News from the largest LED fair: Cree, Nichia, Philips, Seoul new LEDs

idleprocess

Flashaholic
50k hours, 100k hours lifetime was from the start the main sales pitch of LEDs and was diligently used for any fixture of any kind that had LEDs inside. For a while such claims where untrue for 99% of the products, then the serious producers started to back down from them and today only Chinese no-names still use them every day. Most fixtures from Samsung, Toshiba, Osram, Philips and many more i have seen have a claimed lifetime of 15k,25k with some exceptions in the 40k area. In all cases we need to be consider the fine print (many times not even mentioned): such lifetime is possible only if certain conditions are met, most importantly, those concerning ventilation and ambient temperature. Too bad in LED fixtures they did not put some sort of material that changes color, or smt, when exposed to a certain temperature for a prolonged interval of time. Then we could know if the fixture malfunctioned because of the heat or a flaw in the system design.
No, they're not there yet, but I believe that they will get there. With the new binning specs at 85C and some of the new substrate tech being researched, I believe it won't be long until we see useful lifespans under real-world conditions at real-world drive currents at 100k hours.

Your Philips link is claiming 50k hours without no heatsinking beyond the strips themselves.

That is why some light needs to be made in this aspect of interchangeability, LED fixtures in most cases do not last as much as claimed. Do not get me wrong, i am fan of LEDs, they are the future but the road to there is quite bumpy.
I'm sure we'll see it, but I seriously doubt it will lead to lower prices nor near-universal standards. If industry has learned anything in the last several decades it's that proprietary standards let them sell at higher margins (even though reasonably-priced universal standards lead to greater volumes and potentially greater overall profits). The financial talking head types love high margins - even if unsustainable - thus that's the focus in industry these days.

Even the cell phone manufacturers - notorious about making accessories proprietary - haven't really caved on using USB as a universal standard... there are still a variety of connectors and some will charge at an infuriatingly low rate when using non-OEM sources (well below what the source can supply).

About strips, they have a much important role as you think. They are simple products, easy to service and produce and with increasingly better lumen/dollar ratio.
Jury's still out on cheap LED strips. I gather that they have high failure rates. I installed some recently; if they go out no big deal for me since I'm a hobbyist ... most consumers will not be so understanding.

They are interesting in the sense that with greater LED efficiencies, one can produce staggering lumens by using many low-power LED's as opposed to fewer high-power LED's. Assuming that the low-power LED's do not have any thermal deficiencies in their packaging and can survive long runtimes without thermal considerations, one can see them competing very effectively with power LED's so long as their unit price remains low and your "lumens per dollar" metric is similar.

For both, LED strips (if they have high flux or high efficacy) are perfect. In residential, the light source is hidden so no need for a complex fixture, for office functionality matters a lot more so again no use to build a case around it (as they do it with the LED tube).
Commercial users are driven by cost metrics and technical requirements. While crony capitalism and inertia are barriers to change, the desire to save money and get ahead will ensure that new worthwhile products gain market share.

Residential markets are different. If you've paid attention to the sound and fury about to incandescent phase-outs in numerous countries, you'll note that residential customers are extremely hesitant to change. In the US, about the only places you will routinely find linear lighting is in kitchens, garages, and - in fleeting numbers - bathrooms with vanity fixtures; elsewhere you will find tend to find fixtures with varying numbers of Edison or Candelabra sockets. Americans in particular seem to have this aversion to florescent lighting at home - perhaps it reminds them too much of work - and have voted with their dollars for incandescent (or incandescent-like) lamps.

I suspect that floros are tolerated in garages because they are utility spaces, and grudgingly in kitchens (and the rare bathroom) due to the need for daylight color rendition and prolonged operating times in the case of kitchens.

The Philips strips in question do not look like some parts of a fixture build by a 3rd party, they are just meant as light source to replace another light source, the neons.
Philips site talks extensively about upgrading existing T5 floro fixtures to LED. A chain of gas stations undergoing renovations near me has performed retrofits to their dual 4' floro fixtures (probably T12) with some flavor of strip LED; suspect they use the housing mostly as a place to stash the driver and to provide some modicum of heatsinking to the strips (thankfully they're not doing LED "tube" retrofits).

I know that the lower-power flexible-strip manufacturers have been gunning for the neon market for some time. Given that neon tops out at ~90 Lm/W (and seems to cost quite a bit to achieve that efficiency), runs at extremely high voltages, and has specialized fabrication requirements, it's no surprise that LED is a competitor. Given how the neon industry has to put their thumb on the scale with increasing pressure when doing comparisons between neon and LED, small wonder LED is eating into that market... especially with the apparent growing popularity of channel letter signs over exposed/shaped neon letters.

wquiles

Flashaholic
50k hours, 100k hours lifetime was from the start the main sales pitch of LEDs and was diligently used for any fixture of any kind that had LEDs inside. For a while such claims where untrue for 99% of the products, then the serious producers started to back down from them and today only Chinese no-names still use them every day. Most fixtures from Samsung, Toshiba, Osram, Philips and many more i have seen have a claimed lifetime of 15k,25k with some exceptions in the 40k area. In all cases we need to be consider the fine print (many times not even mentioned): such lifetime is possible only if certain conditions are met, most importantly, those concerning ventilation and ambient temperature. Too bad in LED fixtures they did not put some sort of material that changes color, or smt, when exposed to a certain temperature for a prolonged interval of time. Then we could know if the fixture malfunctioned because of the heat or a flaw in the system design.

I am by the way in complete agreement with your post. I just wanted to add another data point to the particular quote above - the lack of longevity "today" is not due to the LED by itself failing. It is not due to the LED not being rated to 80-85C. Several of the Electrical Engineering magazines I subscribe to have open up several, recent LED bulb replacements and in all cases they found that the electronics were the weakest link - by far. Some other articles have seen that it is not only the use of Electrolytic capacitors a problem, but also bad thermal construction, which "will" lead to premature failure of the complete assembly, even though the LED by itself will surely last a long longer. Here is just but one of the many links about this topic - look at the photo at the end for the "drivers" - those will NOT last even close to the claimed "hours":
http://www.eetimes.com/design/smart-energy-design/4217986/A19-LED-bulbs--What-s-under-the-frosting-semiconductors

Will

Last edited:

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
A few weeks ago I had a lengthy conversation with an engineer who does independant testing for high end fixtures. He also attends all the international light fairs and has pretty good insider info due to his credentials. He claimed the biggest complaint he's hearing from higher end designers and architects doing evaluations of the latest fixtures is that manufacturers are significantly over-rating the color consistency of fixtures. While lumen values are holding, color and CCT is not. It's especially a problem in the European market where designers seem especially fussy about color temp. This may explain why there isn't much out there in the commercial sector other than generic high bay lights, and then a big jump to Cree's multi-chip lamps.

I've no reason at all to doubt this guy, and perhaps this tell us that while thermal envelopes are being pushed in passive designs and being improved on not all the phosphor technology can handle the higher thermal loads. That of course brings remote phosphor into the fray.

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast

I like MuAnalysis :) They had some interesting LED reports too back in the day

I agree, drivers these days still suck. That is why I wish the acriche idea had taken off, and I'm surprised that with all the big names coming out with lighting-class LED arrays, none of them are meant to be driven directly off of mains. I understand the whole "omg, flicker" viewpoint, but I still think it is an idea worth pursuing.

Some other ideas I've seen tossed around in this thread, I like how some of the big names are starting to rate their LEDs at higher temperatures.

On the topic of remote phosphors, the obvious solution would be to heatsink the phosphor. Just gotta find a way to do that better while not sacrificing wavelength absorption. Something perhaps like the BMW headlight idea.

Last edited: