Nitecore TM15 @ 2450 lm

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did read the 3 pages of the German flashlight forum review up to 16 Okt. and at least some of their TM15 copies appear to contain a possible but minor bug: so far with several copies, one or more of the main LEDs glow steadily in a very very low glow mode that is visible _only_ in _complete_ darkness. If the head is slightly unscrewed, all glowing stops. The current leakage values measured vary widely depending on how many main LEDs were still glowing and thereby does include the current draw for still-active voltage measurement and indication, but one report indicates from 0.9 to 1.8ma.

Caveat: I do not like to cite or gist from another flashlight forum. The point of posting at all was to identify a possible bug to look for in the US copies. As the history from the US TM11 lights show, Nitecore reacts rather quickly to reports of problems.

edit: a later post suggested that the very very low glow in the main LEDs was intentional to avoid a turn-on shock, especially during very cold temps. As always, YMMV!

Sberri - this is post 97 in this thread. Apparently the info came from another flashlight forum that had more info on this than CFP......lol. The glow must be by design. Since the TM15 is easily rechargeable with the plug-in feature, this wouldn't bother me.

Last edited:

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
here in comparison to thrunite ti (0,04 lumens):

Not really a problem i think? Would last 2 years to discharge the batteries. Statement from Nitecore would be interesting.

Sberri - This is post 98 earlier in this thread. Does yours look like this too?

Last edited:

Wiking

Newly Enlightened
I have just received my TM 15 today. Great light, massive output better UI than TM 11...

My TM 15 have a small glow from the LED's when turned of as mentioned earlier in this thread, has anyone heard from Nitecore why this is, or found documentation that explain why, or is it simply a mistake that should not be there?

I think someone mentioned this was to avoid thermal shock at startup, especially in cold weather. Something about cold German winters rings a bell. I assume the thermal expansion of the die when starting from cold/off to sudden max brightness might decrease LED life. Or maybe I'm completely off on this one.

Speaking of heat, does the head get hot fast on max?

I have newer heard that "cold start" of the LED should be a problem, I have many lights whit the same XML U2 LED hard driven that does not glow in the dark... I'm just confused.

Sberri - this is post 97 in this thread. Apparently the info came from another flashlight forum that had more info on this than CFP......lol. The glow must be by design. Since the TM15 is easily rechargeable with the plug-in feature, this wouldn't bother me.

No, the glow of the LED's on TM15 should not be there, and that it's a flaw can easily be proved by pointing out that there are reports of 1-3 of the LED's glowing in different units of TM15. Should the LED's glow for some kind of preheat/protection of course all three should glow not 1-3 of them.

The Answer from Nitecore is that they shouldn't glow.

About the heat.

I have tried my TM15 tailstanding on my table on turbo mode, and it got really hot in short time, almost impossible to hold in bare hands. I measured well over 65° C with an IR temp meter on the front half of the TM15.

Yesterday I tried turbomode outside in sort of chilly conditions, around 2-5° C ambient temp but no wind. Then it just got a bit warm and cozy to hold, and that even though I run it on Turbo constantly for almost one hour. No problem at all to hold with bare hands.

Last edited:

Sberri

Newly Enlightened
I have gotten the same answer from Nitecore, the glow is not supposed to be there.

CouldUseALight

Newly Enlightened
I am glad to hear Nitecore will replace, as my LEDs glow in off of standby.

The glow is totally even across all three LEDs and does not flicker, in my unit. I was assuming it was not a bug.

Thanks for the info.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am glad to hear Nitecore will replace, as my LEDs glow in off of standby.
Actually affected users are asked to contact their dealer first!
wink2.gif

Last edited:

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitecore told me that users with the glow are eligible for a FREE replacement by any chosen future updated version within the limits of the 18 months warranty but that users without the glow are not eligible for any such replacement by upcoming versions unless another technical issue or malfunction arises during the 18 months since purchase. Users with the glow would have to send in the light directly to the Nitecore factory in China (Attn.: Lei Jun lai).

This is great news for all early adopters who do have the glow. They can get the latest version in future without problems by direct exchange through the Nitecore factory. Terrific service by SYSMAX!

Thank you for the update.

I did check my TM15 and it has no problem.

I do however on my TM11's and TM15 lock out the tail cap by the amount to turn off the light in a complete shut down. This takes a very small counter-clockwise turn. :thumbsup:

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wiking - Thanks for the info - a real 'bug' after all ! So much for the 'cold German winters' theory. Great exchange policy for a future updated TM15 - wow!

Thanks also for the heat test - a bit hotter (indoors) than I expected.

Last edited:

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks also for the heat test - a bit hotter (indoors) than I expected.
Mine doesnt get hot. Well, not really.
Let's see what selfbuilt finds out!!

Last edited:

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
After living with it for a few weeks, I'm tending to lean towards the TM11 more and sell the TM11 neutral. The TM15 has longer throw and better mode spacing BUT the TM11 wins me out personally for:

1. less protruding and sensitive switch
2. no flimsy charging cover
3. neutral color is nicer (could be tint lottery, but the several I've tried isn't as nice)
4. blue blinking standby (instead of red)

If I'm looking for long throw, I might lean towards the new Fenix TK7x series...

brdavis

Newly Enlightened
For throw I would look at the Thrunite TN31. If you go to the Thurnite store it is on sale for $139. Also, if you guys watch e-bay you can get the TM15 at a better price. I was able to get my TM15 for $228 shipped.

Yourfun2

Enlightened
After living with it for a few weeks, I'm tending to lean towards the TM11 more and sell the TM11 neutral. The TM15 has longer throw and better mode spacing BUT the TM11 wins me out personally for:

1. less protruding and sensitive switch
2. no flimsy charging cover
3. neutral color is nicer (could be tint lottery, but the several I've tried isn't as nice)
4. blue blinking standby (instead of red)

If I'm looking for long throw, I might lean towards the new Fenix TK7x series...
I'm glad you posted this since I have been contemplating moving up to the TM15. I like th TM11 being as small as possible and putting out a good flood. I like my TN31 for throw but much heavier light. Being a thrower, there is no spill close to where you are walking. Makes me feel like I'm walking into a tunnel. Fun to play with, not practicle for walking down the road. Excels as a weapon for going out to see what's going on. Strobe has easy access too.

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as the recharger port cover being 'flimsy', I'm not sure that matters from a practical standpoint since it is probably waterproof without it like the similar recharger ports on the Rofis TR31C and Niteye TR20, both of which have a recharger port but with no cover at all and are still rated as water proof to IXP-8 standards.

Last edited:

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
As far as the recharger port cover being 'flimsy', I'm not sure that matters from a practical standpoint since it is probably waterproof without it like the similar recharger ports on the Rofis TR31C and Niteye TR20, both of which have a recharger port but with no cover at all and are still rated as water proof to IXP-8 standards.

You're probably right, though it appears to be too much of an afterthought which is my beef...

"Oh wait guys maybe we should put a cover on the charging port. Hand me that bit of leftover rubber and that Philips screw."

Soltani231

Newly Enlightened
I have the TM-11, 15 and the TN30. The Nitecore products seem slightly better quality and the single button on the side allows for one handed operation. The TN30 is just as bright as the TM-15 if not a bit longer throw but the ring selector does not feel that solid. For the $169 the TN30 is a fantastic buy but if you are willing to spend over $200 the TM-15 gives you a bit better quality and usability with the built in recharger and the single handed operation.

I just received the tm15 from battery Junction. They had a nice 15% off 48 hr. sale. I was somewhat disappointed. I also ordered some Panasonic Orbtronic protected batteries. Well, I put the batteries in and hit the switch. Only one of the three bulbs lights up. after fiddling with the switch a little more, a second bulb randomly turns on and off. The one bulb though will not turn off after repeatedly pushing the button. I had to open the battery compartment to shut it off. Inside the battery compartment, it had a faint smell of burned electronics. I was expecting a little more from a $300 light. I got the RMA set up for return.

The question I am debating now is whether I should have them ship a replacement tm15 or should I go with the Thrunite tn30? For those that have both, which do you prefer?

pageyjim

Enlightened
Too Expensive. The Sunwayman T60CS is about $215 shipped, with charger. It has 2350-2500 lumens (depending on which reviewer's test is most accurate) and throws much better than the TM11. The T60CS has been measured at 34,100 lux. Spec for new TM15 says 33,000. The TM's are just too large in diameter, and now the TM15 is 1/2 inch longer than T60CS. The 3 battery format is a much better grip size. And 3 batts is enough.

New TM15 throw spec is 363 meters. T60CS is 372.5 meters. So it would appear that Nitecore is aiming for more throwy like the T60CS. They now appear to be identical in Throw and Lumen output. I'll take the smaller and much cheaper Sunwayman.

Talked me into getting the T60CS, very happy with it. The 3 battery format makes for a very nice feel. Nice beam pattern for a 3 emitter light. Slightly warm tint which is probably a plus for most here. Great build quality, doesn't get as hot as the TM11. I understand there might be some debate as to what that means. The T60CS appears to be about 1mm to small to accept my M3C4 diffuser that also works on the TM11. The TM11 doesn't really need it, it would be a big plus for me if it worked on the SWM. The SWM tailstands, though a bit wobbly compared to the TM. Unless I get I get a can't refuse deal I will pass on the TM15.

[email protected]

Newly Enlightened
Out of curiosity does anyone know the latest "version" update for the TM15 being shipped?

I am still waiting for mine to arrive and hope it is not an older buggy version. Thanks...