Olight S20-L2 (S20 2013, XM-L2, 1x18650 2xCR123A/RCR) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS+

tallboybass

Newly Enlightened
I love my older S10 so much, I had to get this one too. It's noticeably brighter and runs for nearly 3 hours on High...YES!! The switch is much easier to operate too. I'm sorry but the blue switch on the new S10 & S15 does NOT work for me! :)

TSD

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for another great review selfbuilt. I'm taking a close look at the S20 L2 and S15 L2 for one of my next lights, and I am trying to compare the max output of the S15 L2 on 2xAA to the sustained high output of the S20 L2 post initial drop off. Am I in the ballpark by estimating from your chart that the S20 L2 high output holds steady around 430ish lumens after the initial high ramp down? I am wondering how noticeable the difference between the highs of the S20 and S15 would be to the eye after the S20 ramps down. Thanks!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I am trying to compare the max output of the S15 L2 on 2xAA to the sustained high output of the S20 L2 post initial drop off. Am I in the ballpark by estimating from your chart that the S20 L2 high output holds steady around 430ish lumens after the initial high ramp down? I am wondering how noticeable the difference between the highs of the S20 and S15 would be to the eye after the S20 ramps down. Thanks!
Well, my S20 drops down to a constant ~440 estimated lumens on Hi (after the initial step-down). The S15 on 2xAA (NiMH) give you more like a constant ~360 estimated lumens from the get go.

In practice, you won't find this all that different, given that we peceive light intensity according to a (roughly) cube root. So while the S20 steady state is technically >20% brighter than the S15, it will only seem like <10% brighter.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
The flashlight weighs only 47.5 grams after swapping out the magnet!

Protected Panasonic 3400mA*h cells do not fit...

Last edited:

Capolini

Banned

Thank you fellow Pennsylvanian! I was wondering about that. I have several spare 3400 mAh Panasonic cells. Just in case[now verified by you!!] I ordered an Eagletac 2500 mAh that Going Gear confirmed that it fits!

Olight seems to be the leader in my collection now over Fenix! M3X. M22, S20[L2] on the way and the S10[L2]! :)

I have a confession!! I am a type "A", addictive personality with light # 21 on the way in One[1] year and Nine[9] days of my Addiction,,I mean Hobby!!!:eek::shakehead

Last edited:

NorthernStar

Enlightened

I am running my S20-L2 with a XTAR 3400mAh battery(which is a protected Panasonic cell) and it fits, but it´s with a very small marginal. The tube on the S20-L2 is tight.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
All ... 3400 mAh Panasonic cells also work.

As an update, I checked more Pro-Pan-3400 cells that I own. Only one slides in freely, the rest drag along the wall while starting. I don't shove them in because I am concerned that the Kapton tape would be scratched off the foil wire causing a short or the cell might get jammed in.

I have a hunch they might fit better if I remove the label inside the tube which indicates the cell (+) goes down.

I am using mine with a Nitecore HB02 headband for running, replacing my Jetbeam Cycler ST. This is why I love the small size and weight. Removing the clip saves some weight too I suppose.

Capolini

Banned
As an update, I checked more Pro-Pan-3400 cells that I own. Only one slides in freely, the rest drag along the wall while starting. I don't shove them in because I am concerned that the Kapton tape would be scratched off the foil wire causing a short or the cell might get jammed in.

I have a hunch they might fit better if I remove the label inside the tube which indicates the cell (+) goes down.

I am using mine with a Nitecore HB02 headband for running, replacing my Jetbeam Cycler ST. This is why I love the small size and weight. Removing the clip saves some weight too I suppose.

You did NOT read my entire post[One sentence]!

When you "Quoted" me you removed the word "Eagletac" and a few other "key" words of mine to customize your own sentence!!!???

I specified "Eagletac" in regards to the Panasonic cells that WORK in the S20[L2]! :)

Last edited:

Capolini

Banned
Lets SIMPLIFY things here!!

These Three[3] 18650 cells have been CONFIRMED to work in the S20[L2]

1. Selfbuilts AW Protected 2200 mAh cells.
2. NorthernStar used Xtar Protected Panasonic 3400 mAh cells.
3.[ME] Eagletac Protected Panasonic 2500 mAh cells. [68mm X 18.5MM +/- 0.1mm]

According to Eagletacs website their Genuine Panasonic Protected 3100 mAh and 3400 mAh cells are the same SIZE[DIAMETER/LENGTH] as the 2500 mAh cells. They should also work! My dealer was out of the 3100 and 3400. I Had to get 2500 by default!!

I can not confirm of any other 18650 cells that would work, other than "Flat tops" which I never use.

Last edited:

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
You did NOT read my entire post[One sentence]!

When you "Quoted" me you removed the word "Eagletac" and a few other "key" words of mine to customize your own sentence!!!???

I specified "Eagletac" in regards to the Panasonic cells that WORK in the S20[L2]! :)

I only meant to shorten the quote to what I was specifically replying to (Panasonic protected 3400mA*h cells). I did not intend to change the meaning. Sorry. :sigh:

Perhaps there are different flavors of Protected Panasonic cells. Mine were purchased from wallbuys and fasttech. They have the green wrapper with orange stripe up the side. These are the ones that are too tight in my opinion.

Capolini

Banned
I only meant to shorten the quote to what I was specifically replying to (Panasonic protected 3400mA*h cells). I did not intend to change the meaning. Sorry. :sigh:

Perhaps there are different flavors of Protected Panasonic cells. Mine were purchased from wallbuys and fasttech. They have the green wrapper with orange stripe up the side. These are the ones that are too tight in my opinion.

I will forgive you this time! ;) Next time you will have to deal with "Capo" "My Siberian",,,,he is in the mob!!:eek:

Your cells are probably about $8 to $10 a piece and have NCR18650B on them with that "Orange stripe". I bought a few on Ebay. They are close to 70mm and thicker[diameter] than most 18650 cells. I have an Olight M22 and this cell barely fits in it.

Panasonic Cells are just that. They are "Cells". Good ones at that!

Numerous[many] manufacturers use those cells and their finished product can have various Diameters and Lengths.

If you look on here hard enough you will find guys like "HKJ" who test the batteries and provide us with all the necessary specifications.This helps determine whether it will be useable for a specific torch.

Here is his website:

http://lygte-info.dk/

Last edited:

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
The reflector in mine is smooth, not OP. The beam has a nice wide spot and good spill. It is nearly perfect mounted on my head during running.

I find it amazing that this light is only slightly larger than my AA flashlights!

The beam tint is slightly warm and slightly green, I have no complaints.

I have a personal wish for a "find me" beacon feature in the switch.

Does anyone know if this light shuts down to protect 18650 cells from over-discharging?

Capolini

Banned
EngrPaul said:

Does anyone know if this light shuts down to protect 18650 cells from over-discharging?

*******************************************************************************************

Probably not, that is why it has a "Low battery Indicator" on the switch. The perimeter glows "RED" when the battery is low.

My S10 will just shut off when it can not maintain High. It can stay on "Medium" for 15 minutes or so, but I charge it instead.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I can't see the red light when it's mounted on my head :)

I looked around for details, but I couldn't confirm protection.

I did find something on olightworld that is interesting:

"The top-of-the-line CREE XM-L2 LED puts out a retina-scorching 550 lumens"

What? I thought you're not supposed to look directly into the beam? If somebody wants to sue o-light for retina damage, I suppose they could use their own advertising against them.

Capolini

Banned
EngrPaul:

I forgot that you use it for a "Head Lamp"!!

The only thing I can think of is do battery run time tests or trust the specs.. Say it lasts 80 minutes[do you run longer than that?!] at 70 minutes put a fresh[spare] battery in just to be safe!

Even it just got weaker, you should have at least spare battery with you or a back up torch like I always bring when walking the Siberian.

Billy Ram

Enlightened
I've been EDCing this light "older model"for close to a year now and found it to be my favorite. I'm running AW's 2600mAh battery and charge it once a week. I like the long run time and the magnet comes in very handy. The only thing bad is the push button cover has a hole worn in it making the light not water proof any more.
Billy

Last edited:

ozzie_c_cobblepot

Enlightened
Two quick questions

1. Why is there a discrepancy in the length measurements, with the O-Light length reported as 86mm, and the selfbuilt length measured as 106.5mm?
2. Since there is no defined behavior for "double-click" from off, does a double click simply go on/off? And further, does a quad-click go on/off/on/off?

Thanks for the review.

EDIT: Since the double-click from on is defined to be strobe, then a quad-click from off perhaps goes on->strobe on->single-click

Last edited:

NorthernStar

Enlightened
Two quick questions

1. Why is there a discrepancy in the length measurements, with the O-Light length reported as 86mm, and the selfbuilt length measured as 106.5mm?
2. Since there is no defined behavior for "double-click" from off, does a double click simply go on/off? And further, does a quad-click go on/off/on/off?

Thanks for the review.

EDIT: Since the double-click from on is defined to be strobe, then a quad-click from off perhaps goes on->strobe on->single-click

1. That was a typo in the advertisement that was corrected afterwards. The real length is 106,5mm.
2.A double click from off leads to highest mode. A quad click from off leads to: Highest mode>Strobe mode.