Next best option to Fenix?

EVAN_TAD

Newly Enlightened
I have sold hundreds of Fenixes and I can count on one hand the number of truly defective lights that I have had.

mrdctaylor

Newly Enlightened
Well, I'll side with the guy who originally posted the message. I don't own a Fenix myself but ordered an L2P for my Dad as a birthday gift. I had done lots of research and finally decided on an L2P. Boy, was I dissapointed! The beam was very purplish and the batteries REALLY RATTLE! Not even my POS MiniMag rattles like this. Talk about annoying! I agree that the switch felt cheap, but it hasn't failed. All-in-all, I was expecting much more from this light as far as build quality. I might consider buying an L1P for myself now that the price has gone down, but if the light I bought my dad was representative, then I probably won't. I was not at all satisfied. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to order him a different light so ended up giving it to him. He thought it was a neat light, but I still wasn't happy giving it to him. :-(

I had thought about getting him an Inova T3, but decided against it due to the lack of spill. I thought the Fenix might be somewhat close in quality, but I was really wrong...

I do like the look of their upcoming CR123 light however.

j_conway

Newly Enlightened
7k7k99 said:
I have not personally had any switch problems, but it seems a lot of people are having them

I purchased these lights based on the glowing reviews in this forum, and are the members now turning on these lights
Only if they're not having switch problems!
...ha ha ha ha ha.....ha ha ha ha....ha ha.

He he...

Good times.

photorob

Enlightened
From my experiences they hold up fine but I do agree that they are way over priced for the quality of craftmanship.

ADDICTED2LITE

Newly Enlightened
Take the switch apart and solder the leads together, this would make it a twistie and a fail-proof reliable light.

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a L0P and an L1P and I am very pleased with them. They are rapidly becoming my most used lights. I just sent off a t-rank r/o 1-watt to be installed into a new L1P for me. Can't wait to get my hands on it!

Delvance

Enlightened
7k7k99,

The thread you posted was created awhile ago (3 or so months). True, the Fenix lights did have some switch problems initially, but they've actually implemented a new swtich awhile ago. I think most of the switch problems are related to the yellow (i think) coloured switches...the new switches are red coloured and since then, i've seen no complaints. That said, i've got a red colour switch L1P...no problems at all! It's also got a 2 stage mod (not soldered too)...absolutely no problems.

Delvance

Enlightened
Oh yeah, if you're really worried about the switches pooing out on you...you may be able to buy spare ones from member 4sevens. I'm quite sure awhile ago, i saw a post by 4sevens saying he was willing to sell extras...don't hold me to it though.

Longbow

Enlightened
I'm still chuckling after reading the silly post from the disgruntled member who is annoyed by "battery rattle". If he doesn't want to use rechargeables (thicker) than what's so hard about neatly shimming the battery tube? :lolsign: :lolsign: :lolsign:

carrot

Flashaholic
2-stage mod without a soldering iron:
Unscrew the switch assembly with pointy scissors (or pliers) in the two little holes on the inside of the tailcap.
Get a 1/4W 10ohm (or 5ohm) resistor -- available at Radio Shack.
Fit the resistor around the switch assembly, wires touching the little pins on the top of the switch assembly, on either side of the button. Cut the resistor's leads so they end at the contacts on either side, and then using pliers or something else, squeeze the ends of the resistor's leads to flatten them.
Squeeze the leads into the contacts, make sure they're stuck tightly, and then reassemble the tailcap. You're now done.

The pictures from the old dual-stage mod threads might be of help in understanding what I'm talking about. http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=100142

mrdctaylor

Newly Enlightened
I'm still chuckling after reading the silly post from the disgruntled member who is annoyed by "battery rattle".

Yeh, silly me. I pay $50 (with shipping) for a pocket flashlight as a gift and love the idea of telling the recipient of said gift "oh yeh, this is a top-end flashlight...but it rattles like hell so just wrap some paper around the batteries." Nothing screams "quality" like having the batteries rattle around like a maraca. Everyone loves having to use the bailing wire/duct tape approach on a brand new $50 flashlight. If I was spending $10 on a light I would not gripe about the batteries rattling around. If I'm spending $50 I'd expect it to be nice and tight like my Inovas.

I guess the same people who call these complaints silly are saying the U2 is great even though there are tons of reported of failures. "Yeh, go ahead and spend $300 on a light even though lots of them are defective...the company will mail you a new end cap in a month or two."

One man's silly complaint is another man's pet peeve.

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as I'm concerned, Fenix got it right the first time.

The only MFG that could do better is SureFire, and they do indeed have a small AA light in the works.

alberto

Enlightened
One day Chicken Little was walking in the woods when -- KERPLUNK -- an acorn fell on his head. "Oh my goodness!" said Chicken Little. "The sky is falling! I must go and tell the king."

Modern translation:

One day [flashaholic] was walking in the woods when -- KERPLUNK -- his Fenix had a small problem. "Oh my goodness!" said [flashaholic]. "The sky is falling! I must go and warn all the people on CandlePower forums."

Tesla

Enlightened
Tremendo said:
I've got several Fenix's and MillerMods Fenix's. All good. They do what they are supposed, have been swimming quite a bit, and have no functional problems. All this and a bright R bin Luxeon in a single AA format.

No problems here. You can say you hate it or whatever you want from your opinion, but don't say "the concensus seems to be that Fenix is crap!" That just means you either can't read, or are looking at a single thread of problems. I have not gathered that that is the concensus at all.

Someone evidently can't read...He never said what you put in quotes. If you use quote marks, make sure what's inside them is accurate. Now go back & re-read the original post. I can't believe so many people are jumping on the guy for asking a legitimate question. I'm sure many of the people whose Pintos caught fire were given the same advice: It's working fine--ignore those previous complaints.

dca2

Enlightened
Thanks, carrot. I had stumbled on that before and could not find them again. Has anyone come up with a 2 stage that uses the clickie as an on/off?

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's funny! I love the paraphrase.

Unfortunately, it's not limited to forums on this site, it seems to be a common approach on forums related to any product, especially, though certainly not limited to, computer related products. One jerk has a problem and AssUMes that it is a common problem amongst everyone and will often go to the extent of calling it a product defect.

alberto said:
One day [flashaholic] was walking in the woods when -- KERPLUNK -- his Fenix had a small problem. "Oh my goodness!" said [flashaholic]. "The sky is falling! I must go and warn all the people on CandlePower forums."

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tesla said:
Someone evidently can't read...He never said what you put in quotes. If you use quote marks, make sure what's inside them is accurate. Now go back & re-read the original post. I can't believe so many people are jumping on the guy for asking a legitimate question. I'm sure many of the people whose Pintos caught fire were given the same advice: It's working fine--ignore those previous complaints.

Actually, that's exactly what he said, he just edited it out after realizing his bad choice of words. His reason for editing

"Last edited by 7k7k99 : Yesterday at 07:35 PM. Reason: poor choice of words"

Someone else evidently can't read- holy cow it's catching!:grin2: I'm gettin' outta here before I catch it!

mykall

Enlightened
chevrofreak said:
The only MFG that could do better is SureFire, and they do indeed have a small AA light in the works.

I'm not so sure about either. I believe there are plenty of manufacturers who could "outdo" the L1P if they chose to. For one, Innova is just a regulator and Lux away with their reflectored X1. Fenix's build quality isn't in the same league.

I doubt that Surefire has an AA in the works. I could be wrong but I believe reading a stmt from the co. that they are cut on 123 and 123 only. Just make sure you call it "SF123" and not "CR123" :grin2: !