New X40 3280 Lumen 3 x U3 LED light coming out in December similar to the TN30.

langham

Enlightened
I have had nothing but pleasant experiences with Supbeam customer service. I on the other hand have a Supbeam L25S that is a piece of garbage. The light was supposed to be current regulated and push the led to 3A and it did neither of those(requires 3 CR123s to get to full regulation, but will only fit 2 and that is pushing it). The actual UI was nice with mode switching on a side switch and instant access to strobe, but the modes were slow PWM, something like a cheap light from DX would come with. The actual design was great and the light had a fabulous body/reflector and lens so I modded it and now it is pretty great again, but not worth my headaches on all of the mods just to make a fairly expensive light useable. I later had some problems with the driver in my TN31 and asked the Thrunite customer service if I could buy a new driver without the light, they said I could if I shipped the light to them and they could install it and ship it back all at my expense. I asked Supbeam and they shipped it the next day; seriously no problem and the shipping number was given to me the following day. They are very nice and respectful. I do on the other hand prefer my TN31 and TN30 far more than the Supbeam equivalents. I would love to get the charging capability and the infinite brightness ring for my TN30 though. Maybe you need to talk to someone else in the future.

baylisstic

Enlightened
Different circuitry, but they feel very similar. :)

Biggest difference, I wish the X40 had a "standby" position on the ring, for no light. You can darken the ThruNites from the ring control; X40 requires you reach the clickie to kill the light completely.

One of the big attractions of this light for me, was the interchangeable heads with the ThruNite TN31/TN30. The X40 handle + battery carrier + wall/car/USB charger can be used with my OSTS TN31 thrower head. :devil: I can lego together the appropriate combo, and won't need a charger!

I don't have a TN30 for comparison, but the brightness and beam profile initially appear quite similar to my TM15. :naughty:
CR3hjSul.jpg

Will the K40 head work on the X40 body too?

langham

Enlightened
Yes, all parts are interchangeable between X40, K40, TN30 and TN31. The primary advantage being that there is a charger on the X40.

rdrfronty

Enlightened
I truthfully don't know, but Vinh has stated not to try this because the battery's are setup differently resulting a voltage rise or drop depending on which your swapping. Potentially could fry something.

baylisstic

Enlightened
My understanding is that the x40 charges in parallel but powers the head in series. The k40 runs from the pack in series so a series pack will work. If the x40 was to power it in parallel it just won't light up. To me it was worth the risk (or no risk) to try the k40 head on the x40 body. I haven't tried the x40 head on k40 body though.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk now Free

langham

Enlightened
If you do fry your K40 driver I just happen to have an extra one, I will sell it to you for what they sold it to me for (not exactly cheap). Cheaper than a new one, typically the problems are simple with these though, the electronics are over built.

Does anyone have both the TN30 and the X40? I would love for someone to give them a direct comparison and state why they like one or the other. The charging doesn't matter purely from performance.