Object/Subject Review: Sunwayman T20CS

Frakymjay

Newly Enlightened
Hi, i am a novice SWM T20CS user. Had been running the light with 2x 16340 and enjoying Turbo, High, Mid and Low during my regular outing. Recently tried out 1x 16850 but only able to have all setting minus the Turbo.*

My understanding is that depressing the tail button will give out turbo and follow by press hold the front switch for alternate choices. Shining at the wall with 2x 16340, I am able to visual judge a total of 4 brightness when the turbo drop to high and accordingly. But with 16850, there is only three brightness output. When I pressed the tail switch to on, seem to me it will go high, mid to low...

Is there anything i'm missing? Dear all, any enlightenment greatly appreciated!

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast
My experience has been that when using an 18650, it is pretty hard to tell the difference between Turbo and High, and when the battery starts to get used up, there is no difference. I didn't think there was a turbo mode until I used my light box to make real measurements.

After measuring that the Turbo mode really is a higher output that High, I found that with a fresh 18650, I could see a visible drop in output when I switched from Turbo to High without turning the light off in between.

Because it's better regulated with 2x16340, I can always see a difference between Turbo and High using those batteries.
Sent from my mobile device. Please excuse brevity and typos.

Frakymjay

Newly Enlightened
Thanks a million for the very fast feedback, chief! It is especially assuring to have a Pro feedback! ;)

In that case, with Turbo as my main preference. Between 1x 18650 and 2x 16340, may I ask which is of a better alternative?

Helmut.G

Enlightened
If the difference between turbo and high matters to you, use two batteries.
If you want runtime, go with the 18650 as it has a much higher capacity.

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would really recommend 18650 either way. By the time the Turbo on an 18650 drops to match High, the 2x16340 will be pretty much dead.

Check the runtime graphs in the review to see what I mean. Imho, 2x16340 has very few advantages in this light.

Rokron

Newly Enlightened
I've played around with the 2x16340's and I agree with Bigmac 79 on using the 18650. The T20CS puts out plenty of light on high for me with a 18650 and I don't have to worry about the battery craping out. If I need more throw I'll fire up the TK35.

Vinniec5

Enlightened
Thx for the great review Bigmac79, I came across this by accident as I was looking for another Sunway review on the c20c. I wound up ordering both the T20cs and c20c as a compact thrower companion to my SF fury and V60C, The T20cs reminds me of a SF U2(I miss mine). I was going to get the SF Lawman to take on a trip with me but it isn't a thrower and batteryjunction(and others) were out of stock on the R1. guess I missed this coming out from Sunwayman, from your beamshots it should work great for me as i trying to travel light as possible and carry lights that can use all 18650s or CR123 batteries so I only have to carry one charger

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thx for the great review Bigmac79, I came across this by accident as I was looking for another Sunway review on the c20c. I wound up ordering both the T20cs and c20c as a compact thrower companion to my SF fury and V60C, The T20cs reminds me of a SF U2(I miss mine). I was going to get the SF Lawman to take on a trip with me but it isn't a thrower and batteryjunction(and others) were out of stock on the R1. guess I missed this coming out from Sunwayman, from your beamshots it should work great for me as i trying to travel light as possible and carry lights that can use all 18650s or CR123 batteries so I only have to carry one charger

Glad you appreciated the review! I actually have one in progress on the C20C as well, but it looks like you'll get to compare them for yourself :thumbsup: The T20CS is one of my favorite compact throwers. I'v also been pretty impressed on the throw with the C20C, the head is barely larger than the head of a V11/V10, but it's got a surprisingly good spot.

rustlerdudr987

Newly Enlightened
I Guess im a little confused does this light not perform (light output) as well while running on a 18650 vs. the cr123?

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast
I Guess im a little confused does this light not perform (light output) as well while running on a 18650 vs. the cr123?

It depends in what you're looking for. The CR123s maintained a slightly more constant brightness, but the 18650 had a much better run time overall.

Vinniec5

Enlightened
still waiting Bigmac, the C20C came and that's a nice portable light. nice throw for a small head but batteryjunction accidently sent me the T20C not the T20CS and I'm going away FRI too. I wanted to take it with me to use it. Hope me and BJ can fix this before I leave.

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast
still waiting Bigmac, the C20C came and that's a nice portable light. nice throw for a small head but batteryjunction accidently sent me the T20C not the T20CS and I'm going away FRI too. I wanted to take it with me to use it. Hope me and BJ can fix this before I leave.

Sorry to hear that, that's always disappointing. I can hear some intern getting lectured right now on the difference between the "T20C" and the "T20CS" :rolleyes:. I've had pretty good communication with BJ in the past, I wouldn't be surprised if they got the new one to you before the weekend, especially if you communicate the situation. Good luck!

Vinniec5

Enlightened
I'm not upset about it, I understand its a simple picking error. Batterj has always treated me fantastic and mattk on here has always gone out of his way for me getting parts and checking stock. I don't blame them mistakes happen, its just my luck though things like this always happen to me before I need to go somewhere or when i'm trying to do something:ohgeez:

problem handled by Nick in Cust service at BJ. I'm going to keep the T20C( i like it it reminds me of the SF C2 plus it has the stealth clicky switch) they are going to charge me for the T20C but send the T20CS i paid for on the original order so their inventory comes out right and i get the T20CS ASAP. the t20c fills the gap after i sold almost all my C2-G2-3s win-win all around. Nick even called me at home to fix it as fast as they could. can't ask for more than that

8/9/12 T20CS came today, what a great light!!! can't wait till tonite to test the throw outside but just a quick basement try and this looks like a winner. Reminds me of a U2 with a combat grip

Last edited:

Vinniec5

Enlightened
The T20CS should be called the chain saw, as this little monster saws right through the dark. Great balance of excellent throw with just enough spill to fill the area. Definitely glad I saw your review Bigmac. I personally like the two switches and the what I call Panic mode default on the rear button to Turbo with the battery gauge a needed bonus

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad to see you received and are enjoying your light :thumbsup:

Southpaw1925

Newly Enlightened
i got this flashlight 1 week ago. excelent flashlight, better than Olight M21X and Thrunite TN10.

I make some test outside, and i think so this flashlight will have a huge success.

i like how to change the intensity, it's easy, beautyfull smooth reflector, and last but not least it's a beautyfull flashlight. I love Sunwayman because they give a very good look for flashlight.

I'm undecided between the tn10 and t20cs. What do u like about the t20cs over the tn10?

gilson65

Newly Enlightened
just waiting for my swm t20cs to arrive was thinking about running keepower 3400mha in it very new to 18650 design torches and wondering will they be ok to run in it.Also any potential issues with the t20 cs some 12 mnths on. Thanks tony

tony_roti

Newly Enlightened
Hi Bigmac_79

Mine just arrived a few days ago. I bought it from dx based on your review and based on positive evaluations from other users. And because I wanted it so badly. It took forever to arrive but finally arrived (somewhere in Romania).:twothumbs

It came in a cardboard box that looks like in your photos and with the same accesories as you describe it, with a sticker on the side with the
model number and a few specs. But I got curious when I saw a second sticker with: Premium XM-L2 LED Higher Performance.
Sunwayman_T20CS_box.JPG

I looked at the light and indeed, the led is the new emiter from Cree XM-L2 instead of XM-L U2. The bin has two bonding wires, and the die has dots instead of lines. See the pics. From specs, the new emiter is 20% brighter than XM-L.

Very, very bright light on Turbo mode from a flashlight with 658 lumens output. I compared the light with XTAR B20 Pilot wich has XM-L U3
emiter and 1000 lumens output capabilities and both appear as bright (eye compared). Only color temperatures is different.
XM-L2_led_c.jpg

The picture with the new emiter is not mine because i wasn't able to produce a macro like this with my camera.:eek:

Excellent review by the way. Thanks for sharing with us.

Latest posts