Olight S20-L2 (S20 2013, XM-L2, 1x18650 2xCR123A/RCR) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS+

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
1. Why is there a discrepancy in the length measurements, with the O-Light length reported as 86mm, and the selfbuilt length measured as 106.5mm?
Beats me - my measurement is accurate. :)

2. Since there is no defined behavior for "double-click" from off, does a double click simply go on/off? And further, does a quad-click go on/off/on/off?
EDIT: Since the double-click from on is defined to be strobe, then a quad-click from off perhaps goes on->strobe on->single-click
Ah yes, forgot to mention that in the review - there is a double-click shortcut from off: it jumps you to Hi. So, a single click from off takes you to your memorized level, a quick double-click from off jumps you from there to Hi. It was discussed on my YouTube page, but I guess I forgot to edit the text (just updated).

Given that strobe is accessed by a double click from on, a quadrupule click from off is another way to get strobe (i.e., memorized level (one click) > Hi level (two clicks) > strobe (four clicks)).

EDIT: I see NorthernStar beat me to a reply. :)

NorthernStar

Enlightened
Ah yes, forgot to mention that in the review - there is a double-click shortcut from off: it jumps you to Hi. So, a single click from off takes you to your memorized level, a quick double-click from off jumps you from there to Hi. It was discussed on my YouTube page, but I guess I forgot to edit the text (just updated).

Given that strobe is accessed by a double click from on, a quadrupule click from off is another way to get strobe (i.e., memorized level (one click) > Hi level (two clicks) > strobe (four clicks)).

EDIT: I see NorthernStar beat me to a reply. :)

I posted just a few minutes before you! :D

Regarding how the ui works Selbuilt explains it better and more detailed.

ozzie_c_cobblepot

Enlightened
Olight S20-L2 (S20 2013, XM-L2, 1x18650 2xCR123A/RCR) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMS...

One last question. If you double click from off, to get to high, then (later) single click to off, and then do another single click to turn on

Does it go to the previous level you were at before doing the double click to high?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TSD

Newly Enlightened
Re: Olight S20-L2 (S20 2013, XM-L2, 1x18650 2xCR123A/RCR) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMS...

No, it comes back on in high.

Capolini

Banned
Re: Olight S20-L2 (S20 2013, XM-L2, 1x18650 2xCR123A/RCR) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMS...

I got my S20-L2 several days ago. I already have the S10-L2!

Besides being a "Black Friday Special", the reason I got the S20 is because of longer run time with the 18650[my favorite l. ion battery],A little more power and I really like torches that have a low battery indicator or a step down based on decreased power.

I like how petite the S10 is but the lack of low battery indicator[ baffled why they did not continue this like the original S10]and the short run time of the 16340 is a definite negative.At least short to me! i feel like every 15 minutes or so I need to check the voltage!

What I noticed about the S10,,after it shuts off on "High" I can still run it on medium for about 15 minutes but first I have to unscrew the tail cap to jolt the battery again!!

All in all I like my Olight "Family" of torches! I am regressing to childhood here!!! :shakehead

M3X[Father], M22[Mother], S20-L2[Son] and S10-L2[Daughter]:rolleyes:!!! lol!!

ozzie_c_cobblepot

Enlightened
Olight S20-L2 (S20 2013, XM-L2, 1x18650 2xCR123A/RCR) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMS...

Confused about a comment from the first page. If you lock the light, it loses the memory of which mode it was in, and comes back to moonlight?

So what happens in the following steps?
1. Set to medium
2. Single click for off
3. Press hold, through moonlight, to lock
4. Press hold for 1 sec to moonlight
5. Single click for off
6. Single click --> what happens here??

ozzie_c_cobblepot

Enlightened

I decided on the O-Light S20 L2, which accomplishes almost everything I wanted. First, the spacing is great, and matches exactly my WIBNI (wouldn't it be nice if) list going in. Second, though I like the momentary on via long press of the TX25C2, it isn't that much different from just a single click, because the switch is electronic. This frees up the UI to have long press (from off) to be a "hidden" moonlight, and eliminates the head selector. Last, O-Light somehow managed to keep the bezel diameter the same as the body, which is amazing. I EDC the ShiningBeam S-Mini for exactly that reason, and am looking forward to getting the S20 in the mail.

The low battery indicator is nice, and I'll miss having the "momentary turbo" on the TX25C2. Perhaps in the future O-Light could make strobe be a triple click, and make double click when on a momentary turbo, but some people might prefer the more accessible strobe.

And I'll end with a comment about the moonlight. My Preon P0 has a fabulous pure flood moonlight of 0.25 lms, which could not be more perfect for checking on sleeping kiddos. To this end, the O-Light is twice as many lumens, with a spot, so won't be as good. There is no doubt that the ZL SC600 has the best moonlight solution, but the two deal killers for that guy are the size (bezel diameter), and the complete lack of "lendability".

Thanks for reading. :)

AbbyY

Newly Enlightened

Confused about a comment from the first page. If you lock the light, it loses the memory of which mode it was in, and comes back to moonlight?

So what happens in the following steps?
1. Set to medium
2. Single click for off
3. Press hold, through moonlight, to lock
4. Press hold for 1 sec to moonlight
5. Single click for off
6. Single click --> what happens here??

Yes, the step 6 will start in moonlight mode.

ozzie_c_cobblepot

Enlightened

Interesting. So if you want to get back to high, you single click to moonlight (or long press). Then once it's on, you long press through low-med-high?

If you keep it long pressed, what happens after high?

AbbyY

Newly Enlightened

Indeed. After entering in moonlight mode, you have to keep pressing for cycling through low-med-high and so on. I mean if you keep pressing after high the cycle will start to low mode (not moonlight).

ozzie_c_cobblepot

Enlightened

Thanks!

On further thought, I like that it remembers moonlight. Though I don't like that locking also locks in moonlight, I'm not likely to use locking too much.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Interesting. So if you want to get back to high, you single click to moonlight (or long press). Then once it's on, you long press through low-med-high?
Indeed. After entering in moonlight mode, you have to keep pressing for cycling through low-med-high and so on.
Yes, that is all correct (i.e., moonlight becoming the memorized level after lock-out). Of course, once unlocked, you could always jump to Hi by turning off and then doing a double-click. But you might as well just press and hold your way there from moonlight. :)

ozzie_c_cobblepot

Enlightened

Seems that no matter what mode the S20 is in (including electronic lockout), a physical lockout at the tail will reset the light to "low", after just tightening the tail and single click.

But this is only true after a sufficient amount of time. Has anybody measured this? Going directly to low mode regardless is a nice feature, making moonlight, low, and high all accessible. It is my preferred method of EDCing the S20.

TSD

Newly Enlightened

Man, I really like this little light. Its super slim profile, large hotspot and spill, good mode spacing, and solid runtimes makes it one of my favorites. I'm surprised it doesn't get recommended more on the forum, but maybe it is due to the greenish tint and less than class leading max. Those are my biggest complaints at least, but considering that you can pick it up for under $40, I think it is still one of the better values out there. Still, I feel that there is room for improvement, so I decided to send it to Vinh...

Capolini

Banned

Man, I really like this little light. Its super slim profile, large hotspot and spill, good mode spacing, and solid runtimes makes it one of my favorites. I'm surprised it doesn't get recommended more on the forum, but maybe it is due to the greenish tint and less than class leading max. Those are my biggest complaints at least, but considering that you can pick it up for under $40, I think it is still one of the better values out there. Still, I feel that there is room for improvement, so I decided to send it to Vinh...

He could mod that little torch? Isn't the aluminum too thin? I have an M22 and I heard that can not be modded because it is too thin,,,the S20 is much thinner and more frail than the M22?

How much does he charge to mod a $40 light?! I would think the value of the torch would at least double when he gets done.

Let us/me know the improvements. I would imagine you would lose run time just like the bigger torches,,probably/hopefully not as severe.

I will be getting a modded torch[TN31mb] in a few days.My first one! The major factor that has kept me away [until now] was the significantly decreased run time on max.

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast

dont think his thinking a battery tube mod. im thinking a WaRm LeD in there :)

ozzie_c_cobblepot

Enlightened

The cutoff I was writing about earlier looks to be about 5-7 seconds.

Capolini

Banned

lol! I think you misinterpreted what I said! :thinking:I specifically remember hearing a member on here say that the M22 could not be modded because he[ one of the modders] felt it was too flimsy. It is not the battery tube that gets modded[no fooling!], however if the battery tube and the general construction is not STURDY enough[too cheap!], apparently modders do not want to do it!;)

Last edited:

TSD

Newly Enlightened

Yup, neutral LED for starters. There may or may not be a max output increase, but he has to take a look at it first. Even if he just changes the emitter to neutral, it will be a significantly improvement to my mind. I am considering getting the newest SC600, but if he can put a neutral emitter in the S20 L2 and boost the max output, I may pass on the zebra (also seems to be having QC problems). Plus, I love a broad spill range, especially for hiking in the woods, and it seems that the S20 has a bigger spill range than the SC600 MKII L2, though both have less than pre-MKII SC600 models.

Rick Condon

Newly Enlightened

I got my S20-L2 for Christmas and LOVE it. Ordered from Going Gear. Bought the S20-L2, Nitecore i2 charger, 2x Eagletac 3100 mAh 18650s, and the DM10 diffuser. I'm used to purchasing multi-AA lights (Olight S65 and Nitecore EA8) but recently decided I needed the power in a smaller package, so I decided to go lithium. I haven't been playing with this thing for long, but here are my observations. Despite its size the S20-L2 puts out roughly 80-85 percent of the light from the much larger S65. Olight says the S20-L2 has a max of 550 lumens, but Selfbuilt says it's more like 640 lumens. He estimated the max lumens on the S65 to be 660. Considering the S65 is about five times the size of the S20, I find that amazing. My reflector is smooth, not OP like in the pics. I guess Olight changed the specs and this should make the S20-L2 a better thrower. The LED is on the warm side, which is a plus for me.

If you're going to buy this light, do yourself a favour and spend the few extra bucks for both the DM10 diffuser and quality protected Japanese 18650s (Eagletac, etc). You'll be glad you did.

Last edited: