NIZN VERSUS NIMH

MarioJP

Enlightened
Slow charging will cause them to leak? isn't the charge suppose to stop once voltage hits 1.9?

Edit:

Looks like we have one bad review about these cells at Amazon

stars-1-0._V47060502_.gif
5 dead batteries after Wii and XBOX 360 usage, May 2, 2010
By Kristopher L. Gainey
carrot._V47081519_.gif
(Norfolk, VA)

This review is from: PowerGenix ZRPGX-AA8 AA 1.6v 2500 mWh ZiNc High-Voltage Rechargeable Batteries -8 Pack (Green) (Electronics)
I've already tossed 2 of these AA batteries and now have another 3 that refuse to charge and show ~0.4v on my multimeter...this just after about 5 uses in Wii and Xbox controllers. I bought them because they're made from less toxic materials but if they're not going to hold up...I may be switching back to NiMh soon.

Last edited:

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: charging NIZN AAs

The Amazon reviewer apparently bought the 8AA pack without the PowerGenix charger. I suspect he tried to charge them in a charger meant for nickel-metal hydride AAs. I have nothing but praise for my NiMH AAs. I now choose drop-ins whose voltage band lines up well with 1AA, 2AA, or 3AA NiMH output voltages. for this reason, I steer clear of drop-ins regulated from 3.6 to 4.2v; that range falls within the NiZn hole between 2AA (3.2V) and 3AA (4.8V).

Slow charging will cause them to leak? isn't the charge suppose to stop once voltage hits 1.9?

Edit:

Looks like we have one bad review about these cells at Amazon

stars-1-0._V47060502_.gif
5 dead batteries after Wii and XBOX 360 usage, May 2, 2010
By Kristopher L. Gainey
carrot._V47081519_.gif
(Norfolk, VA)

This review is from: PowerGenix ZRPGX-AA8 AA 1.6v 2500 mWh ZiNc High-Voltage Rechargeable Batteries -8 Pack (Green) (Electronics)
I've already tossed 2 of these AA batteries and now have another 3 that refuse to charge and show ~0.4v on my multimeter...this just after about 5 uses in Wii and Xbox controllers. I bought them because they're made from less toxic materials but if they're not going to hold up...I may be switching back to NiMh soon.

Bapman

Newly Enlightened
Hello, I'm a newbie

Anthony ,could you give more information (if available) about proper care and

maintenance of nizn batteries.

Thanks!

Ben.

MarioJP

Enlightened
Despite of the eneloops being the best nimh out on the market today. They simply can't compete when it comes to voltage. In some devices the voltage is too low to use nimh but at the same time offer more runtime than alkalines??. So they came out with a battery technology that solves both problems??.

I wonder if these cells will put a dent in NiMh. Pretty impressive for being the first generation of these cells. Just imagine second or even third generation?. Then what??.

when nimh cells first starting to come out they were crap. and the voltage problem was a big deal at that time too. Not so much these days since electronics can handle both chemistries.

I just wished this technology like these Ni-Zn cells could of came out loooooonnngg timmee agooo.

jcw122

Enlightened
For reference, I think I was told last summer by 4Sevens in an email, that their runtime ratings are based off 2500 mah NiHM batteries

MarioJP

Enlightened
I would have to say that Higher capacity Nimh are becoming a hassle to take care,yet you don't get much performance out of them. These cells in the other hand have lower capacity but with higher output voltage. I want to do some tests and do a comparison in devices that we use every.

I want to tests these cells in my mobile usb charger to see if the extra voltage can make a big difference versus higher capacity nimh cells. Learned that mistake to never buy nimh cells that are 2500+. You don't gain much out of them if any at all. (Though hope these ni-zn cells does not fry my charger my usb charger lol).

And I want to keep my eneloops as a backup. I ended up ordering ni-zn cells for 2 reasons. 1. I am realizing despite eneloops being 2000mAh. The charging performance drops dramatically when the voltage sag. I have to disconnect the phone from the charger to see how much power is left and apparently all 3 led lit up instantly but when I plug the phone back all 3 led lights go off and eventually you see 1 lit. This is telling me that the cells are not yet low but the voltage just drops too much. In the end that one led stays on for a while.

2.I want to see if higher voltage makes the charger perform better.

This is just weird. Unless of course the 3 led indicator is not accurate then that would make a lot of sense!.

Last edited: