Niteye Zip 20?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Niteye is a dubious company anyway

I contacted them about some product a 8 months ago, and they gave half-arsed answers
and acted like idiots. at least the rep I was talking to didn't give a care

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
If you want to call it mob mentality, so be it. I call it integrity.
There is an utter lack of integrity when you attack one for association with another without examining the relationship. Craig should not have to suffer because of said 'mob mentality' and anyone with an iota of said integrity should have no problem making sure that they direct their ire in the right direction without unnecessary collateral damage.

crizyal

Enlightened
There is an utter lack of integrity when you attack one for association with another without examining the relationship. Craig should not have to suffer because of said 'mob mentality' and anyone with an iota of said integrity should have no problem making sure that they direct their ire in the right direction without unnecessary collateral damage.

Let's get this straight. I wasn't attacking anyone. It is obvious that Craig has been caused collateral damage because of the manufacture that he chose to represent. I am fairly sure that he will be distancing himself from Niteye.

jorgen

Enlightened
I would never buy a zip20. I completely agree that cloning the 007 was wrong thing to do. ~otoh, I have no plans to boycott a dealer that handles or has handled the other Niteye lights.
I am on the fence about purchasing other Niteye models. Going Gear has the eye15 and I really like everything about this 18650 version except this stigma.
I am a very happy owner of an Eye10, purchased when they first apeared and I would not think of dumping it.
The more i read of this thread, the more I become convinced that this has become a tempest in a teacup.

Glenn7

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know lights are close to our hearts and we want to protect these things (or are a bit sensitive about them) so I'm not trying to flame but I wonder if the shoe was on the other foot would we have the integrity to boycot/dump any of our smart phones that have pinch zoom to protect apple an American company, that has proven and won in court that Samsung and others have taken that patient among other patients?

:thinking:

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know lights are close to our hearts and we want to protect these things (or are a bit sensitive about them) so I'm not trying to flame but I wonder if the shoe was on the other foot would we have the integrity to boycot/dump any of our smart phones that have pinch zoom to protect apple an American company, that has proven and won in court that Samsung and others have taken that patient among other patients?

:thinking:

No, because Apple's not the "little guy" or the underdog.

Tall poppies will be taken down, even if they're in the right.

I agree with the sentiment that boycotting resellers because they carry Niteye products is the wrong way to go. Boycot the offending product, not the middle man.

That said, no one can accuse Niteye of copying someone else's design with the Eye-30. Feel free to buy one of them.

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Boycot the offending product, not the middle man.
end consumers' boycotting options are

1. boycot the product ZIP20-Ti only
  2. boycot the dealer who is so bold to sell the ZIP20-Ti
  3. boycot the whole Niteye product line but not the dealer himself
  4. boycot the dealer who carries any Niteye product
  5. boycot China because that's what Niteye is: Made In Chinese!!

Any other boycotting options known? :D
It's a matter of opinion, so i'd probably go with option 2 if i dont change my mind:
If a dealer supports the sales of the illegal ZIP20-Ti (because selfish him knows regular customers of his who would be interested in this item), he supports the wrong-doings of the immoral company and i cant endorse such an attitude.

Bad minded dealers in my eyes!!

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast

A few people are choosing to boycott other specific brands, such as Nitecore, Jetbeam, Klarus, Sunwayman, etc, because their names were mentioned in this thread for one reason or another as possibly being in some way tied to Niteye. :shrug:

GunnarGG

Enlightened

Boycot flashlights? :rolleyes:

About your point 4 above, for those who follow that I think that it is reasonable for dealers that don't want to continue sell Niteye to sell out what they have in stock already without being considered supporting Niteye.

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems these things are now available at an online "battery store" as well as fleabay.
It is a real shame.
Pricing from $350 to $469.

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems these things are now available at an online "battery store" as well as fleabay.
It is a real shame.
Pricing from $350 to $469.
Wow, that is sad to see. I know one website I won't be purchasing from anymore.

scout24

Flashaholic
After the hubbub this caused here, I was frankly surprised to see them carry it. Not like they already had a pile they purchased, and were stuck with. Seems like a new item for them to carry. I've done a LOT of business with them, living fairly close by. Not so much now...

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I replied on a different thread about this same light earlier today. I am not going to boycott said dealer because they are selling it - but it is in bad taste to do so and I hope they pull them.

It also worth noting, ... repeating ... , that this light is a piece of total junk. Bad blood aside, it's not worth more than maybe a $80 light. One of these lights made it's way to me a while back, through no fault of my own, and it is just plain awful. Nothing ergonomic about it in the same way that the original one is.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
After the hubbub this caused here, I was frankly surprised to see them carry it. Not like they already had a pile they purchased, and were stuck with. Seems like a new item for them to carry. I've done a LOT of business with them, living fairly close by. Not so much now...

I think I replied on a different thread about this same light earlier today. I am not going to boycott said dealer because they are selling it - but it is in bad taste to do so and I hope they pull them.

It also worth noting, ... repeating ... , that this light is a piece of total junk. Bad blood aside, it's not worth more than maybe a $80 light. One of these lights made it's way to me a while back, through no fault of my own, and it is just plain awful. Nothing ergonomic about it in the same way that the original one is.

SOYCD- you have a valid point, maybe I'll just call tomorrow to express my disappointment...

My 'boycott' per se was that I simply removed myself from their mailing list. Out of sight, out of mind. Like scout24 and SOYCD I have done a fair bit of business over the years, but not so much lately. I just won't go out of my way to shop there.

Interesting - I teach a couple of global business courses at the University of Alabama, and I just this semester talked (again) about intellectual property theft and used this very example (from the first time it came up.) Now it rears its ugly head again. Can't fault a small business for trying to make and grow their business, but with so many choices of quality lights out there it's unfortunate that this one was added to this dealer's offerings. And Sean, no surprise as it relates to your comments on the quality of the light. I'm betting that Niteeye is dumping their inventory.

LowFlux

Enlightened
I've opted out of said dealer's mailing list as well. So much for them claiming to be part of this community, it's all about the money with no scruples.

Status
Not open for further replies.