Nitecore D10 problems

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Return to the store or trim down a bit of the tube length?

I think that would work, but I suspect from looking at mine that the battery contacts in the head aren't fitted in far enough. I would go with the first option and contact them. That way you'll end up with one that functions how it's supposed to without digging into the toolbox.

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am having the same problems with my new (yesterday) EX10. With the head partially unscrewed, momentary works, and the piston moves freely. With the head screwed down, even with no battery in it, the piston is almost locked in place. Will hardly move at all. When the head is screwed down, it will either be continuously on high, or not lit at all. The switch does nothing. If I partially unscrew the head it flickers or turns on/off by itself, and does all manner of strange things. It just doesn't work until the head is unscrewed enough to use momentary.

Be sure you are using the correct battery, either a standard lithium primary or an AW R123 rechargable. Any other brand of rechargables will be too long, and do exactly what you are describing. If you are using the correct battery, there could be a problem with the split ring. Be sure that it is moving up and down freely and not binding. Rotate the split by a 1/4 turn at a time to see if you find a sweet spot for the switching. If that doesn't work, be sure that contact area under the split ring is clean and free of oil, dirt, grease, or oxidation. I would get some Dexoit RED and put a drop under the ring using a syringe or just a toothpick. Press down gently on the ring and rotate the the ring a few times cleaning the contact area on the printed circuit board. Let it dry and repeat this cleaning again. This should make a big differnce in the light's operation. If not, send it back.

Note that even when the switch is working correctly, you will find that the piston travel on the EX10 isn't far. In fact it is much less than the D10. Some people like this and others don't. The people that don't can unscrew the head a 1/4 turn and get a bit more piston movement.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
I cleaned the body and piston very well, it moves very smoothly with the head screwed out for momentary. With the head screwed down the piston seems "trapped" and unable to move.

That is a problem with the split-ring. Try pushing down on the brass split-ring and see if it binds. Mine did that the first day, and I just rotated it around a little bit and it stopped doing that. Mine was locking up like yours, and after doing that to the split-ring it was fixed. Try this and let me know your results.

yekim

Enlightened
How well does the battery sit in the tube? The battery should protrude from the tube a little bit but be fairly easy to press down into the tube roughly 3/16 to 1/4 inch or so (just guessing).

I an thinking that the spring inside is binding and not letting the battery recess back inside the tube far enough for the light to work when the head is tightened down. My button was a bear to push so I nipped about a half turn off the tail and restretched the curl back out so it would fit snug in the piston again.

Also, what snowlover91 says is true as well. IIRC 7777's posted about it a while back. I think that is usually the culprit.

I love my D10. I still think it is one of the greatest advancements in personal lights ever.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
How well does the battery sit in the tube? The battery should protrude from the tube a little bit but be fairly easy to press down into the tube roughly 3/16 to 1/4 inch or so (just guessing).

I an thinking that the spring inside is binding and not letting the battery recess back inside the tube far enough for the light to work when the head is tightened down. My button was a bear to push so I nipped about a half turn off the tail and restretched the curl back out so it would fit snug in the piston again.

Also, what snowlover91 says is true as well. IIRC 7777's posted about it a while back. I think that is usually the culprit.

I love my D10. I still think it is one of the greatest advancements in personal lights ever.

Me too, in fact I love my D10 so much I am wanting another one:grin2: The madness has begun. I have 11 flashlights now, had only 3 about 2 months ago.

I think the split-ring is the problem, did you try what I suggested?

burf151

Newly Enlightened
Don't know about the op, but I haven't gotten mine straightened out yet. I'm trying each of your suggestions one by one. Thanks for the help!

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't know about the op, but I haven't gotten mine straightened out yet. I'm trying each of your suggestions one by one. Thanks for the help!

Have you tried the split ring? That is IMO what your problem may be also. If you can't push the piston down when the head is fully screwed on, then that is your problem. Mine did this also, but I took a toothpick, stuck it in the split ring and rotated it until all the sides of the split ring were easy to push down with the toothpick. That solved my problem. I think that may be yours. Try that and see what happens, I am willing to guess that it is.

burf151

Newly Enlightened
I don't know what happened with the OP, but I sent mine back to 4sevens today. Gonna exchange it for a 2nd P2D Q5.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know what happened with the OP, but I sent mine back to 4sevens today. Gonna exchange it for a 2nd P2D Q5.

What was wrong with yours? Was it locking up, and if so did you try the split ring?

mrm65

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys. Here comes my first post
I just recieved a Nitecore D10 and Im having some problems with it.
Was told to contact you guys.
The problem Im having is that after putting the battery in and screwing it together the light goes on but I cant even get the tall cap to move. It like rock solid... And if I unscrew it a bit I get momentary on but can seem to find a position where I can click on and off.
I dont want to start messing with it if there is a easier solution.
Please help a noob :)

I don't know if its the same problem, but when trying to press the piston on my D10 it was stiff and didn't move smoothly.
I changed the o-ring and re-lubed, also turned the brass contact ring in the head. It still did the same thing. What I then did was to loosen the head just a little bit, not enough to make the switch momentary, that solved the problem. It now moves nice and smooth.
They seem to have cut the threads just a little bit too far, cramping the piston when screwed up fully.

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know if its the same problem, but when trying to press the piston on my D10 it was stiff and didn't move smoothly.
I changed the o-ring and re-lubed, also turned the brass contact ring in the head. It still did the same thing. What I then did was to loosen the head just a little bit, not enough to make the switch momentary, that solved the problem. It now moves nice and smooth.
They seem to have cut the threads just a little bit too far, cramping the piston when screwed up fully.

Another reason for needing to loosen the head could be the battery you are using is a bit too long. This is particularly true with some of the rechargables, other than the AW brand which seems to work ok without unscrewing the head.

mrm65

Newly Enlightened
Another reason for needing to loosen the head could be the battery you are using is a bit too long. This is particularly true with some of the rechargables, other than the AW brand which seems to work ok without unscrewing the head.

I've used about 5/6 different brands, piston was too stiff with them all. Problem solved though so I'm happy.

JWP_EE

Enlightened
I just purchased a Nitecore D10. After two days of use it started flickering. The only way I can turn it off is to unscrew the head. If I let it sit for a while and turn it back on it will work for about 20 seconds and then starts flickering again. Once that starts it will not respond to any piston press including to turn it off - I have to untwist the head. I have read all the threads here at CPF about this problem and I have found that nothing I do fixes it. Also tried about 5 different cells.

I have purchased 4 Fenix lights and I am very happy with them. This purchase was a toss up between the D10 and the Fenix LD10. I got the D10 to try something different and now I wish I got the LD10. I just e-mailed 4sevens asking if I could exchange it for the LD10.

mr_maurice

Newly Enlightened
I was seriously considering the D10 GDP as my next edc, but now it's not so evident. Something I'd like to know: are the most common problems due to excess or innapropriate lube, and does it takes a special tool to disassemble this light ?

Also, i've seen a post about an issue with the split ring, possibly solved by rotating it with a screwdriver or something, isn't the ring able to rotate after that ? Just asking, i'm not sure I totally understand how this light works.

It seems there's several posts reporting inconsistencies in the piston behavior (head loosened/tightened) that I wonder wheter this design is really bulletproof.

Will 4sevens replace a defective light here in France ?