New Petzl 2017 Headlamp Models...

charles is great

Newly Enlightened
I really like the design of the (new) Petzl headlights. I think the good priced Petzl lights are perfect for a backup light. I hoped for better pwm free electronics in the new batches... very strange that they don't know about the pwm...
I am very sensitive to pwm so I think it is a no go for me....

Yeah it's quite disappointing if you plan on using it at mid-power. If you only want the 300 lumen mode you'll like it. I've never cared before this because I've always used their lights on the brightest setting (80 lumens for my old models). When I inquired about it they initially thought I had a defective one and asked if my battery terminals are corroded. When I clarified this is the response I got:
Hi Charles,

Thanks for the clarification. France produces the Actik Headlamp, and we do not have information on if PWM technology is used. At this time there is only the one version of the Actik Headlamp with no known plans for a technology update/switch.
I'm sure if you asked around somebody there would know more about it, but this person didn't. I'm quite sure we're in a minority of users as I don't see anybody mention this in their reviews.

FlashlightR

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Charles. I like to use the 100 lumens mode for the longer runtimes... and indeed the most (not flashaholic) users don't know or don't care about the whole pwm thing we are talking about. In almost every Petzl light video reviews pwm is there very obvious but indeed is never mentioned by the reviewer.
Maybee you could reply to Petzl if they want to inform France about the pwm complaints and mention the extra marketing pro and new interested customers when they start using constant current technology in the future.

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am a huge fan of the e-lite....nice to see the LED upgrade....hopefully it's a wider beam

however, it is sad to see that they did way with the retractable headband

once you have used a headlamp with a retractable headband, you can't go back to traditional headlamp strap, especially if your are a minimalist

FlashlightR

Newly Enlightened
I just looked on the Petzl website and the release date of the new taktikka core 350 lumen headlight is changed from March 2017 to July 2017..... I hope they have read our complaints on the forum and E-mails and take the time to make it fully waterproof and eleminate the PWM........

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just ordered the new e+LITE.

I have mixed feelings about the headstrap. It's true that the retractible is a lot more compact. But not as comfortable for long wear, I think.

The white LED is definitely a more diffuse beam. On brazilianriver.com, a user has added some photos on the page for the 2017 e+LITE showing the new beam side by side with the old beam. The old beam, with the three 5mm LEDs, was throwier than the new one is.

My main curiosity is about the red LED. I want to know whether they went back to the old throwy red beam that they had in the first version (the old headstrap version) or the diffuse, clouded lens red LED that they put into the retractible version. Which I hate. Lousy for reading, lousy for navigating.

Oh--it looks like the new back cover on the headstrap version does not have the excellent wire loop that was on the first model. That was great for clipping onto pocket-edges or ball-cap brims or other places. It was a mistake to leave that off, in my opinion.

But I'll write up more when mine comes next week or so.