different modes via different types of clicks (e.g., fast click = high, long click = low, double-click = medium, etc.), and have the option to click-and-hold once the light is on to cycle through the modes? I sure hope there are more UI options on this light than were demonstrated in the video.
2) If the video is any indication, Lumintop seems to be sticking with their standard Medium-Low-High mode order. Not my favorite, but if they added shortcuts to different modes via different types of clicks... ;) that would fix it for me.
3) I know it's hard to judge tint via a video, but dammit that beam is yellow. Judging from the box at the beginning with the "Cree" sticker on it, I'm presuming the emitter is an XP-G2... though it doesn't look like a CW to me.

Perhaps a member who speaks Japanese could confirm that the light demonstrated is a pre-production sample, etc.?

Last edited:

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast

Costs round about $63 on the site the video links too, though I can't read a damn thing otherwise.
UI might end up killing it for me if you have to click it on and off to change modes and there are no other shortcuts. Without different clicks for shortcuts this interface would be too tedious to justify buying since I already enjoy my Copper tool.

Overall it does appear to be a little shorter due to the lack of a mechanical switch. Just checked, 2.9" vs 3.2".

I assume the yellow look is due to the white balance of the video along with the fact he is lighting up a yellow wood surface.

ronniepudding

Enlightened

UI might end up killing it for me if you have to click it on and off to change modes and there are no other shortcuts. Without different clicks for shortcuts this interface would be too tedious to justify buying since I already enjoy my Copper tool.

Thinking about it some more, if the switch/UI is fast enough to allow double-clicks to change modes from [on] -- i.e., really quickly off/on -- that might not be too bad. Would still prefer to also have mode shortcuts from [off] of course.

I assume the yellow look is due to the white balance of the video along with the fact he is lighting up a yellow wood surface.

I hope you're right... a bad yellow tint will kill it for me, regardless of how good the rest of the light ends up being.