Obtain High Drain 18650 Cells

MrAl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last thought. Check out the COMPARATOR[HKJ] Info that Chris gave you.

You will see that the 30Q beats the LGHG2 all the way through the various amp choices. 30Q has Less voltage sag from beginning, 0.2A to 20A.

Hello,

Sounds good, but that one site it looks like they discontinued the 30Q cell.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello,

This shouldn't be such a difficult decision. Pick a good cell, as have already been suggested, roll some pennies and buy a quad, then number them so you can keep track of things.

You'll probably be using the light infrequently on turbo mode, so don't worry about it too much.

I'd venture a guess that most monster lights on this board, sit unused for much of their lives. I know I've rarely taken mine outdoors, but I carry a flashlight everyday.

Chris

MrAl

Flashlight Enthusiast
This shouldn't be such a difficult decision. Pick a good cell, as have already been suggested, roll some pennies and buy a quad, then number them so you can keep track of things.

You'll probably be using the light infrequently on turbo mode, so don't worry about it too much.

I'd venture a guess that most monster lights on this board, sit unused for much of their lives. I know I've rarely taken mine outdoors, but I carry a flashlight everyday.

Chris

Hello,

You're right Chris, it's just that we kind of got to talking about it and people started to come up with some other products and i wasnt in a big hurry, plus i was hoping to get a lot in one cell like 30 Amps, button top, and protected, a combination that seems hard to find.
I've looked around too and noticed that the flat top cells are more common and that kind of bugs me because i wanted button tops.

Yes you are right again, i dont have to use the light that often either. Just when i go out at night. The garbage is in the back and it's very very dark back there and we get animals of all kinds back there so i like to see what i am walking into before i get there.

Right now i am using 30 ampere Sony's with flat top modified to have a little bit of a button top. That was a pain to do though as i had to watch out i did not short the cell because these are unprotected.

Not in a big hurry so some discussion is ok with me, but at some point i will buy and that wont be too long from now.

Thanks for all your ideas too.

Hello,

What site are you talking about? The link I gave you? Liionwholesale .com.

The BT'S are not discontinued. They are OUT OF STOCK and will be back in stock soon. I mentioned that in post #18.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello,

You're right Chris, it's just that we kind of got to talking about it and people started to come up with some other products and i wasnt in a big hurry, plus i was hoping to get a lot in one cell like 30 Amps, button top, and protected, a combination that seems hard to find.
I've looked around too and noticed that the flat top cells are more common and that kind of bugs me because i wanted button tops.

Yes you are right again, i dont have to use the light that often either. Just when i go out at night. The garbage is in the back and it's very very dark back there and we get animals of all kinds back there so i like to see what i am walking into before i get there.

Right now i am using 30 ampere Sony's with flat top modified to have a little bit of a button top. That was a pain to do though as i had to watch out i did not short the cell because these are unprotected.

Not in a big hurry so some discussion is ok with me, but at some point i will buy and that wont be too long from now.

Thanks for all your ideas too.

Not trying to sway you one way, or the other, but you're never going to get a protected cell of 'anything' that will do 30A. The best you can hope for in a protected cell, is 10A. The circuit breaker will trip at 10A and usually 8A if you're using a cell with an 8A breaker, which was more common.

Chris

MrAl

Flashlight Enthusiast
What site are you talking about? The link I gave you? Liionwholesale .com.

The BT'S are not discontinued. They are OUT OF STOCK and will be back in stock soon. I mentioned that in post #18.

Hi,

Yes you are right of course, i must have clicked on the one right next to it which is discontinued. Sorry about that.

MrAl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not trying to sway you one way, or the other, but you're never going to get a protected cell of 'anything' that will do 30A. The best you can hope for in a protected cell, is 10A. The circuit breaker will trip at 10A and usually 8A if you're using a cell with an 8A breaker, which was more common.

Chris

Hi,

Oh that's too bad. I guess then i'll just have to settle for unprotected.
I am always very careful with my cells anyway, in storage or in use or in charging.

MrAl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello again,

I also found that if i take the very back part of the light off, i might be able to use flat cells with an aasier to modify top part.
The only catch is that i have to take out two screws every time i change the batteries. The two screws release the board with the springs and then i can insert cells from the very back of the light, then replace the board and then the back screws on again. In this way the 'button' tops do not have to rub on anything while installing new cells so there is a more wiggle room for playing with different flat top modification techniques.
I would not mind having small springs on top.

MrAl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello again,

Thanks, i'll take another look now.

Interesting, it says "promotional product with limited quantities available".

Also interesting and i quote:
Important: Do NOT remove the clear wrap on the battery. This helps secure the button top and provides an additional level of protection to the entire battery.

I wonder how this second layer of plastic 'secures' the button top when they are supposed to be welded on.

Last edited:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello again,

Thanks, i'll take another look now.

Interesting, it says "promotional product with limited quantities available".

Also interesting and i quote:
Important: Do NOT remove the clear wrap on the battery. This helps secure the button top and provides an additional level of protection to the entire battery.

I wonder how this second layer of plastic 'secures' the button top when they are supposed to be welded on.

They didn't remove the Samsung pink wrapper, so they placed an insulating washer over the smaller button top that they added and then just secured it with the clear PVC wrapper.

People associate PINK with the 30Q. Removing the pink wrapper and starting at the ground floor, was probably more work.

You're investing a lot of time in these. Just pull the trigger and move onto the next crisis.

Chris

MrAl

Flashlight Enthusiast
They didn't remove the Samsung pink wrapper, so they placed an insulating washer over the smaller button top that they added and then just secured it with the clear PVC wrapper.

People associate PINK with the 30Q. Removing the pink wrapper and starting at the ground floor, was probably more work.

You're investing a lot of time in these. Just pull the trigger and move onto the next crisis.

Chris

Hi again Chris,

Thanks for the info. i like to get all the info i can on products so i know what i can use now and in the future.

If you think i've invested a lot of time in these, you dont know what my idea of time is like. After spending hours and hours discussing topics with scientists and engineers and wading through piles of data sheets over the past 40 or more years, this thread is a walk in the park...no i take that back, it's like a sit at a park bench in a park watching the ducks circulate around the small pond.

So what i am trying to say is, time is commensurate with the interest in the subject matter. My interest has been in electronics and general control engineering over the past decades so i have already invested more time than most people in this area and related. Batteries happen to have taken an upturn in the past few decades where battery powered devices are taking over and so they have becomes much more important than say in the 1970's where things were just getting started.

But if you still think i have invested a lot of time here, then take a look at my electronics circuit analysis course right here (somewhere) on CPF. That and the related thread went on for days without end. My goal was to teach anyone interested in electronics how to analyze circuits.

BTW, this is a discussion board, and people like to talk about their interests. I figured that was why people came to such places. It's like a coffee house for flashlight and electronics lovers.

Thanks again for the info. Every piece of info i can get in this area helps me in the future.

Last edited: