Niteye EYE-30 (3 x XM-L | 2/4 18650) Review

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Niteye EYE-30 Review

Very nicely done review, turboBB. Thank you for all the effort and insights. It seems to be a fairly substantial piece of engineering and I would strongly consider it were it not for the CCT of the LEDs. What would you estimate the color temp to be? About what I can tell is that these are likely around 5500-6000.

Wilkey

tjhabak

Enlightened
Very nicely done review, turboBB. Thank you for all the effort and insights. It seems to be a fairly substantial piece of engineering and I would strongly consider it were it not for the CCT of the LEDs. What would you estimate the color temp to be? About what I can tell is that these are likely around 5500-6000.

Wilkey

I just recieved my Eye30 yesterday. Overall, I really like it. The tint is my only real complaint. To my uneducated eye, my sample looks very cool. I'd guess the 7000-7500K range. I can live with it but if they ever release a warm or neutral version I will definitely have to upgrade.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just recieved my Eye30 yesterday. Overall, I really like it. The tint is my only real complaint. To my uneducated eye, my sample looks very cool. I'd guess the 7000-7500K range. I can live with it but if they ever release a warm or neutral version I will definitely have to upgrade.
Ouch. I hear you. Tint in that range is an absolute non-starter for me. My 40-something eyes are very averse to tints even above 5500K. Thanks for the feedback.

Wilkey

Patriot

Flashaholic

I think I read that this light is pulling 3.35A on turbo. Does this seem a bit low for a triple XM-L?

Thanks

yifu

Enlightened

I think I read that this light is pulling 3.35A on turbo. Does this seem a bit low for a triple XM-L?

Thanks
My DRY 3 XML reads around that as well, it's just the current the light pulls from each of the 18650 cells. Actual current going to each LED should be less than that, around 3A, which is pretty standard.

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thx Ginseng! Like thhabak's, the tint on my sample is definitely cool and I'd guesstimate around 6500K. I'll ask Niteye if they have any plans for neutral's.

@Patriot - There could also be some loss due to the wiring setup (as shown in reply 17 above) since this light doesn't exactly lend itself well to tailcap measurements. However, what's important is what that translates to in terms of output and thus far in my rudimentary lumens measurement contraption, I'm within % of the ANSI values cited by the mfg (2113 on turbo / 1114 on High). I'd be foolish to claim these readings are accurate but thus far based on the sample of measurements I've taken and with a few exceptions, each light has come within +/- 10% or so of claimed values. For relative comparisons, this has worked better than ceiling bounce measurements for me.

I am however planning a DIY IS build and will be posting that along w/values when done.

EDIT: The 2 cells charging completed yesterday and I continued the logging process and can confirm that the light will cotinue to draw a net 11mA (check charging section for full details) and thus drain the batteries. The resting voltage upon termination was 8.38V yesterday and has dropped to 8.19V today morning. I'll keep logging this to see if it'll reinitiate charge at some point.

Lesson here is to remove that charging cord ASAP when charging is complete.

Cheers,
Tim

Last edited:

Travelmate

Newly Enlightened

Hi!

2000 lumens is rated at the emitter or OTF? How's this as compared to TM11?

Thanks

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast

Niteye uses ANSI FL1 standard so that's the output measured OTF between 30 seconds and 2 minutes from initial turn on. The values I got were done after 30 seconds (again for comparitive purpose only).

Nitecore also uses ANSI FL1 standard.

ciccio90

Newly Enlightened

beautiful lights....the charger incorprated is secure fot the cells and all flashlight? can i recharge this niteyey with my solar panel of 20W these: http://cgi.ebay.it/20W-Folding-Sola...ltDomain_0&hash=item2eafeff4b8#ht_1703wt_1270 if the niteye is completely dependabilities ibuy it, i must use it in outdoor and trekking-hiking i must have 100& affidability! moreover i want so the tm11 but is less secure about electronic sytem....you confirm?

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast

Based on my sample, my personal opinion is that the charger is actually fairly decent and reasonably safe (of couse you'll still need to use your own discretion and always use quality protected cells). It adheres to a CC/CV charging algo and the termination current is actually below the draw from the LED charging indicator so will not continue to charge the batteries (and as a matter of fact, will start depleting it slowly upon completion).

As for the solar charger you referenced based on the specs (17V / 20W (or 1.18A)) it should work, however, those are likely under optimal conditions (full direct sunlight). Also, you need to keep in mind that it'll take roughly 7hrs to charge up four fully depleted cells (w/3100mAh capacity) so as long as you can ensure you'll have that much sunlight during the day, it should be fine.

Ciao,
Tim

ciccio90

Newly Enlightened

thank a lot for counsil....! however i can use not it direct on the flashlight but i connect to the solar panels my soshine sc-s1 mix and s1 max and i recharge 18650 :) bye!

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought I had replied to this on your original thread but if it helps put your mind at ease, I took my longest battery (68.3mm) and added a magent to the top for a total length of 69.9mm and it was a VERY tight fit but it did fit:

So provided your 18700's are EXACTLY 70mm in length, they SHOULD fit.

Perhaps others who actually have 18700's and have used it in the EYE30 can chime in.

Cheers,
Tim

Patriot

Flashaholic
I performed a ceiling bounce test in my 'integrating bathroom' to measure the relative output of the Eye-30 as compared to the other two popular tri-XM-Ls.

RRT-3 331 lux
TM-11 V2 322 lux
Eye-30 307 lux

Despite being slightly less bright I'm really enjoying this light and the handle attachment, which at first I thought I'd never use. It carries so much easier than the other two especially on longer walks. The throw is less than the RRT-3 but slightly better than the TM11.

Thanks for posting this review turboBB as it was the main reason I became interested in this light.

iron potato

Enlightened
Really liking the handle of eye-30, while rrt3 a bit bulky for me, then TM11 have some issue with thermal & battery compatibility... then again, TM15 & TM20 coming on the horizon... I still can't decide which one to pick, I want at least one multi emitter/ cells flashlight :shrug:
Btw, any outdoor beamshot between these 3 monsters ? :)

fonzerelli

Newly Enlightened
I am pretty happy with my Eye30. I got the Eye30 and eight Panasonic protected 3100 batteries/cells off an Ebay Vendor for $325 shipped!

iron potato

Enlightened
Actually was torn between RRT3, TM11 & EYE30, in the end, I went for EYE30,

1, Handle included, for the size & weight its great to hold it with handle (for me)

2, Straight forward mode change, but sometimes may switch to strobe if off it in a rush :duh2:

I powered with sets of Xtar 3100mAh or Hi-Max 2600mAh 18650, no problem so far.

Like it alot :devil:

FireStik

Newly Enlightened
How cool is the tint? Is the blue really that visible?

That's the only thing standing between me and the credit card....well that and my wife.

Latest posts