**NEW** Nitecore EA4 Pioneer (4*AA, 860lm)

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
Just learned about the additional Battery Junction delay on these. :ohgeez: I guess I should have canceled my order and gone elsewhere. I suppose this is what you get anymore for being a loyal customer. :sigh:

Seems a bit odd to me that they are the only place having this issue. Latest excuse is that it turns out DHL never shipped them and they are still sitting in a warehouse somewhere in China, and that is the best (and only) information they can get from the supplier. :rolleyes:

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
Someday we will be able to tell our flashlights what time we want it to wake us up with the strobe. Even then the 2 mode Surefire will cost over twice as much.

Yes .... but in years to come the Surefire will be the only one still working :p

Devildude

Enlightened
I just got mine in the mail today, ordered it Tuesday night from Illumination Supply. I compared it to the TK41 and I must say Wow, definitely will not throw as far but a lot smaller and lighter. One heck of a good buy, I would highly recommend this light for the combination of size and power. Being able to run eneloops is a big plus.

windsurf

Newly Enlightened
Checkout this real world usage review - I think it'll answer you questions!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbFF1kf7OoA

I've downloaded it and watched multiple times. If I recognized the light names/models correctly, here's my impressions at key times:
1:25-1:53 Compare EA4 CW (1st) to EA4 NW (2nd). The NW looks brighter to me:thinking: (camera view or stronger batteries?)
2:24-2:37 Compare Eagletac G25C2 to EA4. The G25C2 (rated 856 lm) looks a tad brighter to me.
2:45-3:09 Compare Eagletac GX25 to EA4. The GX25 (rated 870 lm) looks brighter to me.

Some random thoughts about these high outputs. All of these manufacturer's must be pushing the max current (or more) per the Cree specs for XM-L. Either that or they truly are getting the higher output tolerance leds (Cree specs +/-7% from nominal flux values)-Cree Charts:

1. Max current (3000mA) gives 325% times more flux than at 100% base current of 700.mA. Therefore, at 3Amps: 975lm vs base 300lm for U2 and 910lm vs base 280lm for T6.

2. Eagletac lists their G25C2 U2 emitter at 1030lm. Not sure how they can push it that hard, especially since the Cree spec is with a Tjunction of 25o​C. In flashlights, Tj​ is probably closer to 75o​C where Cree derates the outputs by 10%. So now we're down to 878 lm and 819lm. for the EA4s. (Note: Cree specs the new XM-L2 at 85o​C so the spec is no longer inflated at real life temps.)

3. I don't know the efficiency of the EA4 lens and reflector, but Eagletac specs the G25C2 emitter at 1030lm while the ANSI FL-1 value is 856lm. So, based on very similar ANSI outputs, I assume the EA4 CW is pushing the U2 to about the same level.

Bottom line, these three referenced lights are all leading edge bright. It's a good thing the Turbo modes step down after 3 minutes or else these leds would suffer early death and/or change color.

Last edited:

herosemblem

Enlightened
Neutral White (the only one anyone would buy anyway) = backordered at IlluminationSupply. I snooze & lose :thumbsup:.

Devildude

Enlightened
Neutral White (the only one anyone would buy anyway) = backordered at IlluminationSupply. I snooze & lose :thumbsup:.

Mine was a neutral white and it shows against my TK41, but just as bright at the top end and easier on the eyes.

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast
All of these manufacturer's must be pushing the max current (or more) per the Cree specs for XM-L. Either that or they truly are getting the higher output tolerance leds (Cree specs +/-7% from nominal flux values)-Cree Charts:

1. Max current (3000mA) gives 325% times more flux than at 100% base current of 700.mA. Therefore, at 3Amps: 975lm vs base 300lm for U2 and 910lm vs base 280lm for T6.

2. Eagletac lists their G25C2 U2 emitter at 1030lm. Not sure how they can push it that hard, especially since the Cree spec is with a Tjunction of 25o​C. In flashlights, Tj​ is probably closer to 75o​C where Cree derates the outputs by 10%. So now we're down to 878 lm and 819lm. for the EA4s. (Note: Cree specs the new XM-L2 at 85o​C so the spec is no longer inflated at real life temps.)

3. I don't know the efficiency of the EA4 lens and reflector, but Eagletac specs the G25C2 emitter at 1030lm while the ANSI FL-1 value is 856lm. So, based on very similar ANSI outputs, I assume the EA4 CW is pushing the U2 to about the same level.

Bottom line, these three referenced lights are all leading edge bright. It's a good thing the Turbo modes step down after 3 minutes or else these leds would suffer early death and/or change color.

The new Eagletac SX25A6 XMLU2 is listed with 1130 emitter lumens and 925 ANSI lumens.

markr6

Flashaholic
I'm at work but just heard over 17,000 power customers in my county don't have power (very high winds). I hope I don't...I want to give my EA4 a good workout!

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gordo's toilet roll seems huge...I've never seen anything like. And dc38's ain't much better.. It would be nice to get some size comparisons with a standard EU sized toilet roll.

In fact, I demand that all further light/roll comparisons should conform to EU toilet rolling standards!

Wait a minute! I knew that the European countries standardized their currency by agreeing to universally switch to the Euro, but did they also standardize toilet paper roll size? Wow, when countries make big moves like toilet paper roll standardization, you have to wonder whats next! But I guess its better than no toilet paper at all, like in some countries.

The EA4 does seem to be almost exactly the size of a roll of TP. That makes it easy and convenient to get a feel for how it will fit in your hand without actually having to see the light. Just grab an empty roll!

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
Team, I got my EA4 NW yesterday (Thursday) from Illumination Supply, and am very impressed by the speedy service... I ordered it on Monday night!

This light is divine! It has finally scratched my 1+ year itch for the Zebralight Q50. I would say that it is everything I had hoped for from the Zebralight Q50, minus two things: 1) I was kind of partial to the unique squared shape of the Q50; 2) I figure that Zebralight would have been able to get a lower lumen "low" on this light... To think, that just a few years ago, 65 lumens would have been a reasonable "high" on an LED light! But, those points aside, I'm deeply impressed. Bright, excellent throw, beautiful beam characteristics and color, and a very good UI that feels solid. I compared it to my Sunwayman M40A (which I adore) and it is nearly as bright on turbo (just a hair less bright) but significantly more compact and lighter overall. It also has a slightly lower low than the M40A as well, and a much nice beam color with the neutral. Plus, I really like the UI as it is simple and easy to do with 1 hand, while the M40A really requires 2 hands for me to use (Magnetic but with only 4 discrete steps).

In sum, this is my new go-to light. I love it and it makes a wall of light when needed but is nice and compact, and runs on my beloved eneloops. I am a happy man!

Last edited:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm wondering about the tint on my NW EA4. It's not a problem outdoors where of course it belongs, but indoors its odd.

The following whitewall was about 18" away. The level was on the lowest or next to lowest setting. The hotspot truly is a blinding white with the immediate corona a bit yellow as shown. However, the spill is actually a light magenta which the camera only shows as grey. I included a color swath that closely mimics what I actually see in the spill. Anybody else seeing this?

Nitecore%2520EA4-WallTint1a.JPG
Close to actual spill color
EA4_BestSpillMatch3.jpg

Also, I know the light supposedly has a mineral glass lens with anti-reflective coating (per the website), so I reflected a 40w soft white desk lamp bulb off the lens. Surprisingly, it was a deep pink/magenta color while the smaller images (bouncing off the reflector?) are pure white. My two Quarks are supposed to have AR coatings on the inside surface, but only reflect a white/cool white image of the bulb. I'm wondering if the EA4 lens could have been installed backwards?

Anybody else see this type of reflection?
Thanks,

Actually I can see something like that in all my XM-L lights with coated lens. The hotspot can be white, corona yellow and then a purple or magenta spill. I think it's because of the coating.

InquisitiveInquirer

Enlightened
I compared it to my Sunwayman M40A (which I adore) and it is nearly as bright on turbo (just a hair less bright) but significantly more compact and lighter overall. It also has a slightly lower low then the M40A as well, and a much nice beam color with the neutral. Plus, I really like the UI as it is simple and easy to do with 1 hand, while the M40A really requires 2 hands for me to use (Magnetic but with only 4 discrete steps).

How does the EA4 compare in throw to the M40A? BTW, is the M40A you have the XM-L U2 or the MC-E?

tam17

Enlightened
Actually I can see something like that in all my XM-L lights with coated lens. The hotspot can be white, corona yellow and then a purple or magenta spill. I think it's because of the coating.

Yes, that's the exact phenomenon which puzzled all PA40 users back in the day. The lens AR coating is the most probable cause.

Cheers

jomox

Newly Enlightened
Not sure if this beamshot was posted on this thread but it sold the EA4 to me (Will order it next month)
DSC05254.jpg

I wanted something AA, asked my supplier and they said the EA4 is their personal favorite, they have most Fenix lights and others in stock also, seems like a great light for the money. I'll find out how durable it is over time though.

Last edited:

RBH

Newly Enlightened
Is the beamshot the cool or neutral version ? Makes me glad I've got one coming.

Thanks Bruce

jomox

Newly Enlightened
That's the cool white version, another below, tree at about 55mm (One above: tree lines are at around 200m,) Not sure if allowed to post direct link as not sure if its rival site (Credits to flashlight man)

http://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/s524/bear_down1/DSC05253.jpg?t=1355017637

Lower shutter speed.

http://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/s524/bear_down1/DSC05292.jpg?t=1355097944

Your images are too large and have been replaced with links Please resize and repost.
See Rule #3 If you post an image in your post, please downsize the image to no larger than 800 x 800 pixels. - Thanks Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

Up All Night

Enlightened
Don't base your expectations on the first two beamshots, they're extemely overexposed. Lights with twice the lux won't light a treeline @ 200 meters like that.

InquisitiveInquirer

Enlightened
At 18500 lux against 20000 lux for the EA4, theoretically any way, the EA4 should throw better.

I recall reading in some thread before that the XM-L U2 M40A did 24000 lux though? In case some ppl use different measurements for their lux, i wanted to see applevisions opinion on throw on it vs the EA4 since he physically owns both.