New Thrunite Ti

timbo114

Enlightened
hkequipment ..

E-coupon #TiXPL-US$2.45

I've NEVER had any parcel from them to take so long for arrival.
Usually around 10 days for delivery.

my 1st unit came directly from Thrunite.

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
GIF, Ti ss Vs Ti Ti

y7UqSMu.gif
Great Gif! If you get a chance, it would be even better if you showed both lights at the same lumens.
It does seem the XP-L emitter in the Titanium is floodier and greener than the XP-G2 in the Stainless.

Here is a comparison of my XP-E2 and XP-G2, both at 85 lumens
The E2 is floodier and whiter. I actually don't like how yellow the G2 is.
apologies for the terrible image, yours are much better.. I have not learned how to post a pic here yet

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-2BAP_D1Um2w/VR3z4NNV9mI/AAAAAAAAI44/lLnrRXbnQnM/s800/IMG_6495.JPG

Last edited:

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Trevi which model do you like better and why, TiS or TiTi?

Your TiTi does look somewhat greenish, doesn't it?

Trevilux

Enlightened
Hi Kreisl:

I prefer the Ti ss.
Better tint, neutral (little warm, I like it). And I prefer the beam of XP-G2 for aaa. And better price. Only prefer TiTi for the low weigh.

Really not greenish (TiTI is little blue on the edge of beam, and the Ti is neutral a little warm. If you combine blue and yellow ..... a little greenish. And the wall is a little yellow.)

Here the TiTi with a Olight I3S (this I3S is really greenish

hox7pZb.jpg

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
First impressions of Thrunite Titanium Chrismas. Very dim, gritty threads. Great knurling, nice pocket clip, feels good in hand, 25 grams with battery. Not recommended.

compare and contrast Thrunite Ti Ti to Olight i3s
Olight has great range of brightness, very smooth and easy threads, no knurling, nice pocket clip, nice rounded tail cap. The Olight weighs 22 grams

compare and contrast Thrunite and Olight on Medium to Fenix E01 in daytime. The Fenix will illuminate a shady corner of my kitchen better than the Thrunite and better than the Olight. The Fenix weighs 20 grams.

claimed specs, in actual sequence
Fenix 13 lumens
Olight 20, 85, 0.5,
Thrunite 0.5, 12, 162

reviews say actual intensities with Alkaline batteries
Fenix 8 lumens
Olight 10, 66, 0.5
Thrunite 0.1, 10, 126

I will add more info after dark, to investigate how useful the Thrunite light levels are.

My first impressions are that it is pretty to look at and hold but the gritty threads and very poor output give it a Do Not Buy recommendation so far.

For someone interested in a Titanium aaa flashlight for use during daytime and not in dark adapted circumstances, I would suggest the Fenix T99.

Happy Easter!

pics here
https://picasaweb.google.com/sliderjon/Lights

Last edited:

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
First impressions of Thrunite Titanium Chrismas. Very dim, gritty threads. Great knurling, nice pocket clip, feels good in hand, 25 grams with battery. Not recommended.

The gritty threads are to be expected, with titanium lights. Just the nature of the metal. Have you cleaned and lubed the threads? It won't make it as smooth as aluminum or stainless steel, but it might help. (I have handled both the E99 Ti and the Thrunite Ti, and I didn't find there to be a major difference in the smoothness of threads.)

As to it being very dim, I just don't understand, unless your light is defective. It is WAY brighter than either of the other lights you mention, at least on high. Are you just saying that firefly is too low for your preference, or are you saying it is a more floody beam (therefore less INTENSE), or are you actually saying the output is lower?

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer the beam of XP-G2 for aaa.
Totally agree so far. The XP-G2 in my Olight is tighter and whiter than the XP-L in my Ti Ti. Will try to get a pic later. Your Olight looks just the opposite as far as color compared to your Ti Ti. Still totally agree the Ti Ti super flood pattern is not my preference.. I guess it depends on the application.. the flood would have the advantage in a small spaces, like inside a camper, like I will test after dark..
… Have you cleaned and lubed the threads?…
As to it being very dim, … are you saying it is a more floody beam (therefore less INTENSE), or are you actually saying the output is lower?
Thanks for the feedback
I have lubed and worked the threads by screwing the head down a bunch of times, then wiping and repeating. There is definite improvement, and like you say, still gritty. The Olight is like silk by comparison.

Yes the Firefly seems ridiculously dim. It is rated the same as the Olight, but in actual use the Thrunite is MUCH dimmer than the Olight firefly even though both have the same reviewers lumens and the same specs.

I also feel the Thrunite is dimmer than the Olight on Medium, even though reviews say they are both 10 lumens.

The thrunite beam is much wider and yellower than my Olight. The thrunite seems dimmer to me, as if the output is lower. But this could be partly the fact the Olight is more of a spot.. like you say.

So yes, first impressions so far is that overall the Thrunite, on all three light levels, is dimmer and floodier than my Olight i3S. Im just testing it in the kitchen during daylight and look at the size and color of the light on the wall. I do not feel that the XP-L color and beam are impressive or something I would recommend, or give to my non flashoholic friends or family.

Im still happy to own the Ti Ti, its an interesting low light piece, just not imho for non dark adapted applications..

update

added a pic of the Olight and Ti Ti shining on my ceiling at dusk. Both on High. I would not say that the Ti Ti is Brighter, to my eyes. And the Ti Ti starts to warm up pretty quickly on that High setting.. If you look closely at the lumen specs Reviewers give the Ti Ti and the Olight, the Ti Ti is rated higher. Not the ridiculous higher the Ti Ti specs claim, but still higher.. Like I said, it does get warmer, and it does to me look dimmer, so far.

look at the picture on High
https://picasaweb.google.com/sliderjon/Lights#6134063167997117346

also look at the picture on firefly

https://picasaweb.google.com/sliderjon/Lights#6134066193515580562

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Running a giveaway for a Thrunite Ti right now on my giveaway thread.

Very generous of you.

I did a bit more testing now that its dark out. I got into my camper van and tried the Thrunite in lowest mode. It is almost useless. Its mostly for looking at things right in front of your face. The Medium mode is excellent inside the Van, the wide flood works very well inside a camper, it also works well to illuminate a dark bedroom, which btw, the firefly mode will not do.

Ive spent a lot of time with polishing compound, emery paper, oil, and wiping, to get the Ti Ti to turn on and off smoothly, but its still gritty. I think the Ti Ti is a Failure for my needs, low is too low, high is too high, and medium is marginal..

I still think the Fenix T99 is a better range of illuminations, without PWM if Titanium is a priority. However, for me a pocket clip is a priority, and Fenix does not offer one, though something could be McGyvered. The Thrunite non Titanium is a PWM unit, as is the Maratac that it resembles. At this point Im coming to REALLY appreciate the smooth threads and useable firefly of the Olight i3s, which is not a PWM unit :). Im even beginning to appreciate that the Olight comes on at Medium instead of firefly first. Imo Olight has come up with a product that on first mode will be perfect for a non flashoholic, and for those of us interested in a useable sub lumen level, the Olight firefly level is excellent, and matches its specs.

If i had bought a Ti Ti relying on its spec that the firefly is .5 lumen, I would feel cheated and would return it for refund. But I bought this one used, knowing in advance that it was going to be just a test unit.. so still no remorse, just wiser..

onwards to the next light wish..

Last edited:

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Trevilux for the detailed description and clear opinion!

Sure, all Olights i have/had are very greenish, no matter XP-G2 or XM-L or XM-L2, it is weird. I got a TiS-nw too and to me it is the nicest AAA light in my collection: great looks due to the polishing, light-weight compared to other AAA SS lights, extremely bright fwiw (beats the Tank E09 by faaar both in spill and hotspot brightness), i've never seen such a bright Eneloop AAA light, maybe only to be beaten by Surefire AAA ;), and most of all the great rosy tint, not yellowish, not greenish. I play with the light everday haha but can't get over to sort it out for actual EDC keychain duty: because the UI is impractical imho (i need my AAA lights to come on first mode in Med or High, not Low nor Firefly) and because the lights too beautiful shiny blinky bling-bling.

For the latter reason i got the Eoslamp AAA holster. Awesome quality, highly recommended by me. It has a velco strap, heavy-duty!, on the backside, which one cannot see on the product photos. I clipped the keychain buckle to the black plastic loop, so it's now a natural pairing of light with holster.

With all the info given in this thread i probably don't need to check out the TiTi. I don't believe that i would like it better than my TiS-nw :sssh:

Last edited:

Dutcheee

Newly Enlightened
IMO low on the TiTi on NiMh is too low as well. On Li-ion or Li-Mn however it is perfect. This basically makes it a two mode light. Usable Low with long runtime and both crazy bright Med and High. I would recommend you try it, before throwing it into the trash.

easilyled

Flashaholic
IMO low on the TiTi on NiMh is too low as well. On Li-ion or Li-Mn however it is perfect. This basically makes it a two mode light. Usable Low with long runtime and both crazy bright Med and High. I would recommend you try it, before throwing it into the trash.

Yes, but don't overlook LifeP04 3V cells either as I mentioned before. I have Coolook LifeP04s and unlike ordinary 4.2V Li-ion cells which this light is not recommended for, 3V cells are still within the voltage range recommended.

With LifeP04 cells, the firefly low is preserved albeit a little brighter (perhaps 2 lumens). The medium mode is probably 60-80 lumens and the high mode is ~200 lumens.

I've looked at these forums over the years enough to know that unless a light has infinitely variable adjustable brightness, like the V10R, that there is never going to be a single solution that pleases everybody. Some people love a firefly sub-1-lumen level and others hate it!!

Dutcheee

Newly Enlightened
I use the light daily basically since its launch on Li-Mn 4.2V.
No problems at all, just need a recharge twice a week:grin2:
Offcourse I could just be lucky. However i3S was never advertised for it and works flawless on 4.2V chemistry as well.

Spacing (M/H) could be nicer on LifePO4, haven't tried it.

And you are completely right in pointing out it's all personal preferences!

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
… I got a TiS-nw too and to me it is the nicest AAA light in my collection:… and most of all the great rosy tint,… i need my AAA lights to come on first mode in Med or High, not Low nor Firefly

Thanks for the color info, the only detail I object to is the extra weight of the Stainless, 36 grams, vs 22 grams for an i3s, and 25 grams for the Ti Ti

while looking up your Ti Stainless, I had a moment of enlightenment..

Ti Ti:
http://www.thrunite.com/thrunite-ti-limited-christmas-edition/
Firefly: 0.5 Lm(115h), Low: 12 Lm(6.3h), High: 162Lm(0.5h), Strobe:162Lm(1 hour)

Ti SS
http://www.thrunite.com/thrunite-tis/
Firefly: 0.04 Lm(115h), Low: 12 Lm(6.3h), High: 120 Lm(0.5h), Strobe:120Lm(1 hour)

My AHA moment:
The Ti Ti firefly is 0.04 Lm, NOT 0.5!!! imo The specs have a typo, on the Ti Ti it says 115 hours at 0.5, on the Ti SS it says the same 115 hours, but 0.04.. who do you believe? (knowing that the i3s is rated for 60 hours at 0.5)

imo the Ti Ti firefly mode IS definitely NOT 0.5, it most definitely IS 0.04.

my reason for saying that is I have an i3s and a Ti Ti. The Firefly on the i3s is stated to be 0.5. In actual comparison that is a match, my i3s is definitely 4x brighter than the Ti Ti

onwards

Some people love a firefly sub-1-lumen level and others hate it!!

I was a hater, partly out of ignorance.
For the last few days Ive been carrying the Ti Ti, even using it to go to the bathroom at night, work the threads to get is smoother, play with the modes.. yup, obviously too much time on my hands

My appreciation for the 0.04 Lm coming on First has increased every night. I can easily see at that light level when I wake up in the dark, and Im really happy not to reach for the i3s and have to scroll through M-H to get to 0.5 Lm

And you are completely right in pointing out it's all personal preferences!

agree
the Ti Ti is excellent in very dark conditions, when camping away from city lights, in the house at night with the lights off, walking in the countryside without streetlights… The strong point for the 0.04 is loooong run time. The Medium of the Ti Ti is almost half as bright as the i3s, this makes the Ti Ti more suited to dark conditions without other sources of ambient light.

the i3s is excellent in conditions with ambient light, daytime, indoors with the house lights on, evening stroll with streetlights.. The strong point for the i3s is that it comes on at Medium, very practical for most people and circumstances, while still offering a useful 0.5 Low, for longer runtime. The Medium of my i3s is considerably brighter than my Ti Ti, this again makes the i3s well suited for urban situations that have ambient light.

Unless it is really dark, the i3s is the far more visible and practical intensity. And the threads on the i3s are suuuper smooth compared to the gritty Ti Ti, despite all my efforts to smooth it out.

I still want to love my Ti Ti, after all its Titanium :)
So atm I carry both the i3s and the Ti Ti… obviously I have a problem, LOL

Last edited:

Latest posts