Nitecore P12 (XM-L2; 950 Lumens)

GodIsLight

Newly Enlightened
After two or three minutes (not certain) the P12 is said to step down, or begin stepping down gradually until 450 lumens and then hold that for 35 minutess. But to my eyes, I don't see a step down at all no matter how long the light stays on high.

Now, my question is, is it merely not stepping down at all and simply just running down in lumens with the battery or is it "gradually" stepping down so small that I can't see it? At any rate, I like not seeing a "turbo" mode step down abruptly. But also, I don't want a slow imperceivable drain down in lumens which keeps my light toooo hot for too long thus doing damage sooner to my torch.

Is the P12 simply not stepping down at all but just falling off as the battery falls off? Would this be harder on the emitter etc? Or is it a nice system with a smooth stepping down that is pleasing to look at?

GodIsLight

Newly Enlightened
"High-efficiency regulation circuit provides unwavering output"

And what is "unwavering output?" Kind of misled me into thinking "constant output." Which obviously it is not.And it doesn't seem the P12 is quite 12k lux or 950lm according to my eyes and others and http://www.taschenlampen-forum.de/ni...ool-white.html

Hopefully I am mistaken. I really don't like misleading ads, says alot about the maker. Looking forward to a review by selfbuilt, if he does one.

But over all I love the light, it lights up everything up to 100-125 yrds or so and hits objects up to 175-200 maybe? Don't believe it hits 220 yrds, at least according to my evaluation. But basically it seems to be an upgraded PD35 w/ better features etc and a "not so cool white" tint.

Just be honest about your product Nitecore. I will have doubts about buying another Nitecore product.

Last edited:

omarshan2003

Newly Enlightened
After two or three minutes (not certain) the P12 is said to step down, or begin stepping down gradually until 450 lumens and then hold that for 35 minutess. But to my eyes, I don't see a step down at all no matter how long the light stays on high.

Now, my question is, is it merely not stepping down at all and simply just running down in lumens with the battery or is it "gradually" stepping down so small that I can't see it? At any rate, I like not seeing a "turbo" mode step down abruptly. But also, I don't want a slow imperceivable drain down in lumens which keeps my light toooo hot for too long thus doing damage sooner to my torch.

Is the P12 simply not stepping down at all but just falling off as the battery falls off? Would this be harder on the emitter etc? Or is it a nice system with a smooth stepping down that is pleasing to look at?

Hi , I'm new here in this forum and I'm not sure i can post this here , i bought my first flashlight (P12)few days ago and i liked the quality and the features , my problem is that the company put feature to prevent over heat by reducing the lumen automatically from 950 lumen to 210 after 3 minutes , mine cant do that , the device after few minutes become HOT and I'm not sure how the absence of this feature will effect the over all performance . the dealer said that the device will turn off in case of overheat anyway (i couldn't get confirmation from the company about that) what i have to do now , ignore it ? or try to convince the dealer that such malfunction will require warranty to replace the product ....really confused :(.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
my problem is that the company put feature to prevent over heat by reducing the lumen automatically from 950 lumen to 210 after 3 minutes , mine cant do that , the device after few minutes become HOT and I'm not sure how the absence of this feature will effect the over all performance .
Who told you that? It has been explained in this thread already. There is no single step-down after 3 minutes. After 3-5 minutes P12 starts to reduce brightness and does it gradually for quite a long time (which makes it almost unnoticeable) until it reaches about 450 lumens. There's nothing wrong with your flashlight, enjoy it.

GodIsLight

Newly Enlightened
Yea, exactly what phantom23 said! I purchased the P12 also and love it! Also was concerned about the apparent "no step down" but found out it does, but does it gradually, which I just love! Feels like it never leaves 950 lumens because your eyes adjust as it drops ever so smoothly to 450lm and by then its plenty of light for another 35 minutes at 450lm and then fades smoothly to 210lm.

I myself like this rather than the abrupt step downs which are much more noticeable with a sense of disappointment.

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
"High-efficiency regulation circuit provides unwavering output"

And what is "unwavering output?" Kind of misled me into thinking "constant output." Which obviously it is not.And it doesn't seem the P12 is quite 12k lux or 950lm according to my eyes and others and http://www.taschenlampen-forum.de/ni...ool-white.html

Hopefully I am mistaken. I really don't like misleading ads, says alot about the maker. Looking forward to a review by selfbuilt, if he does one.

But over all I love the light, it lights up everything up to 100-125 yrds or so and hits objects up to 175-200 maybe? Don't believe it hits 220 yrds, at least according to my evaluation. But basically it seems to be an upgraded PD35 w/ better features etc and a "not so cool white" tint.

Just be honest about your product Nitecore. I will have doubts about buying another Nitecore product.

P12 is a buck-only driver. definitely DOES NOT have "unwavering output" :laughing:

once the cell voltage goes below a certain point it stops being able to achieve 950 lumens. will test the P16 later but i'm guessing that after 10mins of cumulative runtime the cell is below the threshold already

the only single-cell flashlights with "unwavering output" are zebralights and Armyteks with FULL regulation

GodIsLight

Newly Enlightened
Well, I do have to retract my statement that it doesn't seem to hit 220 yrds. I had chance to test its throw better tonight and I must agree it does illuminate objects that far, not greatly so, but it does hit them and you can tell.

And as far as the "unwavering output" thing, I guess that could be defined as "having no noticeable step down". I can buy that.

Love my P12! Awesome light the more I get to use it~!

GodIsLight

Newly Enlightened
once the cell voltage goes below a certain point it stops being able to achieve 950 lumens. will test the P16 later but i'm guessing that after 10mins of cumulative runtime the cell is below the threshold already

Its said to run 950lm for first 3 mins, then gradually drop off to 450lm. So will it run at 950lms, 3 mins at a time for a total of 1:15mins (on a 18650) as claimed or not?

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
So will it run at 950lms, 3 mins at a time for a total of 1:15mins (on a 18650) as claimed or not?
Are you asking about accumulated runtime (3 mins + 3 mins + 3 mins ...)? If so - it won't. ANSI runtime number means time to the moment when output drops down to 10% of initial brightness of a single run. It includes all stepdowns.

Last edited:

GodIsLight

Newly Enlightened
I was asking a question not stating a fact. I wasn't saying the P12 runs at 950lm for 3 mins each time until it has run at 950lm for 1:15mins. I was asking "does" it?

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
@GodIsLight
Don't be picky, I wrote "asking" so I was aware of it. Don't read to much out of my post. I just changed it, I hope it'll make you feel better.

GodIsLight

Newly Enlightened
@GodIsLight
Don't be picky, I wrote "asking" so I was aware of it. Don't read to much out of my post. I just changed it, I hope it'll make you feel better.

Gotcha, just wanted to be clear that I was asking and not claiming. So are you saying it should drop no more than 10% of original brightness at 3 mins?

Trying to understand, thanks!

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, drop down to 10% of initial brightness in a single run. And that's ANSI runtime (1h15min in P12). It doesn't matter what happens between (stepdowns etc).

ibild

Newly Enlightened
Thank you all for you generous information! New member, I confess that I have come here first to get questions answered that I had about a particular purchase I was thinking on making.

Again Thanks from Wyoming!

blackFFM

Newly Enlightened
P12 is a buck-only driver. definitely DOES NOT have "unwavering output" :laughing:

the only single-cell flashlights with "unwavering output" are zebralights and Armyteks with FULL regulation

Does that mean that after I have used the light for over 10min in total, the 950 Lumens aren't achievable with the same battery ever again until I recharge it?

Petir

Newly Enlightened
Will I get any benefits by using an IMR or unprotected ICR on this flashlight?