• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

New QTC pills?

gunga

Flashaholic
If I'm happy with the body/head lengths, are the qtc pills the same size? Can I send my gen 1 pills in to be swapped to gen 2? I'm pretty sure the body head length combos are fine, I just want upgraded pills (I got mine all out).

manoloco

Enlightened
Dan:

So, if my actual lets say, Logan is a QTC with a latest version QTC momentary, which doesnt have battery size problems and doesnt show the o-ring issue, would it still do better if it goes into the program instead of just changing to a gen2 pill?

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
It's up to each person. If your confident with your body, not a big deal. If you want the body checked out for possible improvements, this is the time.

Theres also cost/benefit. 5 bodies in Texas is totally worth the process. One body in Australia is more time/trouble that may not be needed.

jorgen

Enlightened
I own 2 Eiger Ultra X which I understood to be of the latest design. After reading this thread i decided to check the pills to see if they were the new design and to my surprise one (HA) is the second generation and the other (SS High CRI) is not. Since they both work perfectly I have no complaint nor do I see the need to upgrade the pill.
I think the deeper bore is far more significant than the the pill and the upgrade bis definitely worthwhile provided the turnaround time is weeks rather than the months people have been complaining about when a light is returned to Peak. If a replacement body was offered at a reduced price, say $10, I get several but I don't want to be left without my lights for months.

Last edited:

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Specific turn around time is currently TBD.

All OR Peak bodies are available solo, just select "no head" from the engine menu of any Peak page.

Last edited:

LGT

Enlightened
While I think it's great that Peak is coming out with a new QTC, I hope they've done more involved and longer tests on these then their first generations, which are a total flop. My eiger, el capitan and rainier all worked well at first, but in the short time of five to ten uses, the QTC became quite jumpy. IMO, one shouldn't have to pay for a defective light to be fixed.

andrewnewman

Enlightened
While I think it's great that Peak is coming out with a new QTC, I hope they've done more involved and longer tests on these then their first generations, which are a total flop. My eiger, el capitan and rainier all worked well at first, but in the short time of five to ten uses, the QTC became quite jumpy. IMO, one shouldn't have to pay for a defective light to be fixed.

My understanding is that the original pill imposed modest rotational forces with use that caused small pieces of the QTC material to break off. This resulted in the jumpiness you (and others) note. I noticed it too but still regard my Logan as usable if not ideal. Given how new the application of this technology is to flashlights, I'm willing to fund (at a very modest additional cost) the continued development of this technology by Peak. I'm not sure when something is as cutting edge as QTC material in flashlights, the jumpiness can be regarded as a total flop. Just an imperfect implementation.

That said, I can't wait to get my light back from Peak to see if the new QTC pill really improves things...

fyrstormer

Banned
Most older lights should be able to be retrofitted by cutting down the brass contact on the back of the head, to allow for a longer battery chamber. Those contacts are too long anyway, there's no need for it to be anything more than a thin disc of metal. I've cut down the brass contacts on all the peak lights I've ever owned, with no ill effect whatsoever.

In other news, if the new pill becomes available for the CR123 bodies, I want one. I have a McKinley head on a QTC body, and the QTC is already getting jumpy.

Last edited:

LGT

Enlightened
My understanding is that the original pill imposed modest rotational forces with use that caused small pieces of the QTC material to break off. This resulted in the jumpiness you (and others) note. I noticed it too but still regard my Logan as usable if not ideal. Given how new the application of this technology is to flashlights, I'm willing to fund (at a very modest additional cost) the continued development of this technology by Peak. I'm not sure when something is as cutting edge as QTC material in flashlights, the jumpiness can be regarded as a total flop. Just an imperfect implementation.

That said, I can't wait to get my light back from Peak to see if the new QTC pill really improves things...
Interesting point of view. Sometimes it takes a look from a different direction to see something in a different light. "imperfect implementation" makes alot of sense. Hopefully, the new QTC setup will work, and I'm looking forward to seeing positive results from those having upgrades made. I also will probably get the upgrades made to my lights, because they are nice in size, body material,beam tint and color.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Interesting point of view. Sometimes it takes a look from a different direction to see something in a different light. "imperfect implementation" makes alot of sense. Hopefully, the new QTC setup will work, and I'm looking forward to seeing positive results from those having these upgrades made.

It is interesting how the initial wave of "euphoria" over the conversion of the fixed output Peaks to variable output with QTC's seemingly wondrous electrical properties so quickly turned to disillusionment and disappointment that the ramping wasn't "perfect".

It is a new (application of) technology and thus is bound to have ongoing improvements.

Personally, I find the simplicity and efficiency ( with virtually nil electrical "overhead" ) still very attractive aspects of the use of QTC. Further refinement is, of course, most welcome :)

Captain Spaulding

Enlightened

All OR Peak bodies are available solo, just select "no head" from the engine menu of any Peak page.

Well, i took advantage of the pill upgrade program and just sent my two bodies back in the envelope provided by Oveready so im hoping this "TBD" turnaround time is weeks and not months as my 10180 Eiger has indeed been a great keychain light.

Off topic: I also just sent in my HDS High CRI for the parasitic drain issue so Im currently without a couple of my fav lights :fail: . That was dumb. I shoulda waited for one or the other to come home before sending the other away.

So EG, good to know that the bodies are all available solo from Oveready, but is the reverse true as well? Can I order just a head? If so, are you going to be carrying the Eiger Ultra ones soon?

De-Lux

Enlightened
I am interested in buying a Logan with momentary QTC from OR but only if it is the new and improved pill and body. Can you confirm that your inventory consists of the new pill and body. If so I will order one ASAP. Thanks.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Can you confirm that your inventory consists of the new pill and body.

Yes, all our bodies are either new or have gone through the depth check/process. Each is hand assembled (with Gen 2 pill) and tested before shipment.

De-Lux

Enlightened
Just checked out the oveready site. Are you out of stock with the HiCRI logan heads? I could swear you had HiCRI heads in stock a day ago. Is the warm tint option same as HiCRI? Also curious about large/optic. Is this equivalent to a medium or narrow optic? I hope to place my order tonight. Patiently awaiting your response. Thanks for your time.