Olight S10-L2 (S10 2013, XM-L2, 1xCR123A/RCR) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO+

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
thanks SB. about 1hr40 then ish. would you off the top of your head know of a light that dosnt use 100% brightness on strobe ?
It is not something that I have ever set out to measure, but I have on occasion noticed a few strobes that don't seem to be full power. Can't think of a specific light off hand - if you do a search here, you may find some examples.

Note also that most strobes are indeed 50:50 pulses, but some are not (especially among the really high frequency ones). The S10 is definitely 50:50.

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is not something that I have ever set out to measure, but I have on occasion noticed a few strobes that don't seem to be full power. Can't think of a specific light off hand - if you do a search here, you may find some examples.

Note also that most strobes are indeed 50:50 pulses, but some are not (especially among the really high frequency ones). The S10 is definitely 50:50.

thanks yeah my ex11 strobe is REALLY juicy !

spark001uk

Newly Enlightened
Quick question: S10 on full whack draws ~960mA according to a review I read. In contrast the Trustfire mini-02 with the same battery and emitter draws over 2A. Am I correct to assume this limiting in the Olight was done to balance brightness with runtime?

Capolini

Banned
Thanks SB for the very informative and thorough review!! Also thanks to the people who posted! ;)

I am glad to see that people really like this mini torch!! I will be getting mine on Monday! :thumbsup:

I got the Nitecore SENS CR first, before I noticed/evaluated the S10! The sens is a "Novelty" and a neat little light. However, I have a feeling I will like this S10 more! It has a bit more than twice the output.

All of the sudden I will have Three[3] Olights! M22, M3X and S10[L2] on Monday!

spark001uk

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know what bin the L2 used in this model is?? (From what data I can find I would guess about a T6 or U2?)

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Does anyone know what bin the L2 used in this model is?? (From what data I can find I would guess about a T6 or U2?)
Olight doesn't usually disclose output bin info (in fact, they may not even purchase defined bins). If defined bins are sued, I would presume a T6 is most likely, but U2 is possible.

spark001uk

Newly Enlightened
Ok thanks for the info. Would you happen to have carried out any running current measurements on this light at all?

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also own this light, and did some current measurements on it. Posted results in this other thread on the S10-L2.

Not with 'scientific rigor' of course, :D but should give a pretty good idea. Also note I have no idea whatsoever about variation between specimens. So YMMV (as usual) ... In practice, lumens output + actual power draw on "high" (ehm, turbo :sssh: ) mode very much depends on the properties of the battery used.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Also own this light, and did some current measurements on it.
Thanks for the post, and the qualifications (in both locations). I'm glad to see you covered a number of important points, in regards to the challenges of doing accurate current draws. I no longer report them - having only entry-to-mid range DMMs and cables, I've determined that the resistance is high enough to alter output significantly (i.e., I can simultaneously measure both), and variation between samples can be quite high (when I know actual runtime isn't). :shrug:

In any case, I'm not quite clear why people want these where full output/runtime graphs exist :thinking: Certainly, without a full time course (which I see you took some pains to do, at least until step-down), it is likely to be very misleading. If people are looking to use initial tailcap current readings to try and predict runtime performance compared to other lights, they are in for some nasty surprises. Which is again why I appreciate the clarity of your posts.

Capolini

Banned
It is a great little torch. UI is simple. It has amazing output for such a little guy! I love the fact that it can take rechargeable batteries. That was a huge part in my decision to get it.

The only thing I do not prefer is the "Yellowish" tint. Most of my torches are Cool White.

spark001uk

Newly Enlightened
Tell me about it, mine arrived this morning from HK. Went outside and turned it on and I had a two word reaction, and the second word was "ME" !!

Capolini

Banned
Tell me about it, mine arrived this morning from HK. Went outside and turned it on and I had a two word reaction, and the second word was "ME" !!
So what is the first word??!!! Hope it was a positive reaction! Not ,,,,

I like the little torch[I have the new L2 version],,,,,,,,,,,I just wish they would have kept the "Low battery/voltage indicator! Mine shut off a few times and now I am vigilant about checking it on the voltage meter every 15 minutes or so of use!

Oh ya,,I forgot the Yellowish tint" already!!

Overall I am glad I have it!!

It is dark!! Olight M3X tonight with M22 as backup and the Siberian keeping the Squirrel and Deer population under control!!!

Last edited:

spark001uk

Newly Enlightened
What cells are people using in these? I put a new fully charged ultrafire 880mah in and after about 10mins of light it was down at 2.7v! Half expected it to be honest. So I'm open to recommendations on something better? (and good value for money hopefully!)

I'll keep the WF-138 charger as I gather from what I've read it's not too bad. Shame about their batteries though.

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
What cells are people using in these? I put a new fully charged ultrafire 880mah in and after about 10mins of light it was down at 2.7v!
I'll keep the WF-138 charger as I gather from what I've read it's not too bad. Shame about their batteries though.
The Ultrafire charger is fine, but Ultrafire-brand rechargeable cells should be avoided - they typically don't meet stated specs, and often do not hold their charge.

I use AW RCRs exclusively, but other "name" brands (including known light manufacturers) should be fine. Check out the electronics/battery forum here for reviews and discussions on this topic.

Capolini

Banned
What cells are people using in these? I put a new fully charged ultrafire 880mah in and after about 10mins of light it was down at 2.7v! Half expected it to be honest. So I'm open to recommendations on something better? (and good value for money hopefully!)

The Nitecore NL166 also works. Flashlion told me about it. That is the one I am using.

Some of the RCR[16340] do not fit!! One of them is the "KeepPower 700 Mah ICR 16340.

Now you have Two for certain that work!

The AW RCR that SB mentioned and Nitecore NL166- 16340.

The problem with these batteries is that the "Specifications" in regard to L x W are not mentioned too often like the 18650 are. HKJ does mention all the specs. for about a half dozen or so of the 16340 on his website.

Here is his website:
http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/CommonSmallSummary UK.html

Last edited: