*NEW* Streamlight Ultrastinger LED Revealed at SHOT Show

HIDSGT

Enlightened
I don't see it that way. They may not be in the lumens or candelas race but they aren't far behind. What you get is a product that is geared towards the public safety industry which means they are durable, and not gimmicky, verified to be reliable in extreme use. I like the simple UI which is handy in an emergency. I like that their rechargeables don't require the batteries to be removed for charging. I like that their lights are also reasonably priced. I like that their warranty service is excellent.

The new UltraStinger LED looks like a compelling design wth respectable performance numbers for what I'm sure will be a reasonable price point.
yea they design them for public safety which is why they are cheap cause cops are cheap and don't want to spend money on a quality light. anything Streamlight will likely Unimpress. they sell junk period!

they may not be in the lumens or candelas? really? then why the hell wud u buy one? thats why we buy flashlights these days cause their BRIGHT. Streamlight aint bright! they aren't far behind? their like 10 years behind. shiit, I can go to home cheap and buy a light there that is just as bright and durable as a Steamlight. that aint sayn much....

SimulatedZero

Enlightened
yea they design them for public safety which is why they are cheap cause cops are cheap and don't want to spend money on a quality light. anything Streamlight will likely Unimpress. they sell junk period!

they may not be in the lumens or candelas? really? then why the hell wud u buy one? thats why we buy flashlights these days cause their BRIGHT. Streamlight aint bright! they aren't far behind? their like 10 years behind. shiit, I can go to home cheap and buy a light there that is just as bright and durable as a Steamlight. that aint sayn much....

Check your step bub. 1100 lumens at 65k candela throws down with any modern light. Doubly so considering some of the most popular models tend to be around 950 lumens and 10k candela. I've used Stream lights for years without many problems. Their newer LED ones work rather well in the output department. And other than the size, this thing keeps up with my Eagletac GX25L2. Does stream light have drawbacks? Damn sure. Still makes a fine light for the belt though.

Oh, and by the way, there are more Nitecores, Thrunites, and Olights than issue lights on the departments down here these days ;)

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
HIDSGT I must say that not all cops are cheap. I know literally thousands of cops who have spent great amounts of money on lighting and other gear. If I remember correct my first duty light 18 years past was a Stinger. Back then to me this was an expensive light and my entire academy class (43 recruits) purchased one.

The instructors arranged a bulk purchase and honestly the light served me well for a long time. Back then I knew nothing of lighting and actually found CPF while searching for information on duty lights. Of course over time I was on to bigger and better things however as a brand I never thought of Streamlight as junk. Also I have many expensive lights that were purchased for other features than simply being bright.

Lastly I will say you can disagree with anyone among us however I ask you do so with a little less negative tone please. Maybe we can all learn something from this thread if we keep it on track as well as civil.

County

Newly Enlightened

HIDSGT your hostility is not appreciated. I am grateful that most people here contribute in a positive fashion.

You mentioned earlier that Streamlight is 'still living in the 80s' but there certainly wasn't an 1,100 lumen 65,000 candela LED flashlight back then, such as the UltraStinger LED.

As others have mentioned, having the absolute highest lumens or candelas isn't the most important factor to some. In public safety there is a lot to be said for a tested LED flashlight that lights reliably every time in the same way, on high power, with a simple UI that is not gimmicky. Extra reliability testing can extend time-to-market thus making it hard for those MFRs targeting public safety to have the very brightest LEDs. Often times it is hard for one to see the difference with the naked eye anyway, in the very latest iterations. Simple cradle charging that doesn't require fumbling with battery removal is a desirable feature in a public safety light as well.

I'm looking forward to getting my UltraStinger LED when they are back in stock as it is amply bright for my needs, has the SL reliability reputation, and it fits the bill for everything I noted above.

Last edited:

JJDu4

Newly Enlightened
Played with this light today a bit.......pretty impressive beam but was in the back offices and didn't have a ton of distance to really check it out.......you could tell the beam intensity was a bit stronger than my Olight M20SX Javelot's that I had with me but it's obviously not nearly the same light. Honestly I think Streamlight is still a bit behind the other top brands.......I definitely won't say they are cheap lights by any means and I won't say they are bad lights as I own quite a few but there's many other lights out there that surpass them in many many ways I personally think. I'm gonna take this light home and see how it compares at 300yrds and then I will provide updated thoughts. The beam color is pleasing to the eye to me and the lens reminded me of the LED Lenser lens design but it doesn't have the adjustable focus. It's definitely a very long light :)

dan05gt

Newly Enlightened
I was thinking of getting one of these, but I was hoping to see a review of the beam pattern first. Has anyone had a chance to use one of these yet and if so do you have any beam patterns to share? I wanted to ensure it has good peripheral lighting before I made a decision. I don't want to end up with something that has a very narrow light pattern. Thanks in advance.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah same here Dan

edit: is it at all fair to compare this Streamlight Ultrastinger LED to the Olight M3XS-UT or Olight M2X-UT?

03hemi

Newly Enlightened
I can't believe no one has done a review or post any pics! With all these flashlight junkies I would have thought there would have been some already!

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Meh.
One poster above remarks it barely meets his older M20 Javelots performance, so not likely to be a lot of fan fair here I'd think.
Even if that's a stretch of metrics, and this eeks a win, it's still behind. I haven't even looked at price, I suspect this is about double or so.
UltraStinger huh ☺ OK.

dpadams6

Newly Enlightened

Is there a better equivalent that you would recommend for police officers?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
^^ wish I could answer.
But when I got wind of the 2200 lumen ProTac HL4 I put away any thought of an ultra Stinger and opted for the single switch Stinger LED. The pencil beam throw is about as far without completely blinding myself when turning it on indoors.

The HL4 uses adjustable body for 2x18650 or 4x primaries. I like cheap junk cop lights like that. And being cheap I'll save my pennies I swipe from little kids and old ladies until I can find one on sale.

Last edited:

tjhabak

Enlightened
Hi all,

Can anyone tell me what emitter this is using? Also has anyone taken a lux reading for this light? Or is candela the same as thing as lux?

Mine has an XML2. Not sure if lux=candela, but this light is definitely a tbrower. Unfortunately, I have no way to take any measurements.

Last edited:

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
HIDSGT........Streamlight is one of the best light manufacturers. I have been using many Streamlight models for ten plus years with utmost reliability which is Exactly what a flashlight is all about, not brightness.

Last edited: