Nitecore SRT 7

Albert56

Newly Enlightened
I've had the opportunity now to try my SRT-7 out against some of my other lights. It's a strong performer and I like it's easy to use interface and versatility. However, when I compared it with my 4 Sevens Maelstrom X10 XML version, I found the X10 at 640 lumens to have a comparable (maybe even a tad brighter) hot spot and a noticeably wider and brighter spill beam as well. I would have expected the SRT at 960 lumens to be brighter - at least the hot spot, anyway. The X10 is still my EDC for work and I think this baby was a steal when I bought it last year on clearance for just over half the price of the SRT. I think if I only had one flashlight the X10 would be it.

Tyler A

Newly Enlightened
What 18650s are you guys using with your srt-7s? I have had mine for a week and have had cr123s in it I just got my klarus xt30, xtar charger and eagletac 3400mah 18650s so I tried one out in it but it doesn't work, but they work great in the xt30 so I guess the positive end isn't small enough to hit the contact

Romo Lampkin's Cat

Newly Enlightened
What 18650s are you guys using with your srt-7s? I have had mine for a week and have had cr123s in it I just got my klarus xt30, xtar charger and eagletac 3400mah 18650s so I tried one out in it but it doesn't work, but they work great in the xt30 so I guess the positive end isn't small enough to hit the contact

I have a friend who just bought an SRT-7. We found a video on YouTube showing a spring-loaded contact button at the top of the light designed for shock absorption. Unfortunately, this design means that flat-top batteries are unlikely to work. I originally told my friend to order some unprotected NCR18650B's from a Hong Kong dealer, but when we saw this, he cancelled the order and bought the protected because the positive end has a button top. I am pleased to report that the protected cells work perfectly in the light.

So it seems that flat-tops are out and this light might need button tops.

Dirtbasher

Newly Enlightened
+1
A big drop works well, you need a fairly large soldering tip , with out touching the +plate as heat may affect the cell chemistry, done a few old cells like this to practice on.

Dropzone01

Newly Enlightened
Just recieved my SRT7 yesterday afternoon and I have to say so far I am impressed. I have some 18650's from some lasers that I own, but I was interested in some better quality ones. I see that people are suggesting Eagletac 3100 and 3400 mah cells for this light. These definately look like the way to go but I checked on the Going Gear website and they say they don't ship internationally. (this is what I have found in pretty much all of the USA distributers. I was wondering what anyone from Canada does for these batteries, there doesn't seem to be any distributers around that I can find and I am usually ordering from Fast Tech to get them . Also does anyone know if 2x 18350's can be used instead of 1x 18650 for this light?

Thanks for the info

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think your Eagletac battery should work. I am using a 3100 red banded Eagletac 18650 and it works well. I have been watching the red led battery indicator / locator led on the side of the light. As the battery drains the more you crank up the lumens the led eventually starts flashing indicating low battery charge. Back it off and it will stop flashing. It takes longer for that to happen using my AW IMR cells. The SRT 7 draws some current on the top end. I noticed the light has a soft start on the lower lumen settings. Roughly a soft start on less than halfway with the control ring. The red led is too dim to walk with, the green and blue are bright enough to walk with. The strobe function is devastating. The frequency is nasty. Beacon mode is perfect. The pause in between flashes is just right. It is not too long of a pause like most beacon modes. It would work well for use with a disabled car.

Beckler

Enlightened
Just recieved my SRT7 yesterday afternoon and I have to say so far I am impressed. I have some 18650's from some lasers that I own, but I was interested in some better quality ones. I see that people are suggesting Eagletac 3100 and 3400 mah cells for this light. These definately look like the way to go but I checked on the Going Gear website and they say they don't ship internationally. (this is what I have found in pretty much all of the USA distributers. I was wondering what anyone from Canada does for these batteries, there doesn't seem to be any distributers around that I can find and I am usually ordering from Fast Tech to get them . Also does anyone know if 2x 18350's can be used instead of 1x 18650 for this light?

Thanks for the info

I had the same issue and then I found HID Canada: http://hidcanada.com/store/index.php?main_page=index

I got 2 of their 'dark matter' 18650 but haven't actually tried them yet.

Tyler A

Newly Enlightened
Goinggear has the srt-6 IN stock now but it doesn't have the RGBs just the 930 lumens and selector ring as well as the the strobe and beacon I believe

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
Goinggear has the srt-6 IN stock now but it doesn't have the RGBs just the 930 lumens and selector ring as well as the the strobe and beacon I believe
I just checked, I see the SRT 6 listed but stock as Zero. No RGB's according to the picture of the control ring.

mhpreston

Enlightened
Hi Folks - I've just joined CPF and ordered an SRT 7, having read the reviews and comments here. With a few torches knocking around the house, I guess it was finally time to get a bit more serious!

Looking forward to using the Nitecore and might even try a bit of newbie feedback.

What is the difference between Nitecore and Jetbeam, btw? Same manufacturer?

Best wishes,

Matt

kj2

Flashaholic
Hi Folks - I've just joined CPF and ordered an SRT 7, having read the reviews and comments here. With a few torches knocking around the house, I guess it was finally time to get a bit more serious!
Looking forward to using the Nitecore and might even try a bit of newbie feedback.
What is the difference between Nitecore and Jetbeam, btw? Same manufacturer?
Best wishes,
Matt

More info; http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?346760-Whats-the-deal-with-Jetbeam

:welcome:

mhpreston

Enlightened

Thanks! (dank u wel!) Gosh - I read the other thread and it looks like they had a major split (http://www.jetbeamlight.com/).

I can see it is going to be confusing working out who actually develops and makes these torches, as opposed to who sells them (licensed or otherwise). We were in Hong Kong last month and it was fascinating to see first- hand the huge variety of stuff on the market. Reading the South China Morning Post (excellent paper) also gave me an insight into the challenges local and international businesses faced in terms of corruption and crime. Just wished I had found this forum before I left - I might have been able to pick up an SRT 7 for a lot less than retail here!

kamuro

Newly Enlightened
i just received one of these lights from goinggear. great light. super bright and very good throw...if you're looking for a strobe that will make you sick, this is the one...

couple thoughts...while it says infinitely adjustable, i've found it's really hard to get it into those low lumen numbers. comparing with my quark and klarus st11, the nitecore is visibly a lot brighter at its lowest setting. what's more is, the nitecore wont stay steadily in that setting. it kind of flickers on and off...this is not a low output light...

that is until you turn on the LED's. fine by me, but i would have appreciated a brighter/much brighter police strobe function. on the flip side of that coin is, the red is perfect for reading star charts or other things at night without ruining your night vision.

overall the UI is adequate. simple and fast access to all modes, and the selector stays put for the most part. the holster is of good quality, as is the whole light in general. feels good in the hand.

where it is a superstar is when you need to blast light downrange as far as possible...this light throws light. lol. very pleased with the max output. looking forward to putting it through it's paces in northern maine for a week long backwoods camping trip 7 days from now.

herosemblem

Enlightened
Thank you for your thoughts on the light. Would there be any benefit to you personally if the light had a brighter police strobe?

kamuro

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for your thoughts on the light. Would there be any benefit to you personally if the light had a brighter police strobe?

personally i could see a situation in which i would be required to use the police strobe function due to the nature of my job, if that function was brighter. at the same time, i've lived without that function now for years, as there are alternatives available...but if the function would be effective, it would be a nice feature to have access to.