NEW Maratac Copper (Cu) CR123 XM-L LED Flashlight Available

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine was (I hadn't thought to look until now).
Thanks for checking. Still a great light, but I wish CountyComm would respect their customers more and make some effort to have accurate information on their website, I've had so many problems with them. In this case (before they made some updates) it looks like the only facts that were correct was that it was Copper, had 3 modes, and took a CR123A cell. As luck would have it, Copper and CR123A was all I needed to know before buying it.

ZRXBILL

Enlightened
I just checked and Country Comm's site lists it as a XP-G so I wonder when it changed?

Last edited:

tjswarbrick

Enlightened
I need to know if it got pwm, but no one seems to be able to answer that question.

Mine, too, has an XP-G in it.

It's PWM, but looks like a very high rate. My year-old Maratac SSAAA looks a little "strobey" on low, and produced massive, thick stripes on low in the camera-phone test. My Cu123 produced thin, hard-to-spot lines on my camera phone, and I couldn't get my hand to go disco - even though "low" is quite a bit lower.

Also, taken alone, the tint looks like a perfect creamy white. In direct comparison, taking the 4500K 92CRI Nichia 219 in my NB/Joule-Thief L2M shining on an ultra-white melamine cabinet as "white": Neutral XM-L Quark-X (which looks yellow on its own) takes on a greenish tinge; Neutral XM-L in the Ti D25C Clicky picks up quite a bit of yellow; pure-white 5000k P4 in the Groovy! picks up a slight tinge of rose, and the XP-G in the Cu123 has the slightest hint of blue. But, on their own, the 219, P4, and XP-G all look pure white to me.It has a significantly more intense hotspot than any of those others, but the profile is very smooth. I didn't have a perfect white background large enough to capture all the spill, but didn't notice any ringiness in the beam.

If you have any desire to own it for the copper, heft, or limited availability - I say go for it. They did a nice job of balancing the compromises in this one. It may not be a perfect light, but it's a very nice one, and pretty affordable for something so unique in the marketplace.

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: NEW Maratac New Maratac Copper (Cu) CR123 XM-L LED Flashlight Available

I couldn't resist any longer...I had to order one. :drool:

As long as the PWM rate is as high as my Cu AAA first edition, I can live with it.

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got mine today! :party:

It's beautiful! Mine has an XP-G and the PWM is at a high enough rate that it's almost undetectable. There is some heft to it, the walls are fairly thick...it's a pretty good chunk of copper. It will look cool when it gets tarnished.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ya they changed the specs on the light and it looks like they never made it in XM-L, but they didn't even have the decency to respond to my email; these people need a big attitude adjustment. Good thing it's a nice light even with an XP-G.

turkeylord

Enlightened
Anyone have some insight on how the head is assembled? Will this be easily modded? I'd love to put a neutral XP-G2 in one...

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone have some insight on how the head is assembled? Will this be easily modded? I'd love to put a neutral XP-G2 in one...
Looks like a standard pill, unscrews from the head in standard fashion. I'm guessing they used a little loctite, but nothing too serious. LED looks like it is on a standard 14mm (or so) board, wires accessible from the top. I don't know much about modding these things, but it looks like someone who does it could fix this baby up with any LED in about 5 minutes.

marataccoppercr123alede.jpg

Last edited:

turkeylord

Enlightened
Looks like a standard pill, unscrews from the head in standard fashion. I'm guessing they used a little loctite, but nothing too serious. LED looks like it is on a standard 14mm (or so) board, wires accessible from the top. I don't know much about modding these things, but it looks like someone who does it could fix this baby up with any LED in about 5 minutes.
That's great, thanks :D

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast

marataccoppercr123alede.jpg

Nice work!!!

MikeBarHoot

Newly Enlightened
Very nice information and pics in this thread! Like the CR123 version but didn't seem to be available. Was able to order the AA version today though.

How long did it take to receive it/them from order time?

-thanks for the info herein!

-Mike

tjswarbrick

Enlightened
How long did it take to receive it/them from order time?

-Mike

Mine always show up in 2 days, but I'm in the next town (okay, big city) over, so it's probably not a good example. I just wish they'd offer will-call so I could save the somewhat rediculous shipping charges.

Last edited: