• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

New product ** Tank Light ** Feeler Interest/Info

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some more info. I plan on offering free firmware upgrades for the life of the unit.

The photo sensor varies from sensor to sensor, but, I did measure a couple of units on high sensitivity and found it turned on when it darkness level fell to about 2 lux and turned back on when the light rose to around 7 Lux.

I've found another bug that will delay the launch possibly. Low goes into rapid fire mode often instead of being constant on. I have found that toggling the mode to low it could rapid fire. If you bring it into light where the unit turns off and then back to dark it seems stable. So, some units only rapid fire when you select low. After that the unit may work normally. Some units rapid fire whenever on (Low only).

I would like to investigate and resolve this before offering the product. In addition no new offerings will be enabled on the shoppe until after taxation day. We need to file our taxes, do our quarterly sales and use and now need to file estimated Federal taxes as well.

The current firmware version of 1.5 seems to have high stabilized, but, now low has this new problem. Well, at least two out of three levels work.:twak:

In the meantime when time permits I will continue building up inventory and making the tops, frames and boards.

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought I had a stable release. I had a handful of units in test and can now report I found an issue when the light starts blinking low battery condition. I found the light would flicker, not light, and be inconsistent in operations.

I revisted the regulation code and worked up a excel spreadsheet to break down the calculations used in the code and to examine the transition zone of regulation and out of regulation.

I was able to determine some code fixes and cleaned up the code. I'm very confident the new code will work as expected and will start doing the final prep of programming and glueing the tops on.

I updated the first post to reflect new information.

Wayne

BVH

Flashaholic
I'm interested in 2 ea., 4AA models. Hey Larry, maybe we can include this "tank light" when we do our VSS-x shootout?

Last edited:

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
My 4AA is still on its first set of bunnies and serving night light duty in the head. It does go into rapid-fire at dusk, but I haven't observed whether this occurs at dawn. (It's dark when I leave in the morning on weekdays and full light when I arise on weekends, so :shrug: ) A couple of folks have commented on the "I'm alive" blink.

Larry

DFiorentino

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just put my order in for 2x4AA version, as well as some other goodies. (Remora!) :grin2: Now the agonizing wait. :popcorn:

Thanks Wayne (and Cindy)!

-DF

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd buy these with an amber/yellow light; any LED that doesn't emit below about 530nm.

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
BugOutGear_USA said:
Sorry if I missed this...But does the type of battery used AA vs. CR123 have any effect on runtime?

Thanks,
Flavio

Flavio,

The runtime is mostly dependant on the capacity of the battery. You can take the low current demand Amp/Hr rating and divide it by the current the Tank Light draws for an approximate estimation of always on runtime.

If you use Alkaline batteries that are rated at 2500mA/Hr and you use the medium setting which is approximately 2mA the calculation is 2500/2 Hours or 1,250 hours. 1,250 hours divided by 24 is 52 days always on. If the light is on 1/2 the time then the runtime would be nearly double that.

The off state (daytime mode) current draw is 300uA.

For those requiring a more closer accurate equation the following equation is more accurate.

Daytime_hours/24 * 300uA + nightime_hours/24 * (Brightness_level + 300uA) = Average_amp/Hr.

Where Brightness_level is 0.5ma for low, 2ma for Medium and 5mA for high

((Battery_capacity) / Average_amp) / 24 = number of days of runtime.

For Energizer E91 the capacity for 25mA constant current draw is specified 2850mA/Hr and for this example we will use this number.

Assume the light is on 2/3 of the time. That's 8 hours off and 16 hours in nightime mode.

8/24 * 300uA + 16/24 * (2mA + 300uA) = 1.6333mA/Hr Average.

(2850 / 1.633) / 24 = 72 days.

(2850 / 2.3 ) / 24 = 51.6 days always on.

The 3 battery config will start blinking sooner than the 4 battery configuration as the low battery detect is around 3V for Medium brightness or 1V/Cell for three cells and 0.75V/Cell for a 4 battery configuration.

Hank,

Very interesting. I need to see how sales are on these and whether it will be worth making more or putting more time and effort into this project. It's too early now to tell. In order to use a different LED I need to add in the Vf of the LED into the equation for regulation and re-test. This might take a little time over a 1-2 week period to make the change and fully test it. The unti accomodates a 5mm LED or a Luxeon emitter footprint for the LED, so, the hardware is there to do it and only need to make the accomodations in the firmware for proper regulation.

I'll put this into the wish list of things to be added if I work on the code sometime in the future.

The other wish item that I didn't have time to add is the ability to change the I'm alive blink duration and or disable it altogether. I know I personally like it, but, I think there will be a uniform 50-50 split that either like it or hate it.

The good news is if and when I do add this feature existing users can get their units upgraded to enable the new features.

I would like to hear all opinions, comments or suggestions. If I can incorporate or accomodate them I will.

Wayne

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Reviews including runtime are going to be a long time coming. :green: 300uA Quiescent- gotta find me a solar panel from a wristwatch! I'm considering a 123 vers for a used cell killer. :D

Larry

BugOutGear_USA

Enlightened
Larry,

My reasons exactly for getting the 123 version. I have hundreds of used CR123 batteries that were waiting for something like this!

Flavio

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been loading my 123 version with cells that are for all other purposes completely dead. The tank light runs a couple weeks on them. Finally I can with good conscience pitch 'em.

I've also ordered the AA version so I can do the same. Nothing I own can drain the cells like the tank light and at last I can reduce the clutter of partially drained cells in my drawer.

As far as brightness, on low it illuminates my bathroom sufficiently so that no additional light is required at night to complete the task at hand, or in hand rather.

Greta

Flashaholic
Continued from HERE.

DFiorentino
05-30-2007 08:12 PM
Re: New product ** Tank Light ** Feeler Interest/Info

:wave:

dsc0758jx9.jpg

This 4AA went to my mom. I have a 123 version currently illuminating my bedroom. :twothumbs

-DF

Gointothelight06-03-2007 06:49 PMRe: New product ** Tank Light ** Feeler Interest/Info

I got the opportunity to see one of these at a gun show this weekend... I couldn't believe how small it was. I was also very impressed with the quality. The only thing that gave me pause was that the owner said that in the middle of the night when all was quite and still he could hear a high pitched noise coming from the unit. Is this an anomoly or have others noticed it too? I was planning to pick up a couple of these but the "noise" aspect makes me reluctant.

dat2zip06-05-2007 09:22 PMRe: New product ** Tank Light ** Feeler Interest/Info

I've got one of the lights that has the high pitch noise and it's the LED as far as I can tell. That means that it's a hit or miss whether it emits the 12KHz noise or not.

I have decided to up the control loop from 4KHz to 8KHz and that will push the third harmonic to 24KHz possibly driving the dog and cats nuts, but, not bother the humans. During this investigation I found another bug in the software.

Either model with battery voltages higher than ~5.5 Volts will not regulate Low properly. They tend to regulate a little brighter than medium. I found a math overflow situation for the low level calculation and corrected it in Revision 1.7. For voltages below ~5.5 Volts the unit will behave correctly and you should have three distinct levels of brightness.

As for the 12KHz pitch I'm only aware of three units out of the units sold so far. That puts more units that don't exhibit this and by moving to 8KHz should eliminate the problem altogether.

If you have a unit with the 12KHz pitch or whine and would like to send it back I will be happy to upgrade the unit to the latest firmware.

As far as I can tell I will be updating all the future units including the current stock of inventory to revision 1.7 for all future units shipped.

Wayne

DFiorentino06-07-2007 04:21 PMRe: New product ** Tank Light ** Feeler Interest/Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat2zip (Post 2030666)
I've got one of the lights that has the high pitch noise and it's the LED as far as I can tell. That means that it's a hit or miss whether it emits the 12KHz noise or not.

I have decided to up the control loop from 4KHz to 8KHz and that will push the third harmonic to 24KHz possibly driving the dog and cats nuts, but, not bother the humans. During this investigation I found another bug in the software.

Either model with battery voltages higher than ~5.5 Volts will not regulate Low properly. They tend to regulate a little brighter than medium. I found a math overflow situation for the low level calculation and corrected it in Revision 1.7. For voltages below ~5.5 Volts the unit will behave correctly and you should have three distinct levels of brightness.

As for the 12KHz pitch I'm only aware of three units out of the units sold so far. That puts more units that don't exhibit this and by moving to 8KHz should eliminate the problem altogether.

If you have a unit with the 12KHz pitch or whine and would like to send it back I will be happy to upgrade the unit to the latest firmware.

As far as I can tell I will be updating all the future units including the current stock of inventory to revision 1.7 for all future units shipped.

Wayne

The 4AA I gave my mom is fine, but I guess I'm just lucky because my 3x123 exhibits all of the above behaviors. No low as well as the high pitch whine. The whine actually doesn't bug me that much since it sits across the room, though I would like to have a low level. Maybe I'll just wait for rev. 1.8... :whistle:

:grin2:

-DF

karlthev06-10-2007 06:57 AMRe: New product ** Tank Light ** Feeler Interest/Info

Wayne, will you use my $50+ credit I have been holding for the past 6 months toward payment of one of these little gems?:popcorn:

Karl

Ms_SS06-11-2007 02:36 PMRe: New product ** Tank Light ** Feeler Interest/Info

Karl,

Add the Karl V custom order button to the cart to use your credit.

LED Zeppelin06-11-2007 08:02 PMRe: New product ** Tank Light ** Feeler Interest/Info

I received my upgraded unit with the latest programming. It is now perfect - stable low and inaudible.

I must admit at first these were a novelty, but after using them, I couldn't live without them anymore. They are so much more versatile than a regular nightlight, and the freedom to place them wherever is great. Not to mention finally finding a use for my discharged cells. After I pull the cells out of the tanklight, they don't even begin to register on my ZTS battery tester.

Great product Wayne and Cindy!

dat2zip06-13-2007 01:08 AMRe: New product ** Tank Light ** Feeler Interest/Info

I noticed the first post update May 16 said preview... Ooooops. They have been sitting there waiting for new homes. They are sooo sad. I updated the first post to reflect that they are online and ready for purchase.

Wayne

WAVE_PARTICLE06-15-2007 12:23 PMRe: New product ** Tank Light ** Feeler Interest/Info

Hi Everybody,

I just wanted to chime in here and say that I have received my Tanks.... and that they are REALLY GREAT! :twothumbs

:thumbsup: WP

tvodrd07-07-2007 07:57 PMRe: New product ** Tank Light ** Feeler Interest/Info

I received a 4 x AA proto, I guess, ~3/14/07, just in time for the Griffith Park get-together, and immediately loaded it with 4 bunnies. For the last couple days a red/orange LED located under one of the holes in the top has started flashing at ~3 second intervals. I think this signifies the cells (.698V, .708V, .633V, and .721V) are crying "Uncle!" The sucker's been flashing "I'm alive!" all day, and been on all night for just short of four freekin' months! :faint: It has increased noticeably in brightness with a fresh set of bunnies from the same Home Depot sale! I still find it kinda cool! Larry

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
New product ** Tank Light **

Just changing the title. It's no longer a feeler. It's real and available.

Wayne

Rookwood

Newly Enlightened
Re: New product ** Tank Light **

The first post still says price TBD. The preview link is broken. How much is this, and will you ever offer the electronics without the case and battery holders?

Thanks

Just changing the title. It's no longer a feeler. It's real and available.

Wayne

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
> wishlist for amber
Keep me in mind, I'll be watching.

I guess there is not a way to detect when some kid eventually puts in daddy's old rechargeable lithium-ion cells to light up the new toy. Overheating?

Enzo Morocioli

Enlightened
Ok.. I know that it has been 9 months since anyone has said anything about the Tank Light... But i've got a question.. a few of them actually.. How easy would it be to make the output to the LED higher, by a few hundred mA? What about installing a red, low vF, Cree emitter into it?.. Does the photo resistor limit output to the LED's gradually as the sun comes up, or is there a certain threshold limit of ambient light that immediately shuts the LED off without any dimming?

I think I might just buy one, as I am interested in attempting to make it much brighter, and have fluidly variable brightness control via the photo resistor if possible.

Thanks in advance.