Nitecore Defender Infinity- get one or not?

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had an early one that my was my first XRE light
Loved the UI, but mine ended up being flakey (wouldn't go into ramping, wouldn't change modes) and had to go in

Mr_Moe

Newly Enlightened
Woohoo just ordered a NDI GDP from a European seller. Hopefully it works without any flaws. Can't wait! Yippie. :party:

Mr_Moe

Newly Enlightened
The seller has tried the light at my request and says all the modes work fine. I'd like to get the other versions too... :ohgeez: Haha.

Edit: wow, I got the very last one available. Can you believe that?

Last edited:

Mr_Moe

Newly Enlightened
The NDI came in the mail today. Can't wait for it to be dark. The Osram GDP is really tiny, but the light seems plenty bright nevertheless. All the modes work flawlessly, fortunately. It's not the most aggressive (compared to the Xeno E03 V2) but the knurling is good, size is good too. The light looks even better in person. What has me worried is the lanyard attachment points. They are really thin and I don't know if they are robust enough. Do you use yours with a lanyard? To sum my first impression up: I wouldn't mind having another NDI, or two. :D An NDI 2.0 with a little Infilux mixed in would be great.

Thanks again for all the input folks!

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to the club! :cool:

wi4idf.jpg

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congrats to the purchase :)
Enjoy your new light!!

why does nobody in the thread care about manufacturing dates? i prefer my lights fresh off the production machinery :D

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast
The NDI came in the mail today. Can't wait for it to be dark. The Osram GDP is really tiny, but the light seems plenty bright nevertheless. All the modes work flawlessly, fortunately. It's not the most aggressive (compared to the Xeno E03 V2) but the knurling is good, size is good too. The light looks even better in person. What has me worried is the lanyard attachment points. They are really thin and I don't know if they are robust enough. Do you use yours with a lanyard? To sum my first impression up: I wouldn't mind having another NDI, or two. :D An NDI 2.0 with a little Infilux mixed in would be great.

Thanks again for all the input folks!

The GDP version is my favorite I think.

Welcome to the club! :cool:

wi4idf.jpg

I love the original "Strong Light" markings.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
you're surely one of them!! :thumbsup:
Have a great weekend with lots of darkness during the night! :naughty:

best wishes, shelm

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congratulations. I think you will like the GDP. I've found these have the most pleasding beam "profile" -transition of spot to spill-with a very clean, good throwing hotspot. I think some emitters tended to go a little blue-ish on very low or very high output leves, but the few I've had never exhibited this tendency.

Mr_Moe

Newly Enlightened
The GDP version is my favorite I think.
I love the original "Strong Light" markings.

I'm very glad I could get one of the GDPs, fortunately mine is missing that "Strong Light" warning. It's fascinating how much light that tiny LED emits.

you're surely one of them!! :thumbsup:
Have a great weekend with lots of darkness during the night! :naughty:

best wishes, shelm
Will do. Danke schoen.

Congratulations. I think you will like the GDP. I've found these have the most pleasding beam "profile" -transition of spot to spill-with a very clean, good throwing hotspot. I think some emitters tended to go a little blue-ish on very low or very high output leves, but the few I've had never exhibited this tendency.

Thanks. Already like it a lot. You're right, the beam profile is very clean. Tint is great too. Been having some not so good luck with the tints of some other lights lately.

mcdj

Newly Enlightened
Cool looking light. I bought one from Pinnacle, who actually still has stock somehow. $65. I returned it the day after. For me, the clicky was too loud and required too much force. I also found the interface to be a bit annoying, which is odd because the EX10/D10 are one of the best UIs I've come across. WIth the NDI, I found it very unintuitive to rotate the head for different modes, when the light has a clicker already.

fnj

Enlightened
As a plus, the NDI can be used as a twisty. That's what I do, so as not to have any risk whatsoever that the clicky switch might fail open.

Mr_Moe

Newly Enlightened
The clicky is pretty stiff and loud, but I can live with that. It seems that with almost all chinese made lights there's something not to like about the switches. I wish they'd improve that. Accessing the ramping mode takes some getting used to. I set the user defined mode to the lowest output.

@mcdj: just checked at Pinnacle. Hadn't heard about them before. Strange how search engines leave out the good stuff, despite my being thorough... They accept a CPF discount code too... oh oh... :D

Another question: anybody have/had the Q5 version? How's that LED?

Masque

Newly Enlightened
I just unearthed two of the Q5 version. Unfortunately one of them has some problems - fully tightening the head turns the light off, even with full cleaning and fresh o-rings. The other is flawless.

But I digress - the Q5 is one of my favorite emitters overall, and no exception in this one. A pleasing tint and good throw.

Moonshadow

Enlightened
I had a similar problem with my Extreme - it would turn off with the head fully tightened.

Replacing the clicky switch fixed it.

gst138

Newly Enlightened
Without wanting to resurect an old thread, I have just got one of these from Ebay. The seller said that the light only worked on the high and strobe modes. A BIN price of £4.99 was worth a punt. A bit of playing around and cleaning up and it works perfectly on all modes. So I am very pleased.
As an aside is there a way of telling if I have the GDP or the q5 version.