Olight M22 (XM-L2, 1x18650, 2xCR123A/RCR) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO + more!

kj2

Flashaholic
I'm using a single 18650 at the moment and my work are going to pass me on some laptop batteries for me to disassemble also, so will have plenty of stock :thumbsup:
-Steve
I strongly recommend to use quality 18650 batteries. Those things can be very dangerous. ;)

Col.Gideon

Newly Enlightened
My M22 arrived ca two weeks ago.

This is my first Olight flashlight. I am very happy with the whole package.

Love the overall look of the light.

Great mix of throw and flood. And the UI is great as well.

jwblack911

Newly Enlightened
well after reading one of selfbuilds amazing reviews i purchase my 3rd unnecessary light this week. i have been lurking for a few months now and finally decided to register just to thank you on these absolutely amazing reviews.

you really dont see these structured, in depth, and well formatted reviews. after reading about half of the reviews you have been kind enough to share with us you have taken a few lights off my list and added many more. thanks again!

Zach

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
well after reading one of selfbuilds amazing reviews i purchase my 3rd unnecessary light this week. i have been lurking for a few months now and finally decided to register just to thank you on these absolutely amazing reviews.
you really dont see these structured, in depth, and well formatted reviews. after reading about half of the reviews you have been kind enough to share with us you have taken a few lights off my list and added many more. thanks again!
Thanks, appreciate the support. And :welcome:

I'm glad to hear that I have helped remove lights from your list. There is a certainly a lot of lights out there, so I am always glad to hear when a review has helped narrow things down.

holylight

Enlightened
Olight M22 (XM-L2, 1x18650, 2xCR123A/RCR) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO ...

Is the tint greenish at low mode like s20? I gave someone the s20 :D

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Re: Olight M22 (XM-L2, 1x18650, 2xCR123A/RCR) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO ...

Is the tint greenish at low mode like s20? I gave someone the s20 :D
I didn't notice anything specific.

Note that all current-controlled lights get "warmer" tinted as you go to lower drive currents/output levels (i.e., green-yellowish). This is unavoidable with current LED tech. The original S10 and S20 were particularly affected by this, for some reason. I (and others) confirmed that part of it was due to the heavy anti-glare coating on those lights. I have not noticed that level of AR coating on subsequent Olight models (including the M22).

Pinvin78

Newly Enlightened
It is joy to read all those reviews and experiences here, I'm planning to order a M22 in a week. The robust designe, the massive fins looks great on the pictures.
Is it true, that the clip is quite useless, due to the shape?
With an appropriate bycicle holder, is it possible to use this light during night riding? I mean, when I first tried my quality lights (LL F1, S10), I was suprised, too much / intense/ focused light how bothering can be... for myself, and for others. Maybe the diffuser is advised in this case? I am yet to use a diffuser, obviously. Or the carefullangle and position of the mount can prevent the people I encouter from getting blind?:)

kj2

Flashaholic
It is joy to read all those reviews and experiences here, I'm planning to order a M22 in a week. The robust designe, the massive fins looks great on the pictures.
Is it true, that the clip is quite useless, due to the shape?
I find the clip very useless. It so tight to the battery-tube, that I can't clip it on anything. Yes, you can remove the clip, but than the tactical-ring has some play to it.

LAMPARITA

Enlightened
Does the M20 Warrior CR123A battery magazine compactible with the M22 Warrior?... or should actually fit in just about any light that works on 2 CR123s?
Same question goes for the M20 rear anodized ring cover, will it fit the M22?

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Does the M20 Warrior CR123A battery magazine compactible with the M22 Warrior?... or should actually fit in just about any light that works on 2 CR123s?
Same question goes for the M20 rear anodized ring cover, will it fit the M22?
I haven't tried exchanging grip rings (if that's what you are referring to), but the CR123A magazine should fit and work in any light that takes 18650-size cells.

Pinvin78

Newly Enlightened
I tried to use this beautiful light with 2x3.0V lipo batteries, it works, except the fact, that the highest output shuts down after approx. three seconds... is this normal? This kind of batteries ar simply too weak? Another pair of the same type behaves the same, still, middle output and a S20 works as is should with them. I will try the m22 with 2 life tenergy 3.0V next week.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I tried to use this beautiful light with 2x3.0V lipo batteries, it works, except the fact, that the highest output shuts down after approx. three seconds... is this normal? This kind of batteries ar simply too weak? Another pair of the same type behaves the same, still, middle output and a S20 works as is should with them. I will try the m22 with 2 life tenergy 3.0V next week.
Sounds like it could be the batteries, hard to know without anything else to compare in your M22. I would recommend 18650 for this light, or standard 3.7V Li-ion.

Pinvin78

Newly Enlightened
2xTenergy "900"mAh 3.0V (the blue cell) RCR seems to feed my M22 properly, unlike the 2xCytac 3.0V:) No turn off on highest output.

Solis107

Newly Enlightened
So what 18650 mah will be good for this light? Ive seen 2100, 2600, 2900... Looking for a great rechargeable setup with charging port. Any ideas?

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
So what 18650 mah will be good for this light? Ive seen 2100, 2600, 2900... Looking for a great rechargeable setup with charging port. Any ideas?
Any 18650 battery would do fine - I just recommend sticking with an established brand name (and staying away from anything with a xxxxfire in its name). Check out the electronics/battery subforum for reviews and recommendations for different Li-ion brands. Same goes for chargers - there are a number of good reviews in that forum (in particular, check out HKJ's work).

LAMPARITA

Enlightened
Finally found a website to purchase the polished bezel for my M22 now I just need to find out who sells the 'cigar grip' replacement ring.

Last edited:

jerkeejoe

Newly Enlightened
Got my M22 a few days ago and got to play with it outside a bunch tonight. I love it.

I played with it side by side with my Klarus XT11 XM-L2 and a Crelant 7G5v2 that I really like. I have been carrying the XT11 in my computer bag every day for the past couple months and have been very happy with it. However, after comparing it side by side with the M22, I will replace the XT11 in my bag with the M22.

The main deciding factor for me is the beam profile of the M22. It throws really well for a smallish light, but has generous spill also. I also really like the UI. In my experience, with this type light, I tend to use either low or high. So, I simply set the memory for the light to come on in low, but can easily and quickly access the high with a double press of the switch. This is nearly perfect for me and is something the I always gripe about with the XT11 (no memory or option to come on in low with the XT11).

In the end, if you are in the market for a single 18650 multi-purpose light, I highly recommend the M22. I got mine for $70 brand new with all accessories and would buy it again in a heartbeat.