new set screw tool for Mag D switch

copperfox

Enlightened
I tried to get my tool in there, but it didn't fit. Or to phrase it another way, the screw is recessed farther than my tool can reach. The tool is a Husky (home depot) 8-in-1 precision torx screwdriver with sizes T4-T10 and T15.

737mech

Enlightened
Sears has jewelers type torx drivers that will work. I have a couple, just not the right size. :D

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you sure that is a Torx? From your photo it looks like a Spline Key or a Bristol Wrench. I was able to remove mine with a spline wrench, but it was part of a incomplete set, and it's too small to have the size stamped on it, so I'm unsure of the size, something like a .048 or a .060

Now I wish I didn't pitch it in the trash, I thought it was a defect.

nighttrails

Newly Enlightened
The photo Techjunkie posted is deceiving. From that photo you might think Bristol or spline wrench, but it is not. It's a star/torx.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
I very recently bought three D Mags -- two 2Ds and one 4D. The 4D uses the usual Allen head set screw. Both 2Ds appear to use this new Torx set screw since I can't get the switch out. I guess I'll have to get a long T8 torx wrench.

Techjunkie

Enlightened
in the brightly lit suburbs of NYC (Long Island)
I have this one on the way from DX, but being that the shaft is fatter than the bit, I'm not sure it will pass through the hole in the switch. For $1.39, I'll gamble. I think I recall seeing a set of L-shaped torx wrenches on Amazon along with the hex/allen wrench sets. What I'd prefer is a T-handle torx T8 though (like the 2mm hex one I have for my mags now).

mrartillery

Enlightened
I have this one on the way from DX, but being that the shaft is fatter than the bit, I'm not sure it will pass through the hole in the switch. For $1.39, I'll gamble. I think I recall seeing a set of L-shaped torx wrenches on Amazon along with the hex/allen wrench sets. What I'd prefer is a T-handle torx T8 though (like the 2mm hex one I have for my mags now).

Yeah, you may have to do some slight grinding on that to get it to go in. But at only a $1.40 you're not out much.

SmurfTacular

Enlightened
Wow I'm glad this issue has surfaced. I ran into this problem today

I was ready to take apart a black 3D Mag. I took out my trusty 2mm allen wrench and stuck it in only to find that it was not turning :thinking:. This is literally the only allen wrench I own. So I went down to my local Ace hardware and bought a metric allen set, and a standard allen set. Non worked :scowl:

So what do I do? Go to CPF and find out why, and I find this thread.

Now it looks like I have to drive back to Ace and buy a Torque screw set.

EDIT: I went back to Ace and bought a Torx screw set, only to find that the smallest one is one size to big and doesn't fit through the hole. I went bet into the store and they don't sell any smaller sizes.
So I go down to Ganahl lumber to find that they just closed. How can my day get any worst!!! :mecry:

I guess the final solution is to wait for somebody to confirm an online seller that sells the size that fits.

Last edited:

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
Make sure that the shaft of the Torx driver is suitably slim (and long enough to reach the set screw). I checked the Torx drivers at Sears and none of them had a slim enough shaft that would fit in the Mag switch.I also checked straight-bladed precision screwdrivers at Sears and found the same problem. The shafts are typically tapered or stepped, and the larger diam shaft prevents the tool from reaching the set screw.

I hope the Wiha Torx driver I ordered works.

nighttrails

Newly Enlightened
If you can't find a properly sized torx, and you are in a hurry, see my post #15. With a file or grinder you can easily make a 2mm allen wrench work.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
This is pretty funny. I cannot think of any reason for them to change the type of setscrew to a somewhat obscure torx type that they know most people's tool set won't fit...other than a lame attempt to foil people like us wanting to mod them. I never had the hex (Allen) type strip, and have tightened/loosened hundreds of them.

I see my set of Wiha Torx would be too wide beyond the narrow 1" tip, and likely only that 36648 that Justin mentioned will work. It has a narrow shaft that is almost 4 inches long. Is the screw a T7 or T8? Above posts conflict.

I don't think I need any more mags though.

Last edited:

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
A 5/64" (2mm) Allen wrench is nominally 5/64" (0.078") flat-to-flat. Thus, point-to-point it is nominally 0.090", based on solving the simple geometry of a regular hexagon.

A T7 Torx is 0.078" (2mm) point-to-point. Looks slightly too small to fit a ground-down 5/64" Allen wrench, which has been shown to work as an expedient set screw removal tool. A T8 Torx is 0.090" (2.3mm) point-to-point.

Looks to me like the size should be a T8.

I'll let folks know for sure when my Wiha T8 arrives.

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think people would believe me if I told them how many Mag (mods) I have. LOL!

I'd love to see your museum! I just purchased my first Elephant.

I'll bet you have over 60 Mag-Lites.

@ Justin Case,
Keep us updated on a good source for the "T" Handle T8 or whatever tool you find works good. I have a "L" shaped one from a kit, but would like a Screwdriver or T type.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I'd love to see your museum! I just purchased my first Elephant.

I'll bet you have over 60 Mag-Lites.

@ Justin Case,
Keep us updated on a good source for the "T" Handle T8 or whatever tool you find works good. I have a "L" shaped one from a kit, but would like a Screwdriver or T type.

I'm sure it's over 100...but who's counting.