Olight SR95 (SST-90) & SR95UT (SBT-90) Review: RUNTIMES, OUTDOOR BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO+

jmpaul320

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Olight SR95 (SST-90) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO and more!

now i must ask the next question (may be getting ahead of myself with this one)

sr95 de-domed? :D

Coming soon! My subjective impression is the SR95 has a more generally useful beam, due to the extra light in the corona at intermediate distances. But I haven't taken it out to the 100+ yard level yet.

that makes sense... sr95 ad is only claiming an additional 10 yards of "throw" over the sr90, all the extra power must be going into the spill - which would make sense that they develop the UT model for us throw junkies :)

speaking of which my sr90 just shipped from ebay today lol. going to play with this one for a few months while reviews and opinions propagate of both the sr95 and UT

Last edited:

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

Selfbuilt,

I totally understand by what you mean having a light that throws up to a certain level would be adequate. As a matter of fact even a Scorpion V2 has plenty of good throw already. And for general use I prefer 100% pure flood! But it's just nice to have at least one light in your collection that you know will throw to extends that your eyes can't see anyways. A lot of SR90 buyers I know buys it just for the thrills of throw and output and not much of its practicality or it's intended purpose.

I bought a lot of light based on your review. The most recent would be a Thrunite TN31! I LOVE IT! For my use it's impractical as heck but I love the throw! With what said I would think it would be a cool idea if the heads are interchangeable on these monster Olight SR lights so that we can have throw or massive spill. They might sell less light this way but sell more accessories. I am sorry for really going off the topic on the SR95. I will wait to see beamshots of the TN31 VS these bad boys to decided if I need more novelty lights. :)

Thank You for all your reviews!

jmpaul320

Flashlight Enthusiast

I will wait to see beamshots of the TN31 VS these bad boys to decided if I need more novelty lights. :)

all of my lights except my keychain light are novelty lights LOL

kj2

Flashaholic

I assume that the SR95 and the UT version, will come in the standard Olight metal case??

VIET PRIDE BULLIES

Newly Enlightened

Nice review! Nice light and good thing I did not buy SR90 just yet

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast

now i must ask the next question (may be getting ahead of myself with this one)

sr95 de-domed? :D

The UT version is effectively a de-domed version of the SR95. It uses an emitter with the same die but no dome. I think it maintains a thin optical silicone layer however, so it should have a longer life than simply a de-domed SST-90

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

The UT version is effectively a de-domed version of the SR95. It uses an emitter with the same die but no dome. I think it maintains a thin optical silicone layer however, so it should have a longer life than simply a de-domed SST-90

But why half the lumen if it's just loosing the dome?

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast

"I bought it more as a proof-of-concept for how leds were starting to encroach in HID territory rather than for a practical light to use."

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree on this one. I have a 6 yr old 75w HID (Barn Burner) that, to me at least, is more practical to carry than a supersize flashlight style torch, puts out about 8500L and throws almost 1,000,000 lux at 1m (tested by me at 950k+). With a new battery pack it could get about 1:15 runtime. My biggest surprise when using this light for the first time is how compact, lightweight and easy to carry it is.

To put that in perspective, you could stack *8* SR-95s together all aimed at the same target and not out throw a Barn Burner. And it would take 4 of them stacked to equal the total output.

I firmly believe there will be no LED lights built anytime soon (in our lifetime even?) that will equal the performance of a Barn Burner with equal portability. Of course LEDs do have their own advantages.

Last edited:

kj2

Flashaholic

Will the UT version be numbered, if there will be only made 240 of them?

jmpaul320

Flashlight Enthusiast

interesting spec comparison

sr90 1750lm 126kcd 710m max throw
sr95 2000lm 129.6kcd 720m max throw
sr95ut 1050lm 168.1kcd 820m max throw

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

We don't know for sure of these number until we have selfbuilt tested the SR95UT too. That way we will have a correct set of specs. At the very least relatively correct.

interesting spec comparison

sr90 1750lm 126kcd 710m max throw
sr95 2000lm 129.6kcd 720m max throw
sr95ut 1050lm 168.1kcd 820m max throw

easilyled

Flashaholic

"I bought it more as a proof-of-concept for how leds were starting to encroach in HID territory rather than for a practical light to use."

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree on this one. I have a 6 yr old 75w HID (Barn Burner) that, to me at least, is more practical to carry than a supersize flashlight style torch, puts out about 8500L and throws almost 1,000,000 lux at 1m (tested by me at 950k+). With a new battery pack it could get about 1:15 runtime. My biggest surprise when using this light for the first time is how compact, lightweight and easy to carry it is.

To put that in perspective, you could stack *8* SR-95s together all aimed at the same target and not out throw a Barn Burner. And it would take 4 of them stacked to equal the total output.

I firmly believe there will be no LED lights built anytime soon (in our lifetime even?) that will equal the performance of a Barn Burner with equal portability. Of course LEDs do have their own advantages.

The key words I used are starting to encroach which implies "just beginning to compete"
Comparing the SR90 to a 75W HID is hardly fair since the SR90 consumes nothing like 75W.
At least compare it to an HID consuming a similar wattage and then remember that I said "just beginning"
LEDs still have a long way to go but it isn't as long as it used to be when it would have been considered completely ridiculous.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

Somehow I have a strong feeling that within my lifetime I will see a led light that matches the level of your barn burner. Audi a8 is already replacing their hid car headlights with LEDs. Luminous already have 6000 lumen led! And plus I am a healthy 26 years old so if nothing goes terribly wrong I hink I do have reasons to believe so.

jmpaul320

Flashlight Enthusiast

Somehow I have a strong feeling that within my lifetime I will see a led light that matches the level of your barn burner. Audi a8 is already replacing their hid car headlights with LEDs. Luminous already have 6000 lumen led! And plus I am a healthy 26 years old so if nothing goes terribly wrong I hink I do have reasons to believe so.

lol im also 26... just looking at how far leds have come in the last 10 years id say this is accurate... in 10 years from now well all probably be reminiscing at how the xml was the go to led for many lights and how it will probably be replaced by the omgbbqsuperbrightinfinitewarriorsword+1 led or something

djans1397

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ok Mr Sanders (Stephen)... I think I want my light back now please :mecry:

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sorry, Dan! :devil: ;) However, I do know where another is. PM me if interested. :)

"The key words I used are starting to encroach which implies "just beginning to compete"
Comparing the SR90 to a 75W HID is hardly fair since the SR90 consumes nothing like 75W.
At least compare it to an HID consuming a similar wattage and then remember that I said "just beginning"
LEDs still have a long way to go but it isn't as long as it used to be when it would have been considered completely ridiculous."

+1 :thumbsup:

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast

so... it is time to sell the sr90 for the sr95!?

jmpaul320

Flashlight Enthusiast

so... it is time to sell the sr90 for the sr95!?

i got mine for about 300 on ebay, so as far as price to output ratio i am going to have fun with my sr90 for the summer until the price drops :) or maybe i will check out the UT version but it will probably be hard to get