Nitecore EA4 Pioneer review (cool white)

MY

Enlightened
Re: Nitecore EA4 Pioneer review

Perhaps I have missed it but can someone please post a comparison picture of the EA4 along side some other popular sized lights. I cannot get a good idea of how big (or small) it really is by just the description. I like the idea of a 4AA light but not if it is too big.

Regards

Verndog

Enlightened

I dont have any pics along side others...but the size of this light is almost exactly the same as an empty roll of toilet paper. Both in length and diameter. It fits palm of hand quite nicely, better then I thought from pics.

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher

markr6

Flashaholic

Perhaps I have missed it but can someone please post a comparison picture of the EA4 along side some other popular sized lights. I cannot get a good idea of how big (or small) it really is by just the description. I like the idea of a 4AA light but not if it is too big.

Regards

Here are a few comps:

Fenix LD12, Zebralight H600w, EA4W, Fenix PD32UE, 2D Maglite, business card
EA4_comps.jpg

shelt

Newly Enlightened

Hi All,

I've read the thread, but I'm unclear on one thing. Can the tail cap be loosened to a point which guarantees the batteries are disconnected? I'm looking at the EA4 for some of my Search and Rescue activities, and I can't risk battery drain under any circumstances. My gear gets smashed around a lot in my packs, and I'm worried about coming out of lockout mode. Thanks!

markr6

Flashaholic

Hi All,

I've read the thread, but I'm unclear on one thing. Can the tail cap be loosened to a point which guarantees the batteries are disconnected? I'm looking at the EA4 for some of my Search and Rescue activities, and I can't risk battery drain under any circumstances. My gear gets smashed around a lot in my packs, and I'm worried about coming out of lockout mode. Thanks!

Unfortunately, no. You'll need to unthread it almost all the way which will most likely come undone with a little shaking or moving around in a pack.

betweenrides

Newly Enlightened

skyraider, I just saw this and I've had the EA4 for a week or so: Fantastic, thorough review. Thanks for posting! I really like this light.

MIKES250R

Enlightened

I disagree. I loosen mine a little and the cap does not come off if kept it's supplied holster.

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast

Regards

I like the EA4, but it is kind of chunky and heavy. Obviously, it's not a pocket EDC. I leave it in the holster near the back porch or in the truck for when I want to use it. I think the strongest point of a 4AA light is for people like friends and family who don't want to deal with 18650 Lithium Ion batteries.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast

Where did you get that?

It was on the end of my Streamlight LED Stinger that I have had for the last few years. I no longer use that light and it fit on the end of the EA4 almost perfect. I may actually contact Streamlight to see if they sell them separately.

Skyraider59

Newly Enlightened

It was on the end of my Streamlight LED Stinger that I have had for the last few years. I no longer use that light and it fit on the end of the EA4 almost perfect. I may actually contact Streamlight to see if they sell them separately.

Yes please,
  • :thumbsup:
Cant really tell from the photo, but apart from a anti roll adapter, is this also a light diffuser?

Skyraider59

Newly Enlightened

While we are on the subject of "customizing" our EA4 to suit our needs. I found out that the lanyard cord was often getting in the way while placing the EA4 in candle mode. I often had to loosen it for it to slide to the end of the star for the flashlight to lay flat. I have done a very simple mod by adding a triangular metal link from a cheap key ring. This being loose and rigid automatically fold on the outside of the star allowing the EA4 to rest flat on the ground to be very stable.

SR59

ea4c2.jpg

ea4c3.jpg

ea4c1.jpg

Last edited:

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast

Patriot

Flashaholic

I love the anti-roll band. It looks like it was made for it. Makes you wonder why Nitecore doesn't think of these small things that make the light much more user friendly is actual use.

Looking back at some of the older pictures, it looks like the EA4 originally had switch with a clear boot. I wonder why they didn't keep it that way.

Tonight I locked out my EA4 to stick in my back pocket as I walked to the parking lot. A few seconds later it was shinning in the trees over my head. Too bad they ditched to triple click since it worked so well on the TM11.

windsurf

Newly Enlightened

...Looking back at some of the older pictures, it looks like the EA4 originally had switch with a clear boot. I wonder why they didn't keep it that way.

Tonight I locked out my EA4 to stick in my back pocket as I walked to the parking lot. A few seconds later it was shinning in the trees over my head. Too bad they ditched to triple click since it worked so well on the TM11.

I don't think the switch cover/boot(?) has changed. Or do you have one with dark cover that doesn't let light through? I've seen at least two mods, as in post 97 above, where the owners disassembled their lights and replaced the small black plunger under the cover with a home made clear acrylic one. That definitely made the switch indicator look brighter through the same cover (with or without changing the two LEDs).

Yeah, that unlock function has been a concern for alot of folks. As Skyraider59 (the OP of this thread) mused, too bad a long half press also works instead of only allowing a full press. I'm still knocking on wood that it hasn't happened to me.

Last edited:

mhohisel

Newly Enlightened
I would just like to add, that once more, a manufacturer is missing out on very easily implemented basic features, like anti roll system, a low which is a real low, a workable flashing locator,
sssh.gif
I can not understand why basic problems like those mentioned above are not highlighted and rectified before production!​

You hit the nail on the head! I was using the EA4 last night, I had gloves on and could never find the button because the flashing indicator was too dim! Also the "ultra low" of ~65 Lumens is waay to bright! Completely ruins your night vision. The new TM26 has a 3lm low, why can't this. That said, this is my favorite light by far! Loving it! The turbo mode is simply amazing :thumbsup:

Skyraider59

Newly Enlightened
You hit the nail on the head! I was using the EA4 last night, I had gloves on and could never find the button because the flashing indicator was too dim! Also the "ultra low" of ~65 Lumens is waay to bright! Completely ruins your night vision. The new TM26 has a 3lm low, why can't this. That said, this is my favorite light by far! Loving it! The turbo mode is simply amazing :thumbsup:

Totally agree, can not understand how manufacturer make so often basic design mistakes. I can only presume that everything now is computer designed and no pre productions models are created and field tested!
All they need to do, is have a working pre production model tested by a flashacolics for a few days and I would think, basic designed faults would be highlighted.

Or they need to read other makers flashlight review as to find out what works and don't works and apply the lessons to their designs!! Sound simple to me! but I am no designer or flashlight manufacturer, so they may be some technical reason that we are not aware of?:thinking:
Anyway like you I do love the EA4 for its incredible power out of AA batteries but for me the defective lockout method and the weak blue locator are frustrating, so close but so far from perfection!!!!

Verndog

Enlightened
Close one eye when its on its lowest mode - helps with retaining night vision... :thumbsup:

Any pics with the silicone diffuser anyone?

Or for firefly mode then close both eyes and look through your eyelashes. :D

There is no doubt this light is still uselessly hobbled. That is why it's near top of most users favorite list.

Last edited: