Olight M22 (XM-L2, 1x18650, 2xCR123A/RCR) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO + more!

coconutz

Newly Enlightened
Do you know if red/blue/green filters will be available? or is it possible to use other filters from Olight on the M22?

The m22 uses the same exact diffuser as the m21 flashlights. Unfortunately, they never made colored filters for the m21 series. Maybe if the demand grows for the m21 and 22 lights, they will start making them.:shrug:

ciccio90

Newly Enlightened
the m22 run with unprotected battery???? what you council between this and the eagletac tx25c2?

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
the m22 run with unprotected battery???? what you council between this and the eagletac tx25c2?
I never recommend unprotected batteries, but the M22 would be one of the better lights to use an unprotected 18650 in. The reason for this is that there is a clear drop-off in output as the battery drains - including an extended period at a low level. This will give you plenty of visual warning that it is time to charge the cell while still in a safe voltage for the cell.

This is in contrast to fully-regulated lights, where the unprotected battery voltage drops to unsafe levels almost immediately upon the initial drop in output. Basically, any light where you see the 18650 protection circuit kick in abrupty with no warning is a light you do NOT want to run unprotected cells in.

As for the Eagletac lights, I quite like both the TX25C2 and G25C2 (the latter uses a tail clicky, like the M22). I would choose between the three lights based on your preferred user interface.

ciccio90

Newly Enlightened
thanks a lot selfbuilt and if i compared the m22 with the new Armytek Viking v2.5 XM-L2 what you council????

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
thanks a lot selfbuilt and if i compared the m22 with the new Armytek Viking v2.5 XM-L2 what you council????
I haven't tested that model yet, but typically ArmyTek has a solid build, and the overall functionality of the two lights seems similar. I expect to review that light at some point, but I don't have a time line yet.

ciccio90

Newly Enlightened
ok i go to buy the m22!!!!!! i have so the m20 warrioi and i much love it

GotDogs

Newly Enlightened
Ciccio , buy the M22 you will not be sorry especially since you already own an Olight. They compliment each other. I got one two weeks ago and couldn't be happier.

aus_sparky

Newly Enlightened
Thank you Selfbuilt for the great comprehensive review. These type of reviews are very helpful, so much so that I have just ordered the M22. Looking forward to putting it through its paces. :)

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Where did you find it? I didn't know colored filters were made for the m21 series.
Yes, all the colored filters are available for the M22. The diameter size is the same as the M21X, so they still be labelled under that older numbering system (i.e., M21 filters are the same as M22 filters).

rcled

Newly Enlightened
To those that own the Olight M22, I have a couple of questions since I'm interested in purchasing one.

Is the head loosen/tighten for mode change time sensitive? Suppose the light is on and I loosen the head and leave it loose for several seconds or even minutes. When I tighten the head, will the mode change? How about if the light is on, I loosen the head and then turn the light off. The next time I turn it on and tighten, will the mode change?

Is it uncomfortable holding the light with the cigar ring installed in over/under hand position? It seems like the edges of the ring would dig into your palm (don't currently own any tactical lights). I know you can take the cigar ring off, but I don't like the idea of the exposed o-ring as a result.

Thanks

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the head loosen/tighten for mode change time sensitive?

No, the head loosen/tighten is not time sensitvie for mode change in my sample.

Suppose the light is on and I loosen the head and leave it loose for several seconds or even minutes. When I tighten the head, will the mode change?

Yes, you can change the mode for several seconds or even more than 2 minutes in my test.

How about if the light is on, I loosen the head and then turn the light off. The next time I turn it on and tighten, will the mode change?

Yes, you can change the mode as well even after changing the batteries.

Is it uncomfortable holding the light with the cigar ring installed in over/under hand position? It seems like the edges of the ring would dig into your palm (don't currently own any tactical lights). I know you can take the cigar ring off, but I don't like the idea of the exposed o-ring as a result.

Thanks

For me, I'm not uncomfortable holding the M22 with the ring installed. It has a just similar feeling to other lights with the grip ring installed.
S-15.jpg

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I concur with candle lamp ... my M22 behaves exactly the same way, and I find it comfortable to carry and use with the grip ring installed. :wave:

cbxer55

Enlightened
950 lumens in a two battery light? Cripies! To think I just bought the Quark Burst Mode QP2L-X for it's 780 lumens. Pretty soon well break the 1000 lumens for this style light. Don't know whether I should buy one or not. Decisions-decisions.

Jaegerbomb

Newly Enlightened
Ordered my M22 there last week based on all the reviews and info from the forums here... Should arrive this week and then the fun can begin.
Thanks everyone for the info and indepth reviews
-JB

rcled

Newly Enlightened
Thank you to candle lamp and selfbuilt for your replies! Order placed :cool:. I can't wait to receive the light.

Jaegerbomb

Newly Enlightened
So my M22 arrived today and I've done nothing but play with it since it arrived.

Very sunny out today so not ideal, but hopefully will get a lot darker tonight and I can go put it through the paces. :duh2:

I'm using a single 18650 at the moment and my work are going to pass me on some laptop batteries for me to disassemble also, so will have plenty of stock :thumbsup:

I'm loving the holster, very practical, sturdy and the second spare battery storage pocket (I'll only use one for a battery) will come in handy for tinder when I'm hiking. Cant say I have anything to fault yet, first impressions do matter, and the M22 has given a brilliant first impression.

-Steve

Latest posts