Not a spotlight, but a great throwing flashlight.

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a little puzzled when I hear a request that a light can "throw" some particular distance. The light beam doesn't just go out some distance and stop -- it becomes weaker and weaker as the distance increases, but it keeps "throwing" its beam to just about any distance you choose. What you need to specify is just how bright you want it to be at the specified distance -- otherwise, you can't put a single number on "throw".

The best "throwing" single LED flashlight I have is an MRV with the emitter replaced by a Q5 bin Cree, running from 2-RCR123 Li-ion cells. I measured its main beam at just under 30,000 lux at one meter. (The actual measurement was made farther away and extrapolated.) This means that at 100 meters, it would illuminate objects with a brightness of 3 lux. According to Wikipedia, a full moon illuminates objects at about 0.25 lux. The MRV produces this much light at about 350 meters. Starlight is about 0.00005 lux; the MRV puts out this much illumination at about 25 km. So in theory at least, a person with dark-adapted eyes standing in starlight could detect that an object was brighter when you shine your light on it from 25 km (about 15 miles) away(*).

One rather arbitrary definition of "throw" is the distance at which the main beam illuminance is 1 lux. By that measure, the MRV "throw" is 173 meters. But this doesn't mean that you can light things up at 172 meters but not at 174, any more than any other arbitrary definition does. So how far does the MRV "throw"? 100 meters? 173? 350? 25,000? Take your pick. The answer is just about anything you'd like it to be.

(*)I'm sure there are practical limitations to this, such as additional attenuation due to particulates or moisture in the air. So in practice you probably wouldn't be able to detect the light shining from 15 miles away. But maybe you could from, say, 5.

c_c

Enzo Morocioli

Enlightened
My Ra Twisty 85Tr throws really well

Ratwistythrow.jpg

:kiss:

airtight_python

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions and great information. Since I'm not quite flashaholic enough just yet to drop $300+ on one the aspheric lenses are looking mighty good.

When I'm referring to throw, I'm suggesting the lights maximum usefull distance. It's not much use to me if it only illuminates the target with 0.25 lux. I couldn't pinpoint a useful lux rating... just enough that I can see the targets clearly with the naked eye given lux and distance.

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the suggestions and great information. Since I'm not quite flashaholic enough just yet to drop $300+ on one the aspheric lenses are looking mighty good.

When I'm referring to throw, I'm suggesting the lights maximum usefull distance. It's not much use to me if it only illuminates the target with 0.25 lux. I couldn't pinpoint a useful lux rating... just enough that I can see the targets clearly with the naked eye given lux and distance.
On how dark a night? Is the target dark or light colored? How much contrast between the target and background? How clear is "clearly"? With eyes which are how dark-adapted? I'm not an expert at this (and I'd sure appreciate comments by someone who is), but I'd guess that these factors can easily dictate a difference of a factor of more than 10, and perhaps 100 or more, which translates to a difference in "throw" by a factor of greater than three and maybe even 10 or more.

c_c

airtight_python

Newly Enlightened
I'm not an expert obviously and know really nothing about lighting relative to your expert minds. I won't go into the details or discuss options with each and every variable.

I can just say that I want to clearly see small to large critters (mainly) at the greatest feasible distance possible. I set that distance at 300 yards since here in TX; is a distance fairly easily achievable while nighting. Because of the open terrain, any closer and vermin spook. I've noticed that many of the animals freeze, or just don't care if they're lite up.

Critter color ranges from light brown on a brown backdrop to black on a green backdrop. If I can see a figure or an eye shining, I'm set. It will allow me to identify and stalk closer if necessary.

Latest posts