*NEW* Nitecore EC4 & EC4S: (Possible) 2x18650, 2000 Lumens

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
which thread had the light broken down and stripped? can't find it

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
FMDgANC.jpg

so i managed a few days' downtime on the ec4s to test this battery drain issue

i used four brand-new KeepPower protected NCR18650BE. all topped off on the same slot of the nitecore UM20. 4.17v hot off the charger. allowed to settle about 24hrs

one pair went into the flashlight, the other pair just sat outside the flashlight

Cvy51MS.jpg

test began Oct 15 w/ all cells at 4.15v

by Oct 21 the cells INSIDE the flashlight: 4.11v

OUTSIDE the flashlight: 4.13v

creegeek

Newly Enlightened
The flashlight does a "power on" battery test each time the batteries are connected... did your experiment cause this to occur for each measurement?

And what is the current draw of the flashlight in standby?

I measure my EA45S and some others and got the following:

* Nitecore EA45S standby current 0.09mAh. After 556 days an Eneloop Pro will be at 50% of capacity
* Nitecore EC11 standby current 0.09mAh. After 347 days an Energizer CR123A will be at 50% of capacity
* Nitecore EA21 standby current 0.34mAh. After 147 days an Eneloop Pro will be at 50% of capacity
* Nitecore EA41 standby current 0.55mAh. After 91 days an Eneloop Pro will be at 50% of capacity

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
Not too far off from mine.

From a few pages back in this thread:

Oct 8, 4PM: Cells charged to 4.17v (after resting) then inserted into EC4S. More like 4.16v at that point.
Oct 9, 7AM: 4.15v
Oct 12, 4PM: 4.13v

But 60uA on mine measured on DMM

Stalkii

Newly Enlightened
Re: EC4S: 2x18650 2150lm

After this interchange, just to get me to shut up, they'll have to. :p

Just saying, the EC4S does have a lockout that makes it twelve month capable.

Can anyone confirm that the EC4S really has this lockout? And does it work?

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast

Can anyone confirm that the EC4S really has this lockout? And does it work?
From my reading of posts and in the use of my Nitecore EC4 the light does not have a lock out.

creegeek

Newly Enlightened

It has an electronic lockout to prevent accidental on/off... but there is a current drain regardless.

If you're using rechargeable then just remember to top it off every year.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm confused. (Not the first time)

With the light on (convenient to see when circuit opens), I am able to unscrew the knurled endcap on my EC4S until the electrical connection is broken; using unprotected 18650GA from mtnelectronics, if that makes a difference...

I did get this unit from dazed1's 'insane' price, group buy, delivered some few days ago. Illumn offered a good weekend discount on NiteCore flashlights the weekend after I ordered.

Last edited:

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm confused. (Not the first time)

With the light on (convenient to see when circuit opens), I am able to unscrew the knurled endcap on my EC4S until the electrical connection is broken; using unprotected 18650GA from mtnelectronics, if that makes a difference...

I did get this unit from dazed1's 'insane' price, group buy, delivered some few days ago. Illumn offered a good weekend discount on NiteCore flashlights the weekend after I ordered.
I have the Nitecore EC4 and it took 7 quarter turn to break the current leaving the tail cap only three of the same quarter turns before falling off! Maybe the newer EC4S is different, but this method of breaking current on my EC4 will not cut it for me as a service light.

I used Eagletac 3100mAh batteries in my test just minutes ago.

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast

It has an electronic lockout to prevent accidental on/off... but there is a current drain regardless.

If you're using rechargeable then just remember to top it off every year.
From my reading of the information the 'lock out' is for accidental turning on the light only, and if you expected to only top off the light every year, you might not like the surprise of finding out if you were in error. For my EC4 I keep the batteries out of the light except when in use.

Stalkii

Newly Enlightened

From my reading of the information the 'lock out' is for accidental turning on the light only, and if you expected to only top off the light every year, you might not like the surprise of finding out if you were in error. For my EC4 I keep the batteries out of the light except when in use.

Ok. Thank you. I guess I will stick with batteries out then. Just to make sure ;)

markr6

Flashaholic

I posted it in another EC4S thread, but here are the results of leaving my batteries in the EC4S for about 10 days.

11/2: 4.14v - starting voltage (short rest after charging)
11/3: 4.13v
11/4: 4.13v
11/5: 4.13v
(missed a few days)
11/8: 4.12v
11/9: 4.12v
11/10: 4.12v
11/11: 4.12v

dazzleaj

Newly Enlightened

The high drain at rest is the thing that has kept me from getting this light. I have many nice lights and enjoy them all but I find it an inconvenience to pick up a light and have the cap fall off because I have unscrewed it. (yes, some only take 1 turn, it is still a pain to remember which ones need to be unscrewed and which ones don't)
I do not use a light for work on a daily basis and the lights that I keep in my shop and around the house are the $10 or less knockoffs with laptop cells. All of these are the clickie type with no drain. I have them all over the house so there is one anywhere that light might ever be needed. I have at least 20 in "service" at any given time.
For any excursion that will take me out of the house I Always top off the light of choice. If I will be away from an outlet, like camping, I take several lights instead of taking extra cells. This way I have flood, thrower, and small pocket lights for a variety of capabilities. For the light in the car I have settled on the Fenix UC35. It is tail clickie and USB rechargeable. My car has a USB port in it and I can charge it up on the road if needed.

Back to the EC4S. All arguments are valid from a very specific perspective and each person has his or her own perspective but If the drain was not there would anyone say;
"This dam light has NO DRAIN!! Who the hell would design a light with no drain!! I will Never, I mean NEVER own a light that wont suck the batteries dry and force me to keep them charged!!"

Not meaning to rub anyone's nose in it ya know, i'm just saying...

jlodvo

Newly Enlightened
hello guys got a pair of ec4s and was wondering whats the best way to raise the positive terminals, i only have a pair of nipples 18650 batts, and common 18650 in my area are flat-tops and wont work, any good idea on how to fix this? also is thierany link on how to remove the front board? was thinking of soldering something on the terminals to raise it a bit, or may some have modded this and might have a tutorial thanks in advance

less

Newly Enlightened
how long a fully loaded 18650 last in FL? I'm seeing some slow drain, but few websites results waries from 0,1 drop/week to double that.
thx for answers, I'm really interested in this light

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have no idea.

Whether they need it or not, I charge the batteries in the EC4S about once a month or when Turbo and High have the same output. In the case of the EC4 and the TM16, I have the batteries removed and stored in plastic cases. For the TM16GT, I have the back of the battery case unscrewed so there's no parasitic drain.

Ghost_sk

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys. Right now thanks for m4dm4x there is a posibility to buy EC4 for aproximately 27€. I am really interesting because I am still dont have any decent thrower.

Do you think that it is worth for this price? Thank you