Nitecore Tube - USB charging issues?

The Shadow

Newly Enlightened
Anyone have any issues charging the new Nitecore Tube? Just got one yesterday and I think it's a pretty nice $10 light. I really like the idea of charging it up instead of swapping out button cell batteries. But there's the problem - I can't get it to charge consistently.

I played with it a lot last night to run down the initial charge. Hooked it up to a micro-USB (that charges my Droid), but it wouldn't charge. Tried another cable - same deal. And another, this time wiggling the cable back and forth until the blue charge LED lit up. Then I moved it and it went out. Then back on... I tried a few cables with different chargers - no luck. Basically it's got a bad connection.

Not going to cry too much over a $10 light, but I've got to admit it's the "coolness factor" that sold me on it. I've got a micro-USB charger with me wherever I am - home, work, car - so I think this charging method is a great idea.

Anyone have any solutions??

NotSoBrightBob

Newly Enlightened
I have two and they charge fine with any cable I throw at them. You may have a got a bum one. Not sure how much they can QC for 10$ a light with those features.

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums

The Shadow

Newly Enlightened
You may have a got a bum one.

I think you're right. Figures...

Get your refund/exchange.

If I bought it in a real store, no problem. But I bought it from an online battery vendor while I was buying some batteries (needed a new SLA battery for my UPS). Their RMA policy states that they bill for shipping on the replacements. So I paid to ship the original, then I'll pay to ship it back, then I'll pay for them to send the replacement... forget it - for $10 it'll be cheaper to just buy a new one from a more reputable vendor.

I was kind of hoping I could make this one work out. It really is a cool little light!

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I bought it in a real store, no problem. But I bought it from an online battery vendor while I was buying some batteries (needed a new SLA battery for my UPS). Their RMA policy states that they bill for shipping on the replacements. So I paid to ship the original, then I'll pay to ship it back, then I'll pay for them to send the replacement... forget it - for $10 it'll be cheaper to just buy a new one from a more reputable vendor.

I'd try calling them first. Especially if you are a repeat customer, or spent a decent chunk of change for other stuff, they might be willing to make an exception. Better to spend the $10 to just send you another, then to **** off a customer, and potentially lose all your future business too. Companies know that if you are motivated enough to call, you might also be motivated enough to either trash, or improve their reputation. Anyway, it would be worth a shot...I've had more success than failures, and either way it should only cost you a few minutes of your time.

The Shadow

Newly Enlightened
I have two and also in my case I can charge them with anyone of the bunch of cables that lay in my drawer.
Thanks for the info. I probably just got a dud.

I'd try calling them first. Especially if you are a repeat customer, or spent a decent chunk of change for other stuff, they might be willing to make an exception. Better to spend the $10 to just send you another, then to **** off a customer, and potentially lose all your future business too. Companies know that if you are motivated enough to call, you might also be motivated enough to either trash, or improve their reputation. Anyway, it would be worth a shot...I've had more success than failures, and either way it should only cost you a few minutes of your time.
Good advice. I did e-mail them originally with a description of the problem, just like I posted here. Instead of getting a reply like "sorry you had a problem, let's work it out," their reply was a form e-mail more like "print this, initial here to authorize us to charge your credit card for freight charges..." I wrote back and said I wouldn't agree to those terms. If I mail it back I expect them to send me a replacement without billing me again. I didn't get a reply. I'll admit I do get annoyed at sub-par customer service, especially since it's a vendor I've purchased from in the past, one of the first I found after joining CPF all those years ago.

I'll rally that CPF spirit and try to fix it myself! If I find a solution, I'll post it here. Thanks for the input everyone.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll rally that CPF spirit and try to fix it myself! If I find a solution, I'll post it here. Thanks for the input everyone.
If swapping cables doesn't work, if the charge-providing USB port works for other things, then it sounds like a loose connection in the port on the light.

If you have no recourse with the dealer, 4 microscrews and the NC Tube pops open. You might just reflow the leads coming from the micro usb connector. If not handy with a soldering iron, find a friend. Soldering is a common skill.

It's what I would try if I were just going to throw it away otherwise.

Good luck!

ScottJD

Newly Enlightened
Have you tried contacting Nitecore to see if they will replace it?

We are the Nitecore US distributor, wholesaler and retailer located in Austin TX. We are proud to sell high quality Nitecore products and strive the best customer service.

Office Hour: M-F 9:00am - 5:00pm Central Time

Phone: 512-258-6649

Email: [email protected]

Scott

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
And another, this time wiggling the cable back and forth until the blue charge LED lit up. Then I moved it and it went out. Then back on... I tried a few cables with different chargers - no luck. Basically it's got a bad connection.

One of the most common issues at phone repair centers is the micro usb coming off the board. You could try your luck at a phone repair center to see if they could do it for free or a small fee.

ScottJD

Newly Enlightened
Not that a bad idea MrFloppy. I just repaired a micro USB female port on a jawbone blutooth portable speaker.
They are not the easiest thing to replace even for someone like me that has been doing soldering for years.
The problem I ran into on that speaker is the cord was forced in upside down and it tore the wire contacts and soldering pads off the board.

I would guess since this tube is new it was just a bad solder joint to begin with and could be an easy fix.

Scott

The Shadow

Newly Enlightened
Have you tried contacting Nitecore to see if they will replace it?

I didn't. When it's brand new I expect the store to take care of it, even if they claim they are not responsible for product defects.

Too late now anyway. I violated the warranty by opening it up and modding the case a bit. I'll explain. I took out the guts of the light and it charged up fine. Put them back and it wouldn't work. Looking at the port, from the outside, it wasn't entirely lined up with the hole in the side of the plastic shell. The plug would fit into the charging port securely, BUT the shell of the light put pressure on the plug, probably breaking the connection. I had to take a razor and carve out the plastic, making the hole for the charging port bigger. Now when the plug is inserted there's no pressure on it and the light charges.

Of course now I've got an ugly light that's all scratched up, and the rubber cap doesn't fit so good, but it charges and lights!!

We are the Nitecore US distributor, wholesaler and retailer located in Austin TX. We are proud to sell high quality Nitecore products and strive the best customer service.
I'll remember you for next time! Probably should've shopped with your store from the beginning, but I was shopping in the Battery store (I'd rather not name them here) and this Nitecore was an impulse buy... Thanks everyone for your help. Hope my homemade fix comes in handy for someone else.

ScottJD

Newly Enlightened
I'll remember you for next time! Probably should've shopped with your store from the beginning, but I was shopping in the Battery store (I'd rather not name them here) and this Nitecore was an impulse buy... Thanks everyone for your help. Hope my homemade fix comes in handy for someone else.

Woops, just to be clear that part about the store was supposed to be quoted since I copied it from the Nitecore store webpage. I don't run that store :)

Glad you got it fixed, sounds like the port wasn't flush with the board when it was soldered on.

Scott

The Shadow

Newly Enlightened
Woops, just to be clear that part about the store was supposed to be quoted since I copied it from the Nitecore store webpage. I don't run that store :)Scott
Sorry, I misunderstood your post. Either way they're probably a good bet for a future purchase.

have you tried some rubbing alcohol in both connecting areas? then keep pushing it in and out.
I tried that before ripping it apart. It's a good idea, but it didn't work in this case. Thanks.

The Shadow

Newly Enlightened
Just an update to anyone looking at the Nitecore Tube...

I bought another one. Lasted a few months on the keychain and died. Charges fine, but won't light.

My personal opinion, based on owning two Nitecore Tubes, is that these are not well made and don't hold up to normal use. Nitecore's support is not any better. Three e-mails over two weeks and I can't even get a reply... I guess it's better I found out how bad they were on two $10 lights before I spent any big money on their other lights.

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one that has been to NYC & back and seen some rough treatment but is still working fine. I wonder if anyone cares enough to do a tally? I have only had one reason to contact Nitecore regarding Service(I broke the physical reverse polarity guard on my SRT3 and they emailed me back in less than 24 hours and sent me a tracking number in less than another 24 hours. I don't mean to make light of "The Shadow"'s experience, just sharing my experience . Anyone else care to share?

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a Tube (Amazon / December 13, 2014) and a TubeVN (Vinh / December 23, 2014) and both are working fine without drama.

2bneU0H.jpg

icYy8mU.jpg

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had one of my original tubes on my keychain since I got it in Nov of 2014 (prerelease buy from the Nitecore Store), and it works just fine. I have one that didn't light up when I tested it in the package, but it charged up fine, and is still working as my night stand light.