Nitecore SRT 7

Albert56

Newly Enlightened
I got my TX25C2 and SRT-7 out for a quick side by side last night. This ain't no Selfbuilt review here, folks - just an overview and impressions.

Overall the total light output between the two is fairly similar, with the SRT-7 outshining the TX by a modest but noticeable amount. The SRT has a more concentrated and intense hot spot compared to the TX, throws a bit better and it's spill is slightly brighter as well. My "shine it in your friends eyes test" got 3 out 3 votes for the SRT-7. Of course, I don't recommend that any of you do this - it's unsafe and the manufacturer warns against it (heh heh! :devil:). Tint and general beam quality were good in both, as they both have nicely polished reflectors and the same led.

What I did like a lot more about the SRT was it's UI. I think the control ring is a lot more useful and direct than "coded" button presses and head twists. The head micro-switch assembly on my TX is very finicky in that if you don't keep it very clean the light will tend to stick up when switching modes. Not so with the SRT (so far anyway). The colored led's have detents on the ring, along with a beacon mode, standby detent (tail cap on and red led flashes on the side, telling you it's "hot"), an infinitely variable main beam, and a fixed frequency strobe. The light can be left set on any of these modes and turned on and off with the tail cap switch as the user desires. Also, the tail clicky is much better in the dark. The TX has little to no tactile feed back and I end up fumbling for the switch half the time.

The SRT-7 has 4 colored led modes: flashing red/blue "police" effect, blue, green and red. The police mode is kind of fun, but I don't know if it's legal to use everywhere. As to the solid colors, there's a lot of cross reflections and weird patterns in the green and blue beam, with only the red rendering a somewhat tighter, although still not very smooth beam. This is because of the way the led's are placed around the periphery of the reflector - blue part outermost, green middle and red innermost. Also, there's a pronounced difference in intensity between red and the other colors, with red being much less bright. I know human eyes are less sensitive to red than green or blue, so that might explain this difference. Anyway, red is the color I'm most likely to use and it's bright enough for dark adapted eyes.

My sample seems to have an intermittent problem with the blue led mode switching to flashing red/blue police mode unless I turn it slightly past it's detent. All the other modes work flawlessly and I don't find this to be a big deal.

In conclusion: I like this light. From what I've seen so far I be using the smaller TX for casual carry and the SRT-7 for work and astronomy.

Hope this helps with your purchasing decisions.

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
My sample seems to have an intermittent problem with the blue led mode switching to flashing red/blue police mode unless I turn it slightly past it's detent. All the other modes work flawlessly and I don't find this to be a big deal.

With other ring selector flashlights, I've noticed that if there's a cross over problem like this when they're new, they only tend to get worse over time. It might be good to monitor it to see if there's any change with use.

Glad you're enjoying it and thanks for the report!

Albert56

Newly Enlightened
With other ring selector flashlights, I've noticed that if there's a cross over problem like this when they're new, they only tend to get worse over time. It might be good to monitor it to see if there's any change with use.

Glad you're enjoying it and thanks for the report!

Thanks for the tip. I'll be sure to keep an eye on it. When you say "over time", about how long would you say before I'd know if it's going to get worse or not?

NorthernStar

Enlightened
Albert56,that´s a great mini review!

When you are running the SRT7 at turbo mode, does it step down in effect after 3 minutes to a lower mode?

Albert56

Newly Enlightened
Albert56,that´s a great mini review!

When you are running the SRT7 at turbo mode, does it step down in effect after 3 minutes to a lower mode?

Thank you. Good question - I didn't check that out in my initial "first light". Last night I ran it again on turbo for about 4 1/2 minutes and (to my eyes at least) saw no step down. By this time the red led on the side was starting to flash, indicating some battery voltage drop as well. If it has a step step down, it might be heat activated (?) and the head wasn't very hot yet.

Anyway, I think 4 minutes straight is longer than most people are likely to run a flashlight in turbo during normal use, so I'm satisfied with this result. My TX25C2 gets considerably hotter on turbo - not surprising, considering the much smaller dimensions.

BTW, I've seen the rioting going on in Sweden in the news. Hope you and those you know haven't been adversely affected.

NorthernStar

Enlightened
Thank you. Good question - I didn't check that out in my initial "first light". Last night I ran it again on turbo for about 4 1/2 minutes and (to my eyes at least) saw no step down. By this time the red led on the side was starting to flash, indicating some battery voltage drop as well. If it has a step step down, it might be heat activated (?) and the head wasn't very hot yet.

Anyway, I think 4 minutes straight is longer than most people are likely to run a flashlight in turbo during normal use, so I'm satisfied with this result. My TX25C2 gets considerably hotter on turbo - not surprising, considering the much smaller dimensions.

BTW, I've seen the rioting going on in Sweden in the news. Hope you and those you know haven't been adversely affected.

Thank´s for your consern! The riots has fortunately not taken place in the city where i live. However the city where the riots has taken place 5 nights in a row lies close to mine so i hope that the riots does not spread to my city, but there is a high risk that it´s going to happen.

According to Patriots review of the SRT7 he ran it at highest mode continuously for over 15 minutes without the light stepped down in effect. When reading the SRT7 manual it says that when running it at turbo mode it will step down after 3 minutes to prevent overheating. I´d just want to check with another owner if you can verify that the SRT7 in reality does not have a timer based step down in effect feature, rather it has a heat activated protection allowing it to be run at turbo mode far longer than 3 minutes,depending on the temperature of the surrounding air.

Mike9028

Enlightened
Thanks for the review Albert. And Patriot for another fine video review. My SRT 7 will be here today sometime..It will go along side my RC40 and Surefire fury :)

NorthernStar

Enlightened
According to a german dealer nitcore confirmed this was an error in the manual. There´s no step down after 3 minuteds.

Eric

Thank you for that info! :)

I was beginning to think so that there has to be an error somewhere since from what i have seen so far has no owner to a SRT7 have reported any stepdown when running the light at turbo mode even long after 3 minutes. That was great news.

Albert56

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the review Albert. And Patriot for another fine video review. My SRT 7 will be here today sometime..It will go along side my RC40 and Surefire fury :)

My pleasure. I had another chance to try the SRT7 against my TX25 last night at over 150 yards and the difference is much more noticeable at this distance. The SRT has clearly better throw. At normal distances it's kind of horse/pony. I'm sure you'll like it. Let me know if you experience the same blue to red/blue/flash shifting as on mine. It could be just a fluke or a design flaw in the whole batch (?).

Albert56

Newly Enlightened
Definitly not. Mine doesn´t have that problem and on messerforum.net none of the few members who got their SRT7 did report that problem.

Eric

Thanks for the info, Eric. As long as this is the only problem I encounter, I can certainly live with it. Everything else is fine. I just hope Patriot's predictions about it getting worse over time don't prove true though. Also, as you said, the strobe is very "mean" (as it should be).

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to say the SRT7´s knurling has to be the smoothest knurling I ever felt. Completely useless and rather a design element then anything practical. If Nitecore would have machined two additional flats like those two with the Nitecore and SRT7 logos it would have been better for sure.

Eric

elo808

Newly Enlightened
Thsi light looks like the real deal! Is eagletac the way to go for the cell?

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got one of these too and I can't wait to put it through it's paces. I've just got enough other lights in my queue that I need to hold off a bit. My initial reaction was "WOW!" though. Bright and intuitive.

GreySave

Enlightened
My SRT7 arrived today and I must say that I am impressed. I am not buying many lights these days, but the multicolor capability with a powerful main beam made it too tempting to resist as a more powerful companion to my SureFire Kroma. As some have posted, the RGB LED patterns are far from smooth as should be expected, especially as compared to the Kroma. They are still quite useable however. Thus far I like the light well enough and if it continues to perform as well as expected I may pick up another at a later date.