New Year resolution for 2023

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Yeah, yeah, yeah, gonna lose weight, get outta debt, take better care of the health and all that jazz that fizzles out by Valentines day, if that long.

One year I resolved to reduce my spending on flashlights and kept that one. But the one I resolve to keep year after year is take care of my mental health. Try to see the good in as many things as possible, and if there's no good to find in a situation try to understand the impact and how it will be a benefit down the road of life.

Take stock in the month to month about once a season changes, and try to determine if a clear direction is taking place. If so is it a good direction or not good? Try to understand if the demands are too many and if so how to shed the excess if possible.

That approach tends to create a year end list of things to which could be better next year but not some long, imposiible list that seems not worth even attempting. Trying to keep the ship steering in the right direction a little here, a little there makes it so that on Jan 1 the ship is usually not very far off course, at least in a normal year.

Mental anguish was bad for a lot of us this past year, but I kept thinking "at least it aint still 2020". lol.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I think everyone has at least a little PTSD from the pandemic. It's fatiguing, and I think it helps to acknowledge this. I'm crossing my fingers that 2023 will be another step towards normalcy. I'm resolving to remain level-headed about it and not let the polarizing rhetoric surrounding it damage any friendships.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
At my work for the last (work) day of 2022 I'm going over some details with my #1 inspector and the contractor not so far from the heavily travelled road being widened by said contractor when a car rolls past and just stops in the right travel lane about 50 paces from where we were standing. I had my back turned to it and did not see it until the contractor said "that dummy in the car is sitting in trafffic and has been over a minute". Another fellow walks up and says "some people are just crazy, look at that fool just sitting in traffic like that".

It wasn't long before a small crowd had gathered and all were focused on the car sitting still in the right travel of of a busy roadway. Yet not one person was even curious to find out if the occupant was even ok, some old dude with dimentia who suddenly for got where they were? Maybe a lady having a baby? Maybe they were very ill?

Since nobody seemed to care I walked up to the car and see a young person talking on the phone. I mouthed the words "are you ok?" The young gal shook her head yes. I opened the car door and she says "my car isn't running right and my boyfriend told me to stop where I be". I said "your car will run, correct?" She says "awe yeah it just be runnin' rough". I said "well can you pull forward 10 feet snd steer it onto the shoulder, you're in live traffic". She said "awe hell naw", starts the car and drives away".

I resolve to not wait three minutes before checking on somebody's well being. It turns out you can't fix stupid but what if that were a person in peril? That 3 minutes might have mattered.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Spend considerably less money on things I don't really need.
(Yes, that includes flashlights.)