**NEW** Nitecore EA8

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: NEW Nitecore EA8

From the video it appears to have the same EA4 switch, that is a shame. Would have liked to have seen the switch used in the TM15 and EC25. Still I may buy one for my elderly father to replace his pair of incandescent 2d maglights. He won't understand the concept of why it has to have 8AA instead of 2d but he will be amazed with it's performance. He has 150 yards of back yard run and it will light that distance up for him. He will be happy and I won't have to be concerned about him using lithium.

For me I will still hold out hope that Nitecore will put a single emitter large reflector head on a TM parallel 4x18650 body. Maybe an XML2 and push 90k cd.

Very nice of you. I suggest that perhaps if he is still using 2d incan maglites even a 2aa light like a Fenix E21 will be a huge improvement :) Or another good option would be something like the Fenix LD41. To get the most out of these multiple aa lights it's best to use NiMh so unless you also get him a lot of good Eneloops and a great charger a light using fewer aa's might be better. With 2aa's you could get him a nice stockpile of aa lithiums that give good power throughout the runtime and also then you don't have to worry about his light leaking (at least as long as he's using the lithium aa's). You're right that the larger multiple aa lights have great throw. The Fenix TK41 is still beast mode too and probably a better thrower still--- might not be as easy though since it uses a carrier.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast

From the video it appears to have the same EA4 switch, that is a shame. Would have liked to have seen the switch used in the TM15 and EC25. Still I may buy one for my elderly father to replace his pair of incandescent 2d maglights. He won't understand the concept of why it has to have 8AA instead of 2d but he will be amazed with it's performance. He has 150 yards of back yard run and it will light that distance up for him. He will be happy and I won't have to be concerned about him using lithium.

For me I will still hold out hope that Nitecore will put a single emitter large reflector head on a TM parallel 4x18650 body. Maybe an XML2 and push 90k cd.

Actually ... I thought of an awesome light for him too. The Fenix TK50 uses 2 D cells. It is a thrower more than having lots of spill, but it will still blow any incan light out of the water. If he is trying to see stuff really far away outside the spill won't matter that much anyway. The D cells would be super easy for him to replace too. If he replaces them every once in a while I wouldn't worry that much about alkaleaks :) If Fenix puts an xm-l into the tk50 format body I would buy one right away or as a present. The D cells just make so much sense to non flashaholics and you can get great run time.

Verndog

Enlightened

I just looked at that light, the Eagletac SX25A6, and I dont like the mode spacing on it at all. It starts at 9 lumens and jumps to 386 lumens from there? Might there be at least 1 or 2 modes in between 9L and 386L that may be useful?

Exactly...loved the light but hated the mode spacing! They mixed in 200 somthing in mode 2 but then your dancing around with strobe mode to get at at...plus a twist of head. Too bad...I would have spent the $$ had they not FUBARED the mode spacing.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast

Really anxious for this light to come out. I emailed Nitecore and they said it was available and to check with my local distributor but no one has it. Any idea where I can find it?

ThirstyTurtle

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have the EA4 and love it but the low is way too high as many people have complained.

So why does the EA8 get a very well-placed low @ 2 lumens? I'm jealous. Shouldn't the smaller light get the lower low? You're not going to carry around 8 AA's to use 2 lumens...

markr6

Flashaholic

I have the EA4 and love it but the low is way too high as many people have complained.

So why does the EA8 get a very well-placed low @ 2 lumens? I'm jealous. Shouldn't the smaller light get the lower low? You're not going to carry around 8 AA's to use 2 lumens...

FANTASTIC mode spacing on this EA8. I'm jealous too! Nitecore would have to be crazy not to update the EA4 with similar spacing...and SOON before Zebralight releases the S5310 (well, let's not get into that :))

InquisitiveInquirer

Enlightened

I just skimmed the manual and there doesn't seem to be a thermal stepdown after 3 minutes like it's little brother, the EA4.

It's coming out with a neutral as well. Looks to be a solid light. I'll most likely be getting it. It's a shame the button wasn't changed though. Ah well...

Last edited:

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast

I dont think Nitecore ever mentiom a stepdown, they just put the big numbers, see the MT series!

Sent from my ST27i using Tapatalk 2

david57strat

Enlightened

I dont think Nitecore ever mentiom a stepdown, they just put the big numbers, see the MT series!

Sent from my ST27i using Tapatalk 2

The PDF manual for the Nitecore EA4 mentions stepdown:

"For user safety and to prevent overheating / failure, the EA4 will automatically switch to high mode after three minutes of use in Turbo Mode."

I imagine, the same (or similar) holds true with the EA8, but couldn't say for sure. I haven't seen that PDF manual.

Patriot

Flashaholic

I'm not really a huge 8xAA fan BUT, this light as some pretty impressive numbers for its size. I am a bit skeptical of the 900L for 2 hours but we'll know when the first reports come out.

I should have one of these for testing fairly soon and I'll try to pass along the time frame as soon as they tell me.

InquisitiveInquirer

Enlightened

I'm not really a huge 8xAA fan BUT, this light as some pretty impressive numbers for its size. I am a bit skeptical of the 900L for 2 hours but we'll know when the first reports come out.

I should have one of these for testing fairly soon and I'll try to pass along the time frame as soon as they tell me.

Yes, keep us posted! I'm really eager to hear about this light. Still can't find it for sale in the typical spots.

markr6

Flashaholic

HA! $99 as predicted. Well, I was off by 95 cents

InquisitiveInquirer

Enlightened

How many EA4 owners also getting the EA8?

Off topic, but I wonder if they'll ever do a EA4 v2 with the mode spacing of an EA8? Wouldn't that be awesome?