• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Nichia SW45B10L 219 Triple P60 Drop-in ALL GONE (For Now)

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got my Triple also today, last, but not least...

The first impression was heavy, just as Mac's Triple which I got this week and that I upgraded to copper. In an 18650 host, the head is too heavy against the tail, the light doesn't feel good in your hand. Well, I should look for a copper tailcap...

I installed the dropin in an Overready host with a Cryos 2 head. To get a snug fit, I needed one layer od copper tape and some aluminium foil, normal one, not the provided foil. Switching the light on, there was nothing but flickering... There were only rtwo possibilities for that behaviour : Either the dropin is a complete failure or there's no good electrical contact somewhere. I focussed on the second reason and found the problem quite soon. I didn't check other hosts, but in mine with the Cryos 2 head, the only negative contact is done by the bottom of the dropin housing, which is pressed against some bare metal in the head when you screw down the bezel.

Looking at the bottom of the dropin, I see lots of black epoxy which touches the host before the shell and thus there was nearly no contact at all. I had a bad feeling thinking of cutting off some epoxy, so another solution had to be found. As I had the copper tape laying around, I cut off a strip, cut it smaller and taped it around the bottom of the dropin, so that about 2mm could be glued over the epoxy. The next test was successfull, bright high CRI light!

Unfortunately, it isn't dark here yet, so I couldn't test it. A first test by daylight only revealed that the frosted narrow is completely different to he clear narrow, which I have on other dropins. The tint looks highly nice, even by daylight...

EDIT : I just tested the dropin, it's pure flood with the best tint ever. The frosted narrow was the right choice for me, the beam is wide enough and the frosted doesn't produce a circle like the normal narrow. Used as a single emitter, the Nichia 219 is ringy and there are artefacts in the beam, the Triple just produces a floody high CRI beam. Great! :cool:

Last edited:

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't worry about trimming and cleaning the epoxy from the contact area. It's just epoxy. I'd say go for it so you can establish a good contact without having to use foil.

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know much about the Oveready or Mac Triples but I know the Oveready triple only makes an electrical circuit with the ring on the bottom of the drop-in. Theoretically any part of my drop-in can make contact with the host tube and an electrical path shoiuld be formed. I thought this was a good thing but it seems some hosts are that picky it's not good enough for them!

Is the Oveready host coated inside at all?

^^Nova^^

Enlightened
Oveready bores standard Surefire hosts so they would be chemcote on the inside. Not sure about the custom HA ones though but I would assume they mask the threads and inside of the tube.

Cheers,
Nova

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
The P60 socket on recoated Surefire bodies is masked, so the entire inside surface is available for 'shell' connectivity.

The P60 socket on Moddoolar setups is via the body tube only, the 'basket' is fully HA coated. However, depending on the height of the drop in, the interface/basket can be adjusted up or down (tightened again the bezel or body), potentially elevating or lowering the drop in itself.

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
The P60 socket on recoated Surefire bodies is masked, so the entire inside surface is available for 'shell' connectivity.

The P60 socket on Moddoolar setups is via the body tube only, the 'basket' is fully HA coated. However, depending on the height of the drop in, the interface/basket can be adjusted up or down (tightened again the bezel or body), potentially elevating or lowering the drop in itself.

....and there's the answer :)

Thanks!

- Matt

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast

....and there's the answer :)

Thanks!

- Matt

I said "Oveready", but I meant Moodoolar, sorry...

Dan confirmes my problem, contact is only at the body tube and that's where the bottom of the dropin is pressed against. I checked without the bezel, the black epoxy was pressed against the body tube and I had to incline the dropin to get some contact. Now the copper tape assures contact and in my theory the risk of a short is minimal as long as everything stays firmly together. If I take the dropin out (to re-install it afterwards) I have to make sure that the copper tape is still glued on as it should (not sure what the heat does to the glue over time)...

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
I said "Oveready", but I meant Moodoolar, sorry...

Dan confirmes my problem, contact is only at the body tube and that's where the bottom of the dropin is pressed against. I checked without the bezel, the black epoxy was pressed against the body tube and I had to incline the dropin to get some contact. Now the copper tape assures contact and in my theory the risk of a short is minimal as long as everything stays firmly together. If I take the dropin out (to re-install it afterwards) I have to make sure that the copper tape is still glued on as it should (not sure what the heat does to the glue over time)...

One thing you can do is to take the outer spring from a regular P60 drop-in (like the one that comes from Nailbender) and put that spring on the WrightLight nichia drop-in. I did that with with my FM host and I just confirmed that it works on a Moodoolar host with D26 bezel adaptor. I can post or send pics if you need.

Daekar

Enlightened
Just wanted to chime in and say how pleased I am with my dropin. I'm running it just as Matt intended, with the silver foil, and it's still working wonderfully in my Fivemega 6P body. The light and beam pattern are beautful, and even at 2.66A the lumen output is great. My brother, who is tough-to-please as a Marine can be when it comes to lights, exclaimed over how high the lux was over so wide an area. Definitely turned my 6P into my favorite light, hands down. :twothumbs

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just wanted to chime in and say how pleased I am with my dropin. I'm running it just as Matt intended, with the silver foil, and it's still working wonderfully in my Fivemega 6P body. The light and beam pattern are beautful, and even at 2.66A the lumen output is great. My brother, who is tough-to-please as a Marine can be when it comes to lights, exclaimed over how high the lux was over so wide an area. Definitely turned my 6P into my favorite light, hands down. :twothumbs

This makes me smile :)

Thank you.

- Matt

P.S. Hard at work on version 2, but I wouldn't really call it version 2 - this is a different beast. A whole new 'product' so to speak.

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wish I could! The only thing I can say is that it's still a P60 drop-in. The rest of it is different but I don't want to say anything until I know I can come up with the goods otherwise I will end up with egg on my face!

I'm trying to learn from past mistakes to make sure what my brother and I offer next is worth every penny :)

- Matt

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Karl,

Not yet. If we're lucky I will get it today or tomorrow so I can fix it up with a few others I have at the moment. The shop I buy my epoxy from were out of stock when I went there over the weekend but will get stock tomorrow (Thursday). So if I get your drop-in before then I can fix them all in one hit.

- Matt

Tain

Enlightened
Matt,

Thank you for making the optic swap-able. I am having so much fun with GITD sticker!!!!

blue-1.jpg

Last edited:

Goldy

Newly Enlightened
Just received few days ago, really worth to wait :twothumbs
here's my fav setup
DSC_3808.jpg

Moonlight low
DSC_3798.jpg

:thanks:

jmpaul320

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just received few days ago, really worth to wait :twothumbs
here's my fav setup
DSC_3808.jpg

Moonlight low
DSC_3798.jpg

:thanks:

very nice setup! is that a solarforce host? trits look nice too

hope these will be available again ???:thinking:

Goldy

Newly Enlightened
very nice setup! is that a solarforce host? trits look nice too

hope these will be available again ???:thinking:
Hi, Thanks
it's cryos2 bezel, standoff tail from ronac and oveready TL34 tube.
thought Matt will make version 2 but no clue yet