**NEW** Nitecore EA8

tickled

Newly Enlightened
Re: NEW Nitecore EA8

Specs say it should be very comparable to the TK41 in output and runtime at max and in throw and beam intensity. The only question is how much cheaper the EA8 will be and will it come in neutral T6 3C versions. I already like the mode spacing on the EA8 over the TK41.

InquisitiveInquirer

Enlightened

^
Yeah the mode spacing of the EA8 is the thing that attracts me the most (second to how it's 3cm shorter than the tk41 while having about same outputs and runtimes). Plus it's got a nice ss bezel, which i'm a sucker for.

FoxyRick

Newly Enlightened

Am i correct that the EA8 only compares strongly with the TK41 while the EA8 is in turbo mode? So after the first few minutes, the EA8 would fall behind the TK41 with only(!) 580 lumens compared to 860 lumens for the TK41...

markr6

Flashaholic

I already like the mode spacing on the EA8 over the TK41.
Sure does have a nice spacing. 2lumens! Timing doesn't seem possible but it's almost like Nitecore took our advice. We beat them up pretty good here on CPF about the low 65lumens on the EA4.

Excited to see some reviews when it's out. I need this light like a hole in the head, but I've said that before...

tickled

Newly Enlightened

Am i correct that the EA8 only compares strongly with the TK41 while the EA8 is in turbo mode? So after the first few minutes, the EA8 would fall behind the TK41 with only(!) 580 lumens compared to 860 lumens for the TK41...
TK41
860L: 2h19m

EA8
900L: 2h
590L: 3h45m

EA4
860L with stepdown: 1h45m
550L: 2h

Judging by that, I would think that there's no stepdown.

Last edited:

MIKES250R

Enlightened

SX 25A6

Output and Runtime
Led lumen: 1130-1010/470/10
ANSI FL-1 lumen: 925-828/386/9
Runtime: 1.8/3.3/200+ hours

ArmoredFiend

Newly Enlightened

Nice and simple comparison!
Any chance of editing and include NC EA4's 11.7cm as well since it uses 4AA too. No doubt there are many other factors to consider, but in a glance..it would be useful to gauge how big they all are.

I was just doing a quick length size comparison based on the specs of various lights, and i must say that the EA8 is very impressive. Compared to a very similar Fenix TK41, it's shorter by a pretty big 3cm. Furthermore, it's about the same size as other 4AA lights (except EA4 of course). Check it out:

18.2cm - Nitecore EA8 ( 8AA )
21.4cm - Fenix TK41 ( 8AA )
18.3cm - Jetbeam PA40 ( 4AA )
18.0cm - Fenix E40 ( 4AA )
17.5cm - Fenix LD41 ( 4AA )
18.0cm - Olight S65 Baton ( 6AA )
17.3cm - Eagletac SX25A6 ( 6AA )

MIKES250R

Enlightened

I would take the SX25A6 over any of the above mentioned. It beats them handily. The Eagletac really is that good.

FoxyRick

Newly Enlightened

Judging by that, I would think that there's no stepdown.

It would be good if that were the case. I do not think that we can tell really though, since both the EA4 and EA8 descriptions in the catalogue read the same way except for the actual numbers. There is nothing on either to really indicate drop-down, other than the use of the word 'turbo' to imply it.

I'm hoping, from the much longer run-time at 590L output that the 900L output is rated full-time. My guess though is that it will still step down for heat management to protect the light from general consumers.

We'll have to wait and see I suppose.

In any case, I still like my SX25A6 even though it doesn't have as much (claimed) intensity.

RBH

Newly Enlightened

In my EA4, use of the turbo to any degree drops the run time an unacceptable level. If the EA8 runs twice as long, your probably looking at less than an hour with light to moderate turbo use. With heavy turbo use, I wouldn't expect much. I guess we'll see when people get their hands on some.

8 AA's should be able to give enough power for this light to put out 900 lumens for a few hours.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast

In my EA4, use of the turbo to any degree drops the run time an unacceptable level. If the EA8 runs twice as long, your probably looking at less than an hour with light to moderate turbo use. With heavy turbo use, I wouldn't expect much. I guess we'll see when people get their hands on some.

I will compare this to the Fenix TK41. The Fenix TK41 claims 2 hours and 10 minutes of runtime using the same amount of AA cells. I am not aware of the Fenix stepping down after a few minutes, so somebody that owns one may be able to chime in if that is so. If the EA8 is designed similar, it should have no problem pumping out 900 lumens for the same amount of time. I own a fenix TK40 and it does not step down, but it is almost 2 years old. The Fenix battery holder is configured where it runs 4 cells in series and 4 cells in parallel. Using 2000mah batteries, you end up with a 4.8v 4000 Mah battery pack equivalent. If the EA8 is designed this way, I would bet it will not switch to high after 3 minutes. Like you said though, we will find out when it is released! :naughty:

skeeterbait

Newly Enlightened

From the video it appears to have the same EA4 switch, that is a shame. Would have liked to have seen the switch used in the TM15 and EC25. Still I may buy one for my elderly father to replace his pair of incandescent 2d maglights. He won't understand the concept of why it has to have 8AA instead of 2d but he will be amazed with it's performance. He has 150 yards of back yard run and it will light that distance up for him. He will be happy and I won't have to be concerned about him using lithium.

For me I will still hold out hope that Nitecore will put a single emitter large reflector head on a TM parallel 4x18650 body. Maybe an XML2 and push 90k cd.

PhatPhil

Newly Enlightened

Updated the list above with some more details. Any corrections or additions please let me know :)

aaflashlights.png

Last edited:

InquisitiveInquirer

Enlightened

From the video it appears to have the same EA4 switch, that is a shame. Would have liked to have seen the switch used in the TM15 and EC25.

Ditto that. Seems that the older sister, the EA8, since she's donning the same flimsy plastic protection, will be just as inclined to unexpected pregnancies like its younger, wilder sister, the EA4. hehehe... If only the EA sisters would be more disciplined and chaste like their TM stepsisters, always donning their metallic, unbreakable chastity belts.

Seriously though, maybe they choose the plastic button because it's cheaper, allowing them to offer the EA8 at a cheaper price?

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast

I wonder how simple it would be to remove and replace the switch cover on the EA4 or 8? With all the lights I have, I may have some that are interchangable. I also bought a few lights that came with extra covers.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well my girlfriend just order an EA4W for me for valentines day, looks like I'm have to get it's bigger brother when it comes out to complete my AA light selection. Have an E21, the EA4, and then the EA8, they just double in the number of batteries as we go up.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast

SX 25A6

Output and Runtime
Led lumen: 1130-1010/470/10
ANSI FL-1 lumen: 925-828/386/9
Runtime: 1.8/3.3/200+ hours

I just looked at that light, the Eagletac SX25A6, and I dont like the mode spacing on it at all. It starts at 9 lumens and jumps to 386 lumens from there? Might there be at least 1 or 2 modes in between 9L and 386L that may be useful?

FoxyRick

Newly Enlightened

The SX25A6 can work in one of two modes; tactical and regular. The mode is programmed in by doing a repeated twisting of the head. I stick to regular.

In Tactical, the output levels are 100%, 15%, strobe and in regular they are 100%, 40%, 0.5%. That's from the manual.

These percentages don't seem to relate to the numbers given in the specifications. Perhaps the percentages are drive currents rather than output. In any case, I find the regular mode spacing quite adequate. The low level is fine indoors for a little bit of light (I have no use for very low lows) and the mid and high are good for lots of light or outdoors. Each to his own though.

Having said that, if Eagletac had put on a selector ring with more options like Sunwayman uses instead of just an unscrewing head, it would have been perfect.