Nitecore P12 (XM-L2; 950 Lumens)

regulation

Newly Enlightened
Size: basically the same
Output: P12 has higher listed output, but needs 3rd party verification
Runtimes: Very similar, turbo runtime scheme to 30 mins, do we know what the P12 does after 30 mins at 450?
Tint: P12 reported as more neutral so far
Tail Stand: both can tail stand
Beam Pattern: Does P12 have comparable flood and spill? Is P12 hotspot as big as PD35? Does it actually throw as far as advertised?
Price: P12 is currently cheaper at $60 vs $70ish
Bonus: both have low voltage warnings, but P12 system has voltage check

I think more info/feedback is needed on this light and its pros and convs vs Fenix PD35 before you could say it is better. They seem similar enough that it will likely come down to personal preference for most people.

also, the P12 doesn't have a later step. The PD35 turbo can last 5mins before dropping to 450LM. hope to see Waymed's comparisiom of these two lights.

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
My opinions of my Nitecore P12 and Fenix PD35 copies:
- both lights are nearly identical in size. the Eagletac 3400mah 18650 will fit in to both of them.
- The P12 has better defined (protruding) anti-roll flats than the PD35. In the end, the P12 will roll less, assuming clips are not attached.
- The P12 has a white tint whereas the PD35 is slightly yellow-green.
- The P12 has a more obvious doughnut in the center vs the PD35.
- The P12 clearly has a smaller spot and spill than the PD35. So yes, the P12 'throws' farther, but not by any clearly useful distance.
- The P12 can tail stand, even with a wrist strap attached. The PD35 has a slightly protruding switch that prevents tail-standing. For me, it is irritating when a light will not tail-stand since I often use tail-standing.
- The PD35 has a varying strobe frequency vs the constant strobe frequency of the P12.
- The PD35 clearly steps down. I have yet to notice a stepdown in the P12.

- My initial impression is that the P12 is probably a better version of the PD35. After a couple weeks of using them side-by-side I will have a firmer opinion.

Ref beam tints: Although white-wall hunting will show tint variations, in normal use tints are not noticeable to me unless I critically look for them - in which case I am paying attention to the lights and not what I was supposed to be doing. Actually, the most yellow-green tinted light I have is the TM11, followed by the S6330, both when on low(er) power (XM-L). At higher powers, the LEDs slide towards the white tint.

Waymed

Newly Enlightened
I just returned back from the field and the woods in the background, carrying both my P12 and my PD35.
I did not test the drop down using my watch (however, it did seem that P12 did not reduce during my test...)

The P12 did have a smaller hot spot and on distance a slightly less spill. More flood on the Pd35.
On the issue on throw, the P12 had a "slight" edge (however, the perspection was negligible). On a 55 gal. drum at about 120 meters, the P12 "seemed" to be brighter. I do not feel that the difference is not a tie breaker.

I really like both lights.

My positives for the Pd35:

5 levels of light (vs. 4 for the P12) - I do like to use the 450 lumen as a selection at times.
Quality construction.
More flood when needed.
Springs on both ends of the battery (less sensitive to different batteries).

My positives on the P12:

Moonlight setting.....great for in the house.
Tail standing.
Tactical ring.....easier to turn the light on.
Can memorize the strobe.
More preferred light color (not a major difference).
Looser holster.
Similar quality to the Pd35.
Voltage indicator.
My favorite of my 4 Nitecores.

Both are good EDC's for me and I will use both. I might use the P12 a bit more often than the Pd35.

Again....this is a initial take and time will tell. I did expect that the Fenix would have a edge on the quality but the Nitecore seems just as well built!

One more note....I like the UI on both lights....very similar to use.

Last edited:

rje58

Enlightened
My initial impression of the P12 is:

-- it has a lot more useful flood than I thought it might, given its advance billing as a 'pocket thrower'; it definitely does NOT have the 'laser thin beam' that some speculated about
-- the tint is white, a cool white, not greenish or bluish but not warm either (my EagleTac D25CL2 has a warmer tint, and better color rendition outdoors)
-- the firefly mode is pretty low, which for me is a good thing
-- I like the built-in voltage indicator
-- mode changes via the side switch will take me a little getting used to; I still catch myself soft pressing the rear clicky when I want to change modes
-- it's not quite small enough for my EDC rotation; the P12 will be a situational light for me, for when I need/want more light than any of my EDC lights can produce, but size is still a factor. This isn't to say it isn't small enough to be an EDC light, just that it isn't quite small enough to be an EDC for me. I tend to go with very small EDC lights.

Overall I am well pleased with it so far.

Last edited:

geraldL

Newly Enlightened
So tempted to get the P12 after reading all the initial reviews above... Seems like a very well built light; great for EDC as well. Neutral tint, voltage indicator and tail standing capability are bonuses to an already fantastic light.

iomohvd

Newly Enlightened
Do you know better "pocket thrower" than P12?
P12 is most thrower EDC light as far as I know

texastactical

Newly Enlightened
Is the only way to carry this lens down? I've always carried lens up in my support side pocket. I've occasionally had a light come on while it is in my pocket. Which leads me to my next question, does the P12 have a lockout feature?

Saquavin

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for first reviews. Can't wait to receive mine !
A bit disappointed that P12 has less flood than PD35, I hoped for opposite. I love my PD35 and I just missed tail-standing and battery indicator on it, so if P12 is "a better PD35" like you say, it will be great !

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
A bit disappointed that P12 has less flood than PD35, I hoped for opposite.
I think this was pretty much expected as a tradeoff for more throw. The only thing I don't like in it is length, I think I used to EC2 too much ;)

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think this was pretty much expected as a tradeoff for more throw. The only thing I don't like in it is length, I think I used to EC2 too much ;)

Yes, and we still don't know if it has more throw. A couple of people vaguely mentioned it doesn't seem to have much more throw than a PD35

Waymed

Newly Enlightened
Does it have a lockout feature?

Michael,

The rear clicky could be perceived to be true lockout and if you loosen the rear cap it will not work at all.
I believe this could be a "yes" to your question.

Last edited: