Nitecore Tube

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think maybe the pink Tubes may be cursed. The following I cut from the LED Forum Tube thread entry that I posted a couple days ago. "I just tested one of my extra Tubes still in plastic, and it was dead [& pink}. I either got it last November with the initial release or last January, when I bought a few extra on sale. It charged up just fine, so we'll see if there was any long-term damage by it being discharged so low."

I have since tested another of my Tubes I bought at the same time, also still in plastic and black. It works fine. Based on my two point survey - don't buy a pink Tube! :D

rb765

Newly Enlightened
I just picked up three tubes for the family. Mine replaced a Photon Micro. I need to replace the stock key ring with a small fishing split ring and a clip, but it works good (for now) and looks good on my keys. The main thing is that it does not hang any lower than my keys so it will not hang below my key keeper.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
A NiteCore Tube has replaced a Photon ReX on my keychain. Curiously, the sound of it tapping the keys is different than the ReX, as it dangles from my belt. Kind of distracting actually; guess I'll get used to it, even though it has been some months now. Walking in a quiet area, I've been given to tucking the Tube under the belt, thus silencing the hollow, plasticky sound. It has performed well so far, though. When the light coming directly from the emitter to my eyes hampers vision, I just use my thumb as a block between eyes and emitter, making the tip of the thumb quite a translucent red.

rb765

Newly Enlightened
I just helped my wife put hers on her keyring and noticed hers came with two split rings. One was about 3/8" and one was about 3/4". My son's came with the same. I got ripped since mine only came with the 3/4". A quick trip to the hardware store should take care of it.

nbp

Flashaholic
Man, what happened to this thread?

Anyways, I accidentally ran my green Tube through the washer and dryer the other night. That's the first time I ever did that to a light! I was emptying the dryer and I saw a light on: the Tube. The port plug was out, but it was lit up and it didn't seem to have any problems in function at all. I'm guessing the plug stayed in through the washer and came out in the dryer. I didn't open its case but there didn't appear to be water inside, so hurrah! it still works! :)

akhyar

Enlightened
I bought one in blue colour while they were on sale for 6 bucks at Banggood.
At that kinda price, hard to find any better value light

el soluna

Newly Enlightened
How's nitecore's T360 compared to it? I like the new ways to play but it seems kinda decreases its handiness.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
How's nitecore's T360 compared to it? I like the new ways to play but it seems kinda decreases its handiness.

I purchased a T360 early on. We like it. My wife used it to install insulation in her mother's crawlspace. (I used a ZebraLight SC62d; both as headlamps). She asked to keep it as her primary light for reading at night and around the house. Then one of our friends who walks her dogs outside at night asked us for a reccomendation, my wife gave her the T360 with the option to return it if she wanted to try something else. We have not seen it since. She says it works fine. I told our friend to not let it get drained too much and charge it under supervision. We like the mini usb charging convenience. It is larger than the Tube, with presumably more capacity and longer runtime. The emitter is on the side of the unit, which helps avoid splashback. Worn on the head, I like to have the T360 in the verical position. It is able to be pointed in multiple directions. The switch configuration is better for preventing unintentional activations: it is a long hold for on/off, with a quick press to change modes. It is plenty of light for close-by work and actually a little closer to neutral in tint than either of our (on keychain) Tubes, though it is definitely on the cool side of neutral. I think I paid $20 at the nitecorestore. My wife has asked me to order another for her. Right now she has been provided a warm tinted DQG clicky AAA mounted to a headstrap. I wish NiteCore would specify how much mAh the battery holds on the T360.

I'm glad I purchased a Tube. It's the only light I've been able to actually attach to my key ring. I have a two or three other FourSeven lights that are key-ring-sized but they're just too nice for me to allow them to be ground upon by my keys. I dropped my keys and Tube the other day, but didn't even cuss. :)

~ Chance

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think maybe the pink Tubes may be cursed. The following I cut from the LED Forum Tube thread entry that I posted a couple days ago. "I just tested one of my extra Tubes still in plastic, and it was dead [& pink}. I either got it last November with the initial release or last January, when I bought a few extra on sale. It charged up just fine, so we'll see if there was any long-term damage by it being discharged so low."

I have since tested another of my Tubes I bought at the same time, also still in plastic and black. It works fine. Based on my two point survey - don't buy a pink Tube! :D
I have to admit that being dead apparently did no damage. I keep it beside my bed so I can look for my glasses when they fall off of the night stand, and it has been working well ever since I charged it up. Have no idea why it was dead in package, but it seems to be okay now. Maybe the pink ones aren't cursed after all.

BluesStringer

Newly Enlightened
I bought a Tube in March or April of this year (2015). I use it every single night at least once per night, mostly to get outta bed for either a late-night snack or to hit the john. Low gives me just enough light not to stub my toe against the foot of the bed as I navigate through a narrow pathway to the door. Once in the hall, kitchen or bathroom I can turn it up and never turn on any lights in the house before heading back to the bedroom. I hung it on a paracord ID-tag lanyard I had made for me that I haven't used since the only time I needed it, and it hangs on the headboard where I can reach it before even starting to get up. I actually bought the thing on a whim when I was ordering an Olight S30 for EDC. Since I got them, I've used the Tube more than the S30 I think.

I'm currently in the market for another aluminum or Ti keychain light that goes to maybe 120 or 130 lumens. Besides not being quite bright enough for the role I want the new light to fulfill, the Tube's exposed LED only works well for me while hanging off my neck and facing down. I need the keychain light for minor road-side emergencies or short periods outside at night, and it will actually be a keychain add-on. I always find myself looking away or having to squint when I get the Tube's exposed LED in my eyes, so it just wouldn't be very good in that role for me. Otherwise, it's a fine little piece that I'm glad I indulged my whim to buy.

Blues

bestellen

Newly Enlightened
I have one of these on my key chain. For the price it's a no-brainer for me. Nice and bright for a keychain light, it's lightweight and a nice simple action. It is wider than some others but it's a lower profile and is actually quite strong - it's taken a bit of abuse when I've dropped it and scraped it. I can charge it from my laptop at work, so I am very happy with it.

If I want a "better" light to carry, and I want it on my keychain, then I will use my Ti3 which is more useful when walking down country roads etc.

I really like it and would definitely recommend the Tube.

Last edited:

idleprocess

Flashaholic
My Tube has been retired from keychain duty - it simply self-discharges (through accidental activation) too frequently now. It's a design problem that could be remedied through some modest re-engineering if Nightcore were motivated - perhaps in another iteration.

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
My Tube has been retired from keychain duty - it simply self-discharges (through accidental activation) too frequently now. It's a design problem that could be remedied through some modest re-engineering if Nightcore were motivated - perhaps in another iteration.

Perhaps they'll issue a revised Tube with the UV's lockout feature.

I just LOVE my Tube, and I love gifting them!

- LetThereBeLight!