*new* Olight S10

charlie_hng

Newly Enlightened
Just ordered one and couldn't wait to get it on hand. From the spec it gets everything I need, though unsure how easy the side switch will be activated in pocket. I owned Zebra SC50W and it turns on easily in a jean pocket. The reversible clip looks good so I can pull the light and turn on without looking for the switch. Strategically the CEO of Olight (also the owner of 4SEVENS) shuts iTP to survive Olight, so I gave up hope waiting for new iTP releases. Before Baton S10, the SA1 Eluma is my favorite. Let's see how good the S10 is.

radu1976

Enlightened
I would buy this light in a heartbreak but I am not sure the specs are 100% real : 320 lumens for 1.5hrs ??!
An only 7cm clickie CR123 flashlight ?
OLIGHT I1 was listed as putting 180 lumens for 1.7hrs. According to Selfbuilt's review the I1 actually puts 260 lumens for almost 1.5hrs ; regulation wasn't perfect but was decent enough comparative to other lights using a one CR123 battery.
So, I1 was underestimated by the brand !
I1 is using a XM-L T5 or T6 while the S10 an U2 ; the difference in efficiency shouldn't be too sharp.
Lots of us can't wait for the new XP-G2s lights coming at the corner though :)

Last edited:

lightmyfire13

Enlightened
i love this torch,small bright and with great low modes & a strong magnet,hope there is a AA 14500 version in the pipeline.

ohio72

Newly Enlightened
Charlie I've been carrying this light in my pocket for the last three days and not once have I had it turn on on me. I think you will be very happy you bought this light.

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the initial s10 preview but the bezel up clip carry
'killed it" i think.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I ordered one. I like the stainless steel bezel, the magnetic tail, the side switch, the fact that it turns on at the last level used, but can go straight to moon mode, that it can use a rechargeable 123. The 70 lumen (likely the most often used setting) 7.5 hour run time sounds pretty good (if true). One thing I don`t understand is the 320 lumen output sounds weak off a rechargeable, compared to others, but perhaps the run time might be longer and more predictable. And the low price (relative to others).

Not crazy about the clip, but perhaps I can live with it, all things considered. Thought about waiting for a review from some of our excellent reviewers...but...just in case it`s great...I beat the crowd. And if it`s not...someone will find it under the tree come Christmas wrapped up in pretty paper ;)

Last edited:

TweakMDS

Enlightened
Nice light, seems that it has a lot of things to offer that I'm looking for in a compact light:
- Moonlight
- nice mode spacing (who needs 150 lumens "medium" with a 320 max, 0.5, 5 and 70 seem nice although it could have been 0.5, 5 and 35 for me)
- Compact
- runtimes seem very optimistic on the 5 and 70 lumens, but if it's true (or 75% of it), this would be a very nice option to run on primaries since the lower modes would be very efficient.

The clip is unusual but what I like about it is that it seems to carry a bit "further" from whatever you clip it to. Maybe better on a belt than for example the EagleTac clip, which is great as well (and is good on/in a pocket).

Not so sure about the magnet, I feel like it will eventually kill the magnet strip on my creditcards (although I don't have a clue if those are still needed with the chip), so will have to be careful on where I pack this light relative to my wallet.

Still, it's nice to see some variations in lights.

Last edited:

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm, wondering how the magnet might affect a cell phone. Always just carry mine in the pocket...

DavidMB

Newly Enlightened
I don't think it will damage a cell phone. Some new phones like the iPhone have a compass chip inside. It could affect that if it's too close, but it would not do permanent damage.

Racer

Enlightened
Heh, be sure to backup your laptop/notebook/netbook before you put this light in your bag with it.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heh, be sure to backup your laptop/notebook/netbook before you put this light in your bag with it.
That's untrue. The magnet is gonna need to be a whole heckuva lot more powerful to wipe or damage a laptop hdd, much less that of a desktop

DrewDT

Newly Enlightened
I wonder if the magnet will affect credit cards and key access cards.

vincent3664

Newly Enlightened
I like the initial s10 preview but the bezel up clip carry
'killed it" i think.
The clip is removable and reversible. Kind of like the Sunwayman V10R. It wraps around the body of the light so it can be turned 360 degrees or removed altogether. You can easily pop it off and just turn it around for bezel down carry.

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks tobrien - I was thinking that. I;ve been lurking for a while, trying to learn as much as I can - I actually was just about to pull the trigger on that Olight i1 EOS when I saw this S10 and thought it sounded even better. Now I just have to wait! C'mon Olight!!

Dru

I have used my Olight I1 for ages and kept it in my pocket.

Run it on an RCR123 (16340) rechargeable and it really puts out some light for a tiny light.

Selfbuilt did some tests recently and the I1 on a CR123 runs at 260 lumens and using an RCR123 it puts out 440 lumens but just be mindful of the heat and run it mostly on MEDIUM and then you can have HIGH as a real TURBO!

Check out the tables in the Selfbuilt Test on the Olight I1 below.

Olight i1 & i3 Review (1xCR123A, 1xAAA) - RUNTIMES, VIDEOS, BEAMSHOTS and more!

i3-FL1-Summary.gif

i3-FL1-Summary-2.gif

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?326146

As far as the Olight S10 goes I am rather concerned about the weird clip that is hard to use and the very strong magnetic head that could and most likely would erase credit cards etc.

Ok no Strobe or Moonlight mode but the Olight I1 is still another great alternative.

I am a Loyal Olight follower but this is a miss for me, I am sticking with the Olight I1 1 x RCR123.

Just carry a couple of spare RCR123s charged up with you and you are right.

CHEERS

g22dru

Newly Enlightened
I have used my Olight I1 for ages and kept it in my pocket.

Run it on an RCR123 (16340) rechargeable and it really puts out some light for a tiny light.

Selfbuilt did some tests recently and the I1 on a CR123 runs at 260 lumens and using an RCR123 it puts out 440 lumens but just be mindful of the heat and run it mostly on MEDIUM and then you can have HIGH as a real TURBO!

Check out the tables in the Selfbuilt Test on the Olight I1 below.

(PIC TABLES REMOVED FOR REAL ESTATE PURPOSES)

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?326146

As far as the Olight S10 goes I am rather concerned about the weird clip that is hard to use and the very strong magnetic head that could and most likely would erase credit cards etc.

Ok no Strobe or Moonlight mode but the Olight I1 is still another great alternative.

I am a Loyal Olight follower but this is a miss for me, I am sticking with the Olight I1 1 x RCR123.

Just carry a couple of spare RCR123s charged up with you and you are right.

CHEERS

Wow Oztorchfreak - thanks for the great info! I agree with the use of the RCR123 (16340) - I bought two with the purchase of my S10 Baton and of course had to compare to some C123 Primaries I had on hand. LOVE the output with those RCR123's! SO much brighter!

Did you carry with the clip on your I1? That was a selling point for me. I prefer to carry bezel down, but being reversible, I thought about being able to clip it to a ballcap brim too.
Your right, the S10 clip was a little weird, but this is my first "pocket rocket" and have only dealt with clips on single cell 18650 types so I don't have much to compare it too. I do like it being at the top of a pocket, rather than down in the bottom so it is doable.

A note about the magnet, I didn't think much about it erasing things - I guess I knew where I was going to be carrying it wasn't going to be close to anything erasable. I carry the same fun things every day and everything has it's place. This one just took up much less than the P60 18650 I've been carrying!

((another side note - Moonlight mode was great at 3 this morning -having just woke up, I could see everything upon my dark travels around the house just fine, but didn't wake the baby sleeping in the bed with us or the kids due to a blinding light being shined around))

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow Oztorchfreak - thanks for the great info! I agree with the use of the RCR123 (16340) - I bought two with the purchase of my S10 Baton and of course had to compare to some C123 Primaries I had on hand. LOVE the output with those RCR123's! SO much brighter!

Did you carry with the clip on your I1? That was a selling point for me. I prefer to carry bezel down, but being reversible, I thought about being able to clip it to a ballcap brim too.
Your right, the S10 clip was a little weird, but this is my first "pocket rocket" and have only dealt with clips on single cell 18650 types so I don't have much to compare it too. I do like it being at the top of a pocket, rather than down in the bottom so it is doable.

A note about the magnet, I didn't think much about it erasing things - I guess I knew where I was going to be carrying it wasn't going to be close to anything erasable. I carry the same fun things every day and everything has it's place. This one just took up much less than the P60 18650 I've been carrying!

((another side note - Moonlight mode was great at 3 this morning -having just woke up, I could see everything upon my dark travels around the house just fine, but didn't wake the baby sleeping in the bed with us or the kids due to a blinding light being shined around))

Are the lower levels brighter on the rcr123`s or do they stay the same?

g22dru

Newly Enlightened
Are the lower levels brighter on the rcr123`s or do they stay the same?

Sorry Badbeams3, I'll have to check when I get back to some CR123's - I saw this thing light up with the RCR123's and I never looked back. :devil:

I don't have any primaries with me at the office. I'll reply today once I can, unless someone has done so by then.....now you've got me curious! :thinking: