Niteye EYE-30 (3 x XM-L | 2/4 18650) Review

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Speaking for my sample only, the tint, while cool is not noticeably blue like on some lights. If anything, there is a light hint of green. I have the EYE30's shots here where you can compare against many other lights. The tint in those pics is pretty close to what I see in real life.

FireStik

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the response, TurboBB, I appreciate it. After looking at your beamshots, I'm a little less concerned. I hate angry blue but that doesnt look bad at all.

Soooooo close...

FireStik

Newly Enlightened
Just received my Eye-30 and LOVE it! The beam is close enough to neutral white that I have no issues with it. Even though I spent hours reading reviews and watching videos, it was smaller than I expected. It's an awesome light.

Thanks again TurboBB for your excellent review and additional info. It weighed heavily into my decision to go ahead with the purchase.

MontanaMan

Newly Enlightened
I have one of these in the tan finish, and was really enjoying the light. I found it to be a nice combination of flood and throw. However, the gasket I received is defective, and the light failed a water submersion test in my sink. I don't know if the head is supposed to be sealed, but the reflectors are filled with water. The entire head is filled with water, and yes, I had the plug cover properly in place. I believe part of the problem is that the gasket came without lubrication. That means it was screwed on at the factory, and screwed off by me, dry. I think the gasket got pinched. The defect is visible. Anyhow, I hope the vendor will be cool and work with me on this. I'd actually like to get the same light. I'll just be aware of this in the future, and visually check the gasket when I get the replacement. So make sure you lubricate the gasket when you put the batteries in because the light arrives dry.

I also found the light to get pretty hot when using the highest setting for more than a few minutes, but I had no problems with ring seizure, play in the handle, or battery rattling.

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yikes, that's unfortunate. :( Hopefully you'll get this all sorted. Let us know how it works out for you.

Cheers,
Tim

MontanaMan

Newly Enlightened
It was a bummer, but the vendor was super cool, and had the replacement before they even received the returned item! The gasket again seemed to be dry on arrival, but anticipating this, I slowly and gently unscrewed the body to load the batteries. I inspected the O-ring for damage, and it looked good. I then made sure I got a good amount of lube on the thing before I tightened things back down. The new light works great, though we will have to see if it survives the dunk test again. I depend on my lights to work, as do the people I might gift these items to. I can't send my buddy off into the Amur region to study Tigers and Amur Leopards with a light that isn't true to the IPX-8 rating it carries. Soooooo.... we shall see how things turn out!

Last edited:

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might know this already but just in case, be sure to grease the ID (inner diameter) of the o-ring as well. You'll want to reduce any chances of binding whatsoever and that is usually a culprit since most people would likely just grease around the OD of the o-ring.

Great to hear that your vendor was so accomodating, sounds like they deserve a Cheers-worthy thread over at CPFMP.

Tim

cyberdemon8

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the very detailed review turboBB!! I finally pulled the trigger on an Eye-30 thanks to your review. I wanted to ask if you ever did a measurement on the parasitic drain on the Eye-30 when it's turned off? The current draw you mentioned in the review is only for the led charging indicator while it is being charged right? (I would think that the magnetic control ring is electronic hence there'll be a stand-by drain while it is off?) Thanks!!

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thx and :welcome:

I just measured the standby current and it's 71.45µA (.07145mA) which is absolutely trivial. To put this into perspective, utilizing standard 2600mAh batteries and leaving the self-discharge out of the pic, it would equate to 4.15yrs on standby (2600/.07145 = 36389hrs/24 = 1516days/365 = 4.15yrs). Regardless though, as an extra safety precaution, I always lock out my lights when not in use and I'd recommend the same to anyone.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Tim

MontanaMan

Newly Enlightened
Thanks! I did lube the entire thing, and the upper threads. Things seem good so far, but only time can tell how these lights will perform over time. My EYE-40 SS should arrive today or monday.

MontanaMan

Newly Enlightened
Ha, what a cutey pie! Congrats on the EYE40 as well.

Thank you! I can't wait to see how it performs. I know there will be a lot of flood, but that is fine with me as long as the reach is close to what they claim (420m)!

xoomercom

Newly Enlightened
Amazon now has the RRT-3 XML with tactical switch, mounting ring and carry handle included for $289 out the door.

I think its better light in more conventional housing.

jcw122

Enlightened
Great review, thanks a bunch! I'm gonna be keeping my eye on this light. A lot of very cool features.

GehenSienachlinks

Newly Enlightened
turbo - I don't know if you know this but there is some hidden mode on the eye 30 , if u go from off to turbo , high , turbo , high , turbo you get 3 flashes .

There is also a battery check mode that I discovered , from off go strobe ,back to off and repeat two more times .

Last edited:

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thx. I was aware of the battery check but didn't know about the 3 flashes. Not sure what it does though... :shrug: