new set screw tool for Mag D switch

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Wiha T8 Torx wrench that I ordered does not fit into the Mag switch at all. The shaft is too fat. There seems to be the slightest taper to it.

When I match up my 5/64" Allen wrench from Maglite to the T8, the tip-to-tip distance of the T8 seems to match up to the point-to-point distance of the Allen wrench. So a T8 does look like the right size Torx. But the fit down the hole in the Mag switch really requires something that is 0.090" wide or smaller. You can see that there is little clearance when inserting the Allen wrench into the switch.

The Wiha T8 wrench tip goes in and then the rest of the wrench quickly hangs up on the taper.

I used a file to grind down the tip of a 5/64" Allen wrench into a flat-bladed screwdriver and removed the offending Torx set screw that way.

nighttrails

Newly Enlightened
The Wiha T8 Torx wrench that I ordered does not fit into the Mag switch at all. The shaft is too fat. There seems to be the slightest taper to it.

When I match up my 5/64" Allen wrench from Maglite to the T8, the tip-to-tip distance of the T8 seems to match up to the point-to-point distance of the Allen wrench. So a T8 does look like the right size Torx. But the fit down the hole in the Mag switch really requires something that is 0.090" wide or smaller. You can see that there is little clearance when inserting the Allen wrench into the switch.

The Wiha T8 wrench tip goes in and then the rest of the wrench quickly hangs up on the taper.

I used a file to grind down the tip of a 5/64" Allen wrench into a flat-bladed screwdriver and removed the offending Torx set screw that way.

I'm glad the filed down allen wrench worked for you. Once the set scew was removed did you check if it's a T8?

I'm sure it's over 100...but who's counting.
A photo of the entire collection would be inspiring! Have one to share?

SmurfTacular

Enlightened
So I just got off the phone with Maglite technical support, and they said that they did in fact change the screw for the switch mechanism. And they said that its a custom shaped screw. And you can not buy the special screwdriver in stores anywhere.

all of the following express my emotion
:mecry: :scowl: :thumbsdow :tsk: :hairpull: :banghead:

WTF

In the flashlight world, this is an epidemic. And has created a demand for this special screw driver. Please somebody make multiples of this special screwdriver!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I just got off the phone with Maglite technical support, and they said that they did in fact change the screw for the switch mechanism. And they said that its a custom shaped screw. And you can not buy the special screwdriver in stores anywhere.

all of the following express my emotion

:mecry:
:scowl: :thumbsdow :tsk: :hairpull: :banghead:

WTF

In the flashlight world, this is an epidemic. And has created a demand for this special screw driver. Please somebody make multiples of this special screwdriver!!!!!!!

I call BS on that one, from the pictures and our research, it's just a T8. Need a straight shaft one, not one with a taper like the screwdriver type, straight shaft like a allen key "L" wrench.

I got mine out using a similar size spline wrench, and pitched it in the trash thinking it was a defect, and installed a standard hex set screw.

We'll find a source for them soon!

Last edited:

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wiha has good stuff, about the best in small/medium driver bits.

Crown Ace hardware in SoCal stocked a 6 piece T5-T10 driver set with shafts about the same size as the head.

I'm surprised more people don't stock a nearly complete set of simple drivers. :shrug:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
LOL! I called the MagLite Sales number on their website (909 947-1006), chose option "3" and the woman identified it as Warranty/Service/Technical Support, and was 'uber-cagey' about any discussions I had with her about this new setscrew part.

I told her that one of the main reasons I liked the Maglite was my ability to work on them myself, and could she tell me what the part was changed to since my 5/64th's Allen wrench did not work. She said, "No, I cannot tell you." I asked that something did get changed then, to which she replied "Yes."

I asked what will I do if the switch breaks or no longer functions properly. She said "You will have to ship it back to us for repair." I asked if I will be able to replace a switch or purchase parts (including switches) from places like Flashlight King to work on it myself since I purchased the light, and enjoy working on things myself.

Now get this (I wished I would have recorded the conversation), she said: "I believe Flashlight King is moving, and will no longer be carrying our products....and if you need new parts, you will now be required to give the Maglite serial number over the phone, and we will decide if something like a replacement switch can be sent to you, or if you will need to ship the whole light back to us."

I was as polite as possible, but laughed out loud at her, and asked if she was really being serious. She said "Yes."

I asked what would happen if I had a problem with the switch right now and wanted to fix it. She firmly asked "What is the Serial Number, when, and where did I purchase it from?"

I said before I go and get it, can you just please tell me if I will be able to buy replacement part kits, including a new switch assembly, and tools to work on it like I used to do in the past? She said: "You will be required to give your light's serial number before we can do anything, but replacements parts should be available soon." I asked what 'soon' meant. She said: "Oh probably in a month or so, but I'm not sure."

I asked if they had any of the tools to remove the set screw that I could purchase right now and she said "No, but we should have some sometime soon."

I again asked what did they change to setscrew to which used to be a hex 'Allen' 5/64th inch setscrew. She said: "Oh we changed it to a special custom part, but I'm not sure what the new part is called, or what kind of tool is required to remove it....and we don't have any of those tools available right now anyway." I asked if it was a Torx setscrew.

My phone line went dead.

About 10 seconds later, my phone rang, and the same woman asked "Are you the person asking about the Maglite switch?" I answered yes. She said, "OK, well I got your name and number from the caller ID, and was not sure why we got disconnected."

Not much else happened on the rest of that call except she thought that replacemet kits and tools should be available in about a month. I did ask her if this was still a USA made product, and if so, why wouldn't they have tools needed to install a switch for a paying USA customer. She said: "I don't know." I asked if there was something wrong with the old setscrew, as it seemed to work just fine. Again, "I don't know" was her response.

It was pretty obvious from the tone, defensiveness, and 'cagey' responses that this new setscrew part is something they have changed to thwart easy modding.

Just for the heck of it, I went to www.FlashlightKing.com and their website is down. So I went to archive.org and put in their address to pull up an old website version and got their phone number here.

I called them (877-338-6600), and an answering service took my name and phone number. The answering service was aware that their website is down for about a month, but said that they could still take orders. She sent a message for them to call me. I asked if they were owned by Maglite, and she said "I don't think so." That was an hour ago, and no return call from Flashlight King yet.

This is funny.

Justin, did you confirm it is a Torx 8 setscrew? Just out of curiosity, does it look fundamentally different than the old setscrew, and does it have the same threads if someone wanted to replace it with an old 5/64th inch setscrew (which I assume Aircraft800 just did).

Last edited:

SmurfTacular

Enlightened
Well this confirms my accusation. It is a custom screw driver. From what this sounds like, its essentially a T8 torx screw with a narrow shaft

Interesting story though. Although I highly doubt the primary motivation behind changing the screw type cant be just thwarting us Mag modders. We bring them business by buying all their Mag's to modify them, I dont see why they would be so upset. I mean you recently stated you have over 100 Mags. If you where unable to mod your first Mag, would you buy 100 more?

Last edited:

Techjunkie

Enlightened
in the brightly lit suburbs of NYC (Long Island)
That T8 driver that I ordered from DX for $1.39 came in. The head does fit the set screw perfectly, but the shaft is too fat to fit through the switch hole. Amazon.com has two L-shaped torx keys that appear to not have a taper so they might fit, but I think I'll try grinding down this thing first before ordering either of those.

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
@ LuxLuthor,

Wow, great read. This hole thing really torx me! We purchase more Mags and parts than anyone! I've turned a bunch of people onto modding, and they buy parts too. We are not the ones sending them back in for warranty or costing them anything!

It will just be more time before we have the tool, and modding will resume (it hasn't stopped me anyway, just an inconvenience).

nighttrails

Newly Enlightened
she thought that replacemet kits and tools should be available in about a month...
It was pretty obvious from the tone, defensiveness, and 'cagey' responses that this new setscrew part is something they have changed to thwart easy modding.

The conversation I had with Maglite before starting this thread nearly a month ago was very similar to Lux's. I also was told that the special tool might be available in a month or so. Apparently, there has been no updating on that projection.

Since that time, I had another interesting experience with Maglite when I wanted to secure a couple Magcharger heads for a project I was working on. The project involved adapting Magcharger heads to work on Mag D bodies; the two are not readily interchangeable.

I called one of the parts suppliers listed by Maglite; offhand I don't recall which one. The company told me that Magcharger heads were not on their standard parts list, but very kindly told me they would contact Maglite on my behalf to try and order the heads. I received a call back saying Magcharger heads were not available to order and that I should try contacting the Maglite warranty department myself.

Upon calling the warranty dept and asking to purchase a Magcharger head, I was told that heads were not available to sell, but I should return the flashlight to the warranty and service department. Maglite is excellent about standing behind their products and warranty. So to be fair, I stated that there was no defect or warranty issue, I simply wanted to purchase Magcharger heads. Again, I was told the flashlight would have to be returned. Since putting a new Magcharger head on Magcharger body merely involves sliding it on, clearly the requirement of sending the flashlight back for warranty service isn't about being sure the job is done right.

I asked how much the heads would be and was told I would be billed after the flashlight was inspected. I said in order to expedite things I would like to enclose a check when I sent the flashlight in and there was really nothing to inspect. A quote of $9.38 per head was then given

So, to obtain the heads, I packaged up two Magcharger bodies, and spent $10 to ship them and a $20 check across the country to the Maglite warranty and service department. Soon thereafter, a box was returned to me with the new Magcharger heads slipped onto the bodies.

One has to wonder why Maglite wouldn't be happy to sell flashlights, parts, and accessories to anyone and everyone, including modders. With the technological advancements in flashlights, and stiff competition, you would think Maglite would be happy we are buying lots of their lights - even if it is to modify and put new legs on an old design.

Techjunkie

Enlightened
I had very nearly the same experience with RayOVac. I tore the rubber boot on two of their Sportsman Xtreme 4W 3C flashlights (while modding them) and for love or money, they would not agree to sell me replacements. They insisted on replacing the entire torches and wanted me to send them to them. Obviously that strategy didn't work for me as I'd be gettning back stock XR-E torches in exhange for some nice MC-E mods.

One of the things I like most about Maglite was the availability of inexpensive parts and for that matter, hosts. Since picking up a few spare Mag Rebel reflectors to mod the less expensive incan hosts with, I've been told by others that they've been shut out in getting those parts after me. Now instead of a $12 host and a $3 reflector, I'll have to spend twice that for the 2D Rebel version every time I do a mod using that reflector that I like so much.

This new Maglite strategy is very disappointing.

ProofTech

Newly Enlightened
Do NOT buy a Bondhus T8 Star Torx Screwdriver (#34508). Although website pictures of this tool make it appear that there is no taper at the end of the screwdriver, there most certainly is. This thing will not fit through the hole in a Mag switch. :(

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that if you start out by telling them that you have been collecting m@glites for a while. It is your hobby. That the reason you collect them is because you can take them apart, make them better, and put them back together. That this decision has a big impact of your motivation to buy M@glites. It makes your hobby more difficult. That they might believe, but I wouldn't go so far as saying 100, say maybe 30 or 40. :)

You know, when you get 3 answers of "I don't know" that is probably your queue to ask for someone who might know the answers to your questions. It is really the higher ups in the tech department we should be asking these questions to if we hope to get any real answer.

It would be good to hear their reaction to "I was reading on the internet that M@glite has changed their set screw." and you could even stretch the truth at that point to pressure them into defending their decision. "I heard it is a set screw that is made in china." or that "I read that Torx bought a number of M@glite production facilities." :devil:

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow. Just amazing. Makes me wonder if the "Mag" based firestarters have them worrying about liability or some such... Hard to fathom.

parnell

Newly Enlightened
Just for the heck of it, I went to www.FlashlightKing.com and their website is down. So I went to archive.org and put in their address to pull up an old website version and got their phone number here.

I called them (877-338-6600), and an answering service took my name and phone number. The answering service was aware that their website is down for about a month, but said that they could still take orders. She sent a message for them to call me. I asked if they were owned by Maglite, and she said "I don't think so." That was an hour ago, and no return call from Flashlight King yet.

I dealt with Flashlight King about two weeks ago. Through the experience I learned two things: One, Flashlight King is moving and the site will be down for a month.
Two, we are no longer able to purchase old style c switches. I ordered one from Flashlight King and was sent a new style. I spoke with them and they stated that, that was what maglite had sent them. I asked to call Maglite to get an old style.

I sent maglite an email inquiring about the part. They informed me that the old style switch was no longer available for purchase and that I would have to send the light into them to get it replaced.

It appears as though mag doesn't want there lights modded anymore.

All I can say is AMAZING!

BTW: Thanks to everyone for the research into the new set screw. I haven't come across one yet, but I am sure I will soon.lovecpf

conundrum07

Newly Enlightened

I initially got mine out with a T7, but after inspecting the set screw it was in fact a T8. I bought the Craftsman mini torx T5-T9 kit and yes, the shafts are too fat to fit through the hole. I wound up getting pissed and drilling the switch hole so the tool would fit. Next time ill have to buy a new tool or break out the grinder to make the tool shaft smaller. :shrug:

When I reassembled it I was able to use a standard set screw I bought from ACE so the threading appears to be standard. :thumbsup:

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since picking up a few spare Mag Rebel reflectors to mod the less expensive incan hosts with, I've been told by others that they've been shut out in getting those parts after me.
That's too bad. Those Rebel reflectors are great.

Now instead of a $12 host and a $3 reflector, I'll have to spend twice that for the 2D Rebel version every time I do a mod using that reflector that I like so much.

Not sure about the US, but here in Canada, Lowes has the 2D Rebel on sale occasionally for $20.

This new Maglite strategy is very disappointing.
I've just started investigating Mag mods as my next adventure, and what I'm reading is disappointing.

Midnight_Flasher

Newly Enlightened
Is there any rule of thumb to avoid these new switches? Buy only older incans? Dont buy new LEDs or LED models at all?

- I think here in Finland were have plenty of old stock of everything..

Techjunkie

Enlightened
Is there any rule of thumb to avoid these new switches? Buy only older incans? Dont buy new LEDs or LED models at all?

- I think here in Finland were have plenty of old stock of everything..

The one that I bought that came with the new set screw was a 2D incan that included two Duracell D bateries in the blister pack. I go it from Home Depot for $14.87.

That's too bad. Those Rebel reflectors are great.

Not sure about the US, but here in Canada, Lowes has the 2D Rebel on sale occasionally for $20.

I haven't seen the Rebel Mags that cheap in the US since the 2Ds were $15 each at Lowes the 3 weeks before Christmas. The next best deal since then has been the 3D and 2AA combined for $30 at Home Depot and Costco. I could use the 2AA, but I prefer the 2D to the 3D so I haven't pulled the trigger on that deal yet. $20 for the 2D Rebel Mag would get my business a few times a year for sure.

It would be a shame to waste all those Rebel pills though. Someone should come up with a way to repurpose them or trade them for stock incan switch assemblies. I'm OK either way, but I don't see how it makes more sense for Mag if I'm paying $20 at the register for the 2D rebel than if I'm paying $18 for the 2D incan, two batteries and a Rebel reflector. That Rebel pill assembly must be worth more than $2, even to Maglite. (I guess that's why they're usually $30, not $20.)