Olight M30 Triton (new and first pictures

zioparr

Newly Enlightened
I watch the movie.
I stated that M30 is not a dedicated thrower, it's more like a flooder.
But as a every day use light.( I like it when it lit the room)

can any one help me pick which torch is for dedicated thrower?
is TK40 or M1X good?

thanks before.

Last edited:

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
...I think, BTW, that they had to use PWM to provide the very low low that CPF likes to have so much because CC drivers cannot have such broad input/output variability.

...Regarding efficiency, PWM is very efficient. I think most people aren't aware of this but pretty much all types of real regulation use PWM to some extent because it is such an effective, efficient method.
Matt, you have no idea what you're talking about. Let correct what you think

1. There are plenty of examples of CC drivers that can drive as low or even lower. There's one in the works that does 1ma and will power lights for over a month easily.

2. PWM is NOT very efficient. PWM is only as efficient as the 100% cycle. Of the entire driving current range, the MOST inefficient is the maximum driving power. So even though your PWM is at say 1%, your efficiency is at best as efficient the highest driving range.

Example: an LED driven at 25ma achieves 150 lumens per watt. The same LED driven at 1000ma is 70 lumens per watt. If you drive a light at 1000ma and 100% or 1% PWM, the efficiency remains at 70 lumens per watt.

In fact, it's less efficiency than 100% due to switching losses. Imagine
if you drive a car by only flooring the throttle and completely letting off the throttle. You can modulate the throttle and acheve the speed you want but your miles per gallon is going to STINK.

You know what I think?

You're just justifying PWM because it's a product that you sell.
Come to think of it, those two points I quoted you contradict themselves.

:party:

Last edited:

easilyled

Flashaholic
Matt, you have no idea what you're talking about. Let correct what you think

1. There are plenty of examples of CC drivers that can drive as low or even lower. There's one in the works that does 1ma and will power lights for over a month easily.

2. PWM is NOT very efficient. PWM is only as efficient as the 100% cycle. Of the entire driving current range, the MOST inefficient is the maximum driving power. So even though your PWM is at say 1%, your efficiency is at best as efficient the highest driving range.

Example: an LED driven at 25ma achieves 150 lumens per watt. The same LED driven at 1000ma is 70 lumens per watt. If you drive a light at 1000ma and 100% or 1% PWM, the efficiency remains at 70 lumens per watt.

In fact, it's less efficiency than 100% due to switching losses. Imagine
if you drive a car by only flooring the throttle and completely letting off the throttle. You can modulate the throttle and acheve the speed you want but your miles per gallon is going to STINK.

You know what I think?

You're just justifying PWM because it's a product that you sell.
Come to think of it, those two points I quoted you contradict themselves.

:party:

David, with all due respect, I've no doubt that your facts about PWM are correct, but I don't remember you pointing them out with such relish in the past when your Sales Threads were also for lights with PWM like the Fenix L0D and the P1D, for example.

Its only natural for Dealers to defend/hype their products and I don't think you have ever been immune from that.

Its also up to us CPFers to realize when there's a vested interest and to do our own independent research.

Last edited:

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
David, with all due respect, I've no doubt that your facts about PWM are correct, but I don't remember you pointing them out with such relish in the past when your Sales Threads were also for lights with PWM like the Fenix L0D and the P1D, for example.

Its only natural for Dealers to defend/hype their products and I don't think you have ever been immune from that.

Its also up to us CPFers to realize when there's a vested interest and to do our own independent research.
Actually I have been known to post AGAINST products that I sell - see my post history - this case included (yes I carry the m30 as well)

My interest is in disseminating the truth so people can decide for themselves. If there is something that's not true don't you think it should be pointed out? People can be easily-mis-led!

By the way, yes l0d is pwm but the p1d has always been constant current.

Last edited:

easilyled

Flashaholic
Actually I have been known to post AGAINST products that I sell - see my post history - this case included (yes I carry the m30 as well)

My interest is in disseminating the truth so people can decide for themselves. If there is something that's not true don't you think it should be pointed out? People can be easily-mis-led!

By the way, yes l0d is pwm but the p1d has always been constant current.

I'm all for getting at the truth as you've probably seen from numerous posts of mine.

Whether I actually achieve that or not is probably very questionable. :)

I'm also very interested in what motivates people to write certain things because sometimes there's a broader truth in that too.

Perhaps you carry the M30, but perhaps you have higher stakes in the Fenix TK40 and the Eagletacs M2 and M2X.

Last edited:

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm all for getting at the truth as you've probably seen from numerous posts of mine.

Whether I actually achieve that or not is probably very questionable. :)

I'm also very interested in what motivates people to write certain things because sometimes there's a broader truth in that too.

Perhaps you carry the M30, but perhaps you have higher stakes in the Fenix TK40 and the Eagletacs M2 and M2X.
The tk40 has serious issues due to it's use of aa batteries due to the possibility of reverse charging a weaker cell. The m2 is head heavy and cumbersome. I'm just telling you the truth.

Pwm is pwm. Cc is cc. Facts need to be straight before people can make an educated choice.

easilyled

Flashaholic
The tk40 has serious issues due to it's use of aa batteries due to the possibility of reverse charging a weaker cell. The m2 is head heavy and cumbersome. I'm just telling you the truth.

Pwm is pwm. Cc is cc. Facts need to be straight before people can make an educated choice.

Ok, you sound convincing enough. :nana:

It seems to me that each of the quad-die mass produced lights have pros and cons and that there's no clear winner or loser.

Its really depends on what set of pros and cons present the most favorable combination for the user.

1dash1

Enlightened
Ok, you sound convincing enough. :nana:

It seems to me that each of the quad-die mass produced lights have pros and cons and that there's no clear winner or loser.

Its really depends on what set of pros and cons present the most favorable combination for the user.

Well, I think the last few posts highlight the fact that it's often not what we say, but how we say it that triggers a response.

Sort of like tint. Depending on what you were just exposed to, it might look blue, or green, or yellow. The truth of what it was remained constant, but our perception differs substantially.

:)

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I think the last few posts highlight the fact that it's often not what we say, but how we say it that triggers a response.

Sort of like tint. Depending on what you were just exposed to, it might look blue, or green, or yellow. The truth of what it was remained constant, but our perception differs substantially.

:)
Ok, I admit I came on strong and I assumed that Matt knew otherwise and intentionally misled people. I do not know that and I apologize. I should have assumed the better and just stated the facts and stopped there.

However, I am still upset. A co-worker of mine just emailed me - he lurks here silently and reads everything too.... I'm going to quote what he said....

"People just need to be upfront and honest. It's one thing for an 'everyday' CPFer to post misinformation. It's another thing for a distributor - and official CPF source and supporter - to post misinformation.

Whereas the 'everyday' CPFer posts from perspective, MattK posts from authority. Whether we believe him or know better is beside the point - with authority comes responsibility. He knows better than that."

I think that sums up my exactly thoughts.... :)

ergotelis

Enlightened
I just received mine.
With a few words:

Pos:
Powerfull
floody huge hotspot
Nice design and UI
Compact-lightweight
Very low mode
No donut at all!(at least on mine!)

Neg:
PWM is really BAD!Even on medium easily noticeable!I can notice it easily though it might not affect in using the light!
Not a thrower, tested and achieves 10.000lux at 1m.

Overall i am really happy with my purchase, you can't have it all. It is very difficult to make a thrower in that size and i knew it, so it is not for me negative, it is common sense. BUT PWM is something that they could have avoided!The only real negative for this light!

I am gonna make some waterproofness test. If it fails then i would be really sad.

Ryanrpm

Enlightened
I watch the movie.
I stated that M30 is not a dedicated thrower, it's more like a flooder.
But as a every day use light.( I like it when it lit the room)

can any one help me pick which torch is for dedicated thrower?
is TK40 or M1X good?

thanks before.

For dedicated thrower:

TK40 - no.

M1X - Yes.

Sunlite 16w - YES

M2X - YES

wapkil

Enlightened

Thank you for your corrections and explanations but I think that there are a few more things to consider. I hate it when the PWM is visible and I generally prefer non-PWM lights but I believe that to make an educated choice one has to look at much more than the simple fact that the LEDs are less efficient when driven with high current.

If I remember correctly, power LEDs when driven with low current (<5mA?) also become inefficient. I think that if instead of driving the Quark with CC 1mA you used 20mA with PWM 5% duty cycle, you'd have a higher LED efficiency :nana:

The LED is only part of the picture. The battery probably will be able to give more energy when driven with lower current (so CC would win here) but the driver circuit may be much more efficient with currents higher than 1mA (so it would prefer PWM).

When speaking about months of runtime, I think that the ultimate efficiency may be not the most important. Other things like the flickering (easily eliminated with higher PWM frequency) or the cost of a light with a more complicated circuit (e.g with both CC and PWM for better overall efficiency) may may have a higher influence on the buyer decision.

Edog006

Newly Enlightened
Well sorry to interject in a very physics/electronics oriented discussion my background is in the natural sciences, so I cannot comment with any accuracy about current voltage and LED efficiency (ohms law etc..) other than in general terms. However, my only question is why use PVM ever, if it is seemingly not efficient and annoying as hell to some people? Personally I dont notice unless I shake the M30 back and forth rapidly. Thanks in advance, enginers, physicists, and mechanically inclined individuals.

mmajunkie

Newly Enlightened
For the life of me I can't notice the PVM, and everybody I recruited to see if they could said they see nothing but light.

The one problem I do have is the light only working with AW 18650's. With Tenergy 18650's it won't work, but with Tenergy Rc123 it works perfect.

Anybody else have this problem or an Idea as to why it is?

Last edited:

bser

Newly Enlightened
considering an upgrade from an m20 to an m30 can anyone with both post comparitive beamshots?