Newbie just finished building M@G Cree (5 cree)

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm on the fence to order the smooth or orange peel ones. I like throw but wonder if there will be a ton of artifacts with 5x smooth reflectors hehe.[/

I have 1 SMO DX reflector, its hotspot is more defined but still larger compared to deeper reflector more like SMO reflector from Fenix. It might improves throw slightly but not much. With SMO the artifacts will get smooted out over distance anyways so no problem there :)

why not get 10 of them and try it for you self, they are really cheap.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yesterday I just ordered the OP ones. The measurements show the smooth as a bit larger on the outside which means more grinding... LOL it could be the same just the calipers measuring the different parts of the threaded outside on DX...

I don't mind the ring in cree lights but with 5 of them I thought it might get too swirly and distracting, but probably not enough to matter. Oh well if the OP do not throw enough then I will get the smooth. As long as it throws at least as far as my tri-luxeonIII mag then it's good enough.

Here is the heatsink I'm using after I modified it. PES:2 C modified flat. ;)
http://pastehere.com/?vlmeyc

When you were grinding the reflectors, did you take care to not let them get too hot and peel off the metal coating? I've had that happen before!

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
When you were grinding the reflectors, did you take care to not let them get too hot and peel off the metal coating? I've had that happen before!

hhmmm i didn't realized that, the reflectors got really-really hot after the process but the metal coating seems to be intact. It is the dusts from the grinding that you have to be worry about. I had to use compressed air and it still there and also some finger prints :oops: damn i am to careless.... i will probably get more OP and do better handling next time...

What driver are you using?

good luck on your modding...keep me posted.

thanks.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ground a cheap metal reflector from a DX light once and it made the mirror plating bubble off. It may have been just a poor coating. To remove dust, don't put any cloth or anything it will scratch. Blast with compressed air, then put some liquid soap on it and let it get on every part, then rinse with some hot water to blast it away. The soap helps grab the particles better than water alone. Then rinse with distilled water to get rid of minerals and blast out with more air. Or use rubbing alcohol to get rid of minerals and then blast out with air.

Driver? No driver I posted already about that ;) here https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2326419&postcount=28

Monkeyboab

Newly Enlightened
How would this mod have done with fivemegas 4D-12AA battery adaptor?

Nice mod, You've got me heading towards one of these now:grin2:

Rob

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
How would this mod have done with fivemegas 4D-12AA battery adaptor?

Nice mod, You've got me heading towards one of these now:grin2:

Rob

Direct drive and Fivemega's 4D-12AA won't work with 5 Crees, unless using Boost driver.

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks rizky, wasnt sure would it fire up four crees or ssc's?

Rob

it will power 4 cree after fresh of the charger but only for a while and will stay dim with the rest of the battery capacity. Better get boost driver IMO.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well DX still has not got the textured reflector in stock, and they told me they don't know when. I sent them a request to substitute the smooth reflector, since they do have it in stock. Hopefully this will speed it along, I want to do this mod!

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry guys havent read this thread for awhile.

I am not sure abour Kai's version of the reflectors, but for what i can see you will have more trouble mounting this Reflectors compares to the DX one. Since at the bottom end there is a "lips". Solution you will have to sand/file it down since the lips will touches the contact solder points on the star...Better wait for DX IMO. I am ordering one too, hopes they will deliver. I am building 4 Cree on 2D body now woohooo.. should be more EDC-able light compared to my 5xcree.

For those who considering the SMO version of DX reflectors here is the shot i made in a hurry....

At ~30cm, disregard the color i forgot to set the WB.
DSCN6551.jpg

At 1 Meter, disregard the color i forgot to set the WB.
DSCN6553.jpg

Thanks.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks very much rizky. Good point on the KD rim contacting solder points, and the photos are very useful. It looks like the DX SMO spot isn't quite even, so I might hold off on buying and wait for the weekend to see if DX's OP reflectors arrive in stock.

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
no problems :)

Final update on my M@g Mod with 5 Cree.

Add Maxflex driver and move the entire assmbly to 3D body(slimmer and more EDC-able). I like the feature that the Maxflex has, really cool programmable and all. And more importantly now i can dimm the light and use it as room light :) when browsing the net for hours and hours :crazy:

here are the update.
I have to heatsink the driver, i got the idea from download. So credit goes to him.

Pictures :) pardon for the foreign language on one of the pics

DSCN6557.jpg

DSCN6555.jpg

i think this is a final update for this flashlight, i will update it to higher Cre bin when one becames cheap enough.

thanks.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
My substituted smooth reflectors just shipped. I see the orange peel are delayed again. The smooth beam shots are not bad at all! Thanks!

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
And I see the due date has been delayed until Tuesday. I won't hold my breath. :(
After much more time and more delays, they are now due on Friday 7 March. I've heard that pessimists are never disappointed, so I'm not expecting them to actually arrive. :shakehead

Edit: Sunday 9 March... they're now described as "Back Ordered - ETA 3/14/2008 (6 days)". :mecry::laughing: :ohgeez:

Last edited:

Latest posts