New Nitecore Superb Charger - SC4

HKJ

Flashaholic
The number of circuits is relevant, because it will affect the charge current. When time-sharing on two slots you have to double the charge current to maintain the same average current or you can maintain the same current and halve the average current (This is what SC4, i4, D4 does). This also means if you set all 4 slots to charge with 0.5A, the average current will be 0.25A due to the time-sharing.
With time-sharing chargers I try to use slot to describe the slots :D and not call them channels. You can also have chargers with a circuit for each slot that will reduce current, but they usual only reduce the maximum current and do not change current when charging at lower rates (In this case I may use slot/channel interchangeable).

tripplec

Enlightened
I'd like to know if any of you with the SC4 have tried and or use various Protected 18650 cells (which are longer). From the spec's and my own measurement of my cells they either would not fit or would be so tight removing/inserting may break the plastic.

david57strat

Enlightened
I'd like to know if any of you with the SC4 have tried and or use various Protected 18650 cells (which are longer). From the spec's and my own measurement of my cells they either would not fit or would be so tight removing/inserting may break the plastic.

I have been able to fit longer protected 18650 batteries in this charger, that didn't fit in any of my others, except for my XTAR VP2. Also, the spring tension on the SC4 is fairly light, compared to all of my other chargers, so I don't get the feeling I'm going to overstretch the spring and make it snap apart lol.

How long are your longest 18650 protected cells?

HKJ

Flashaholic
I have the big brother, the All-88. It's a tiny bit quirky, slightly odd interface, weird choice in LED-colors, but it's worked flawlessly, and so far never given me any grief. :)

The user interface has change a bit on the new generation of the All chargers (I believe), I have them in queue and will look on them after a few chargers more.

tripplec

Enlightened
I have been able to fit longer protected 18650 batteries in this charger, that didn't fit in any of my others, except for my XTAR VP2. Also, the spring tension on the SC4 is fairly light, compared to all of my other chargers, so I don't get the feeling I'm going to overstretch the spring and make it snap apart lol.

How long are your longest 18650 protected cells?

They just under 71mm but for sure more than the 70mm in the review. I posted about it then but don't have my calipers handy to do it again.

david57strat

Enlightened
I have the big brother, the All-88. It's a tiny bit quirky, slightly odd interface, weird choice in LED-colors, but it's worked flawlessly, and so far never given me any grief. :)

I need more chargers, like I need a hole in the head lol (I have 20, to date; well, 22, if you count the 2 D4s, which haven't entirely been put out to pasture) - 7 (or 9, if you count the D4s) of which are 4-slot chargers, and 1 is a 6). But, for the hell of it, I went ahead and watched a few YouTube video reviews on the All-88, and wasn't very impressed with the interface, or the overall appearance of the charger. The quality seemed a little bit cheesy.

There were also some complaints about the wells not properly making contact with larger batteries like D NiMhs. They kept falling out of place, and had to be continually re-adjusted (pressure put on the batteries) to make a positive contact. This seems like a serious design flaw, to me.

Maybe they worked out this issue. I certainly hope so.

On the other hand, I like that the readouts seem to give you a host of information, for all channels simultaneously, without having to toggle through separate screen displays. That's a nice touch.

Do you really have to pre-program each and every slot, for the specific battery type and voltage with which you're going to charge that battery, before you can even install the battery? That would be a pain in the neck, for me. I have way too many batteries to be bothered with that.

I'm happy to manually override a preset (default) charge rate, etc., when I feel like it's warranted, but to have to do that with each and every insertion of a battery...oh, hell no.

Lastly, evidently, the charger comes with spacers, to accommodate the smaller batteries. I am vehemently against using spacers in any of my chargers, I feel the spring tension should be adequate that it can accommodate any size battery I want to use in it (assuming the battery is on the specified compatibility list for that charger, naturally), without adding even more parts, in between my batteries and the charger, itself.

I also believe a smart charger ought to be to automatically distinguish the type of battery chemistry in a battery you insert in each its wells, and all independently of each other, so you can mix and match chemistries, without ever having to tell it what you're installing in any given slot. I thought all mixed-chemistry chargers did this.

They don't?

Last edited:

david57strat

Enlightened
They just under 71mm but for sure more than the 70mm in the review. I posted about it then but don't have my calipers handy to do it again.

Unfortunately, I don't have digital calipers, either, to take a length measurement on my oversized batteries, or I would.

I have a question for those people who have measured their battery length, with calipers. How do you do this, accurately, without shorting out the battery? It seems, to me, that with both ends of the calipers, making contact with both ends of the battery, that would cause it to short/fail. Using any kind of spacer would defeat the purpose of calipers, unless you had something that was s fixed width, and subtracted that width, from the overall measurement...?

Last edited:

HKJ

Flashaholic
I have a question for those people who have measured their battery length, with calipers. How do you do this, accurately, without shorting out the battery? It seems, to me, that with both ends of the calipers, making contact with both ends of the battery, that would cause it to short/fail. Using any kind of spacer would defeat the purpose of calipers, unless you had something that was s fixed width, and subtracted that width, from the overall measurement...?

The answer is tape. Put some tape on the jaws of the caliper and then zero it before measuring.

terjee

Enlightened
SC4_protected.JPG

This is a Keepower and an Eagtac protected cell, the two longest I have. Next to them is a VTC5A and an AA Eneloop, for scale.

It didn't feel like any problem to use the charger with these cells.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess a merge between SC4 and Xtar SV4 (hypothetical) would be an ideal charger. SC4 is too noisy and "relaxed" on termination voltage. Sometimes it finishes at 4.16V, sometimes at 4.13V...

Last edited:

david57strat

Enlightened
I guess a merge between SC4 and Xtar SV4 (hypothetical) would be an ideal charger. SC4 is too noisy and "relaxed" on termination voltage. Sometimes it finishes at 4.16V, sometimes at 4.13V...

I have four SV2s. I only wish they made an SV4, that could actually charge four 18650s at 2 Amps/Hr./slot lol.

Even my Dragon won't do that - but only 2 at 2 Amps, or 4 at 1 Amp.

The SC4 is the closest thing I've come to, that can actually charge as many as three batteries, at 2 Amps, each.

Last edited:

david57strat

Enlightened
Plastic Vernier Caliper google that.

I would love one that has a nice, super clear digital readout, and could measure in English or Metric, and that would measure up to maybe a foot, or so. This would measure most of my lights, and of course, all of my batteries.

Also, who makes a really high quality set of vernier calipers, with non-conductive "teeth" (not sure what they're really called). I subscribe to the "Buy once, cry once" mentality, and I prefer buying super high quality tools that are going to last me a long time.

Last edited:

tripplec

Enlightened
My digital calipers have a zero button to ensure its reading zero when closed and are not metal. They should not be hard to find but depends on your area. Not specified in the post.

I got mine from Princess Auto or Auto parts places should carry something.

scintillator

Enlightened
I got these;
Ares6-Inch Composite Vernier Digital Caliper with LCD Screen | ARES 70019 | Measure and Convert in Inches and Millimeters,on the huge marketplace named after a jungle.
I have been happy with them,but no case and you will have to replace the battery once a year or so.
Of course Mitutoyo 500-474 Digital Calipers is the best in my opinion but they will really hurt the pocketbook.:)

Last edited:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
My digital calipers have a zero button to ensure its reading zero when closed and are not metal. They should not be hard to find but depends on your area. Not specified in the post.

I got mine from Princess Auto or Auto parts places should carry something.

Just put two strips of Scotch tape on the blades, zero out the caliper and go to town.

No reason to buy a special plastic set.

We're not building space shuttles here.

Chris

Latest posts