Olight SR96 ?

TEEJ

Flashaholic
The MK-R LED is new to me.

That means the resultant throw and flood balance is unknown, etc...and, its performance compared to other lights will therefore potentially be competing on different fronts.

It SOUNDS like it will be floody...but, a large reflector can focus a large LED. An MT-G2 type beam might be the result?

NorthernStar

Enlightened
Got mail back from Olight. Those specs aren't known yet.

Thank´s for the info. I guess it´s to early to ask about retail price and other specs since the light still is under the development stage,but i hope those specs will be out soon.

gopajti

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess it´s to early to ask about retail price

MAP price will be 280 USD, release date in august, modes low-med-high + strobe, more details not available

NorthernStar

Enlightened
MAP price will be 280 USD, release date in august, modes low-med-high + strobe, more details not available
That was good to hear!:)
Then this SR96 light is not going to be so expencive after all. 280USD MAP price is even lower than the SR95 Intimidator price. If that includes the battery pack then this is much flashlight for the money! That price is also lower than the RC40 MAP price from what i have seen. I can´t wait to see a video review of this light!!

NorthernStar

Enlightened
280 EUR is not bad at all! :) Then it is not more expencive than the SR95 Intimidator. I was worried that the pricetag would be far higher. I wonder why so many expected that the pricetag would be so much higher on this SR96 light? Maybe it´s because it is the first of it´s kind featuring 3xMK-R LEDs and there is no other light to compare it with? That´s was my thoughts anyway.

Let´s hope that we soon get more details about this light such as how much it steps down in effect and how fast it does so(being thermal or timer based). Let´s hope that it´s not just a few minutes of burst mode at highest effect! In that case the RC40 is still the king.I am hoping that Olight designed the SR96 to be capable of deliver 4200 lumens over an extended time.

fredted40x

Newly Enlightened
Any estimated dates of release?

Is there any other competition that we know off?

Was looking at getting the tk75/rc40 but this looks even better.

NorthernStar

Enlightened
Any estimated dates of release?

Is there any other competition that we know off?

Was looking at getting the tk75/rc40 but this looks even better.

Gopajti said that the release date is in August,so i think that we should see it at Olights webpage not to soon. Closest competitor right now is the RC40.

Issue

Enlightened
I canceled my order for sr95 ut today becose i found this. This looks brutal!

Did the sr92 really have 1000m throw? Thats what i find when i google it, but it cant be right?

Wonder how far this sr96 will go! Is 750m+ possible?

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I canceled my order for sr95 ut today becose i found this. This looks brutal!Did the sr92 really have 1000m throw? Thats what i find when i google it, but it cant be right? Wonder how far this sr96 will go! Is 750m+ possible?
According to selfbuilts's review, the SR-92 did 45klux which equates to 425m throw. Thats not bad. If you were to mod it with de-domed XM-L2s on copper you would probably get 100klux (around 630m of throw). For 1000m you need 250klux. Thats very difficult with a triple XM-L light. Impossible without de-doming. I have only seen one modded light where this was achieved. I don't think the SR-96 will throw thaaaat far. The reflectors would need to be very big.I'm just hoping that it doesn't have 3 Donut-Holes :D :D

Last edited:

Issue

Enlightened
According to selfbuilts's review, the SR-92 did 45klux which equates to 425m throw. Thats not bad. If you were to mod it with de-domed XM-L2s on copper you would probably get 100klux (around 630m of throw). For 1000m you need 250klux. Thats very difficult with a triple XM-L light. Impossible without de-doming. I have only seen one modded light where this was achieved. I don't think the SR-96 will throw thaaaat far. The reflectors would need to be very big.I'm just hoping that it doesn't have 3 Donut-Holes :D :D

Ah ok. 425m sounds more realistic. Its wierd tho, if you search google for "olight sr92 throw" you get many hits telling you its 1000m.

When you say "mod it with de-domed XM-L2s on copper" - is that something you remove on the leds you already have or do you have to buy new and change the complete LED? Sounds interesting if you can get it that much stronger. :) Any link or youtube clip when i can see a mod like that?

Maybe someone with more experience with new releases can say how early we can expect to have this flashlights at our resellers in europe? Before end of Sept?

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah ok. 425m sounds more realistic. Its wierd tho, if you search google for "olight sr92 throw" you get many hits telling you its 1000m.

When you say "mod it with de-domed XM-L2s on copper" - is that something you remove on the leds you already have or do you have to buy new and change the complete LED? Sounds interesting if you can get it that much stronger. :) Any link or youtube clip when i can see a mod like that?

Maybe someone with more experience with new releases can say how early we can expect to have this flashlights at our resellers in europe? Before end of Sept?

You do realize that the manufacturer can claim anything he wants? They can also say it throws 1000m even if it doesn't come close.

If you don't know what "de-doming" ist, just search the forums. You basically remove the lens of the led. This almost doubles the lux values and decreases lumens by 10-20%. The tint also becomes a bit warmer. vinhnguyen54 can do this for you. Just remember that it voids the warranty (like basically any mod).

Issue

Enlightened
You do realize that the manufacturer can claim anything he wants? They can also say it throws 1000m even if it doesn't come close.

If you don't know what "de-doming" ist, just search the forums. You basically remove the lens of the led. This almost doubles the lux values and decreases lumens by 10-20%. The tint also becomes a bit warmer. vinhnguyen54 can do this for you. Just remember that it voids the warranty (like basically any mod).

Ok. But when they talk about ANSI standard for flashlight throw its another thing, right? Or can they lie about that aswell?
Wich companys can you trust with the specs? Is there any list with comparsion of the spec and the OTF lumens/candela of diffrent companys/models?

Modding sounds tempting but i think that will have to wait. :)

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok. But when they talk about ANSI standard for flashlight throw its another thing, right? Or can they lie about that aswell?
Wich companys can you trust with the specs? Is there any list with comparsion of the spec and the OTF lumens/candela of diffrent companys/models?

Modding sounds tempting but i think that will have to wait. :)

Yes, the ANSI numbers are usually correct. The only that some manufactuers do is build in a step-down function (either timer oder temperature based) and ony tell you the numbers before the step-down. This is a common "problem" nowadays.
Usually you can trust all of the name brand companies.

One thing to be careful of is when dealers makes mistakes when they list the specifications of a light. This happens sometimes. It's best to check on the manufacturer's website.

NorthernStar

Enlightened
I canceled my order for sr95 ut today becose i found this. This looks brutal!

Did the sr92 really have 1000m throw? Thats what i find when i google it, but it cant be right?

Wonder how far this sr96 will go! Is 750m+ possible?

I have also read those statements about the SR92 but i found them to be quite exaggerated. When looking at Goinggears video review of the SR92,it does not look that powerful at all.

I am speculating,but i think this SR96 will be capable of 600+ meters of effective throw. It´s a little hard to estimate it´s possible capacity since it´s the first of it´s kind featuring 3 x MK-R LED´s and one have nothing else to compare it to.

I´ve been searching the Shoudian forum where news about flashlights often spreads firsts,but i have not find any news about the SR96. If the release realy is going to take place in August,i think that Olight should announce it at their website soon.