Olight SR96 ?

Issue

Enlightened
You do realize that the manufacturer can claim anything he wants? They can also say it throws 1000m even if it doesn't come close.

If you don't know what "de-doming" ist, just search the forums. You basically remove the lens of the led. This almost doubles the lux values and decreases lumens by 10-20%. The tint also becomes a bit warmer. vinhnguyen54 can do this for you. Just remember that it voids the warranty (like basically any mod).

Im still curious about the moding part of your post. Im still learning the diffrence between lux, cd and lumens. You say that the lux will almost double, can you say that the candela will follow? The difference between candela and lux is that candela is the same at any distance, right?

Is this modifying operation a hard to do with high risks of breaking the light or can anyone, that is abit handy with electonics, do it? Any risks that the light cant handle the extra heat it will produce?

I have also read those statements about the SR92 but i found them to be quite exaggerated. When looking at Goinggears video review of the SR92,it does not look that powerful at all.

I am speculating,but i think this SR96 will be capable of 600+ meters of effective throw. It´s a little hard to estimate it´s possible capacity since it´s the first of it´s kind featuring 3 x MK-R LED´s and one have nothing else to compare it to.

I´ve been searching the Shoudian forum where news about flashlights often spreads firsts,but i have not find any news about the SR96. If the release realy is going to take place in August,i think that Olight should announce it at their website soon.

With "effective throw" you mean the ANSI standard?
600m+ sounds awesome. I had a hard time to choose between TM26 and SR95UT, high lumens or a really good throw. With this light, i might get both. :huh:

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im still curious about the moding part of your post. Im still learning the diffrence between lux, cd and lumens. You say that the lux will almost double, can you say that the candela will follow? The difference between candela and lux is that candela is the same at any distance, right?

Is this modifying operation a hard to do with high risks of breaking the light or can anyone, that is abit handy with electonics, do it? Any risks that the light cant handle the extra heat it will produce?

lux@1m and cd are basically the same thing.

de-doming the led has nothing to do with electronics. You either need heat oder chemicals like acetone and just be very careful. For a perfect de-dome a little needle and a microscope are also very handy. Please search the forum on de-doming-. I don't have much time right now. All the information can be found.

The light will not produce extra heat after de-doming.

TEEJ

Flashaholic

600m+ sounds awesome. I had a hard time to choose between TM26 and SR95UT, high lumens or a really good throw. With this light, i might get both. :huh:

To add to TheDriver's excellent info:

Think of it this way:

Lumens are what the LED produces, essentially the light that is sent out.

You can't SEE lumens though.

Lux is what you can SEE, its essentially the light that hit a target, and bounced back to your eyes. The higher the lux, the brighter the target appears to be illuminated/the intensity of the illumination.

The lux is the lumens per square meter, with 1 lux = 1 lumen/m2

That intensity drops with distance (The farther away the target, the lower the lux on the target...).

It drops off with distance according to the inverse square law...so, essentially it will be 1/4 as bright at double the distance.

This means that if you know the intensity (lux) at any distance, you can calculate the intensity at other distances.

When they describe the lux at 1 meter, that call it the candela or cd of the light.

They may not MEASURE it at 1 meter though, because throwy lights sometimes have a beam SHAPE that doesn't become representative of its long range abilities until you are 5-50 meters from the light. Essentially, the way a lens focuses the beam, it hasn't yet all come together yet (Collimated, etc..) - so they measure it at the ACTUAL range that its in its final shape/representative intensity, and back-calculate back to a standard 1 meter lux measurement.

That allows direct comparison to other lights also using the same standard 1 meter lux to give the cd of the light.

So if you shined your light at a lux meter from 1 m, you'd get a lower cd than you'd be expecting, etc...you'd need to MEASURE it from further away, then do math)

So, since we can calculate the lux at any given range once we have the cd (Lux at 1 meter), we can then publish a range in meters.

The ANSI standards describe the range of a light in terms of how far it can go before it drops down to 1/4 lux (0.25 lux).

To get that, we simply take the square root of the cd, and multiply it by 2, and that's the METERS at which the intensity will have dropped to 0.25 lux.

If we want the distance to 1 lux, its simply the square root of the cd....and so forth.

To complicate matters, the "ANSI Throw" standard of 0.25 lux is fine for close up vision, but, is not effective for very long ranges.

The reason is that your eyes need to use the sharpest part of your vision to resolve details at long ranges...200-400 meters away for example, objects are proportionally small to you.

This sharp part of you vision is called the fovea, and its about a 2º field of vision. This is why people instinctively squint when trying to resolve things - to reduce their field of view to that fovea.

Unfortunately, this sharp part with great color resolution has about no low light abilities. So, when trying to tell a man carrying wood in his arms from a man carrying firearms 400 meters away, you need to use your fovea, and, at night, that means you need a LOT more light on that guy to tell anything...the 0.25 lux is not going to cut it anymore.

So, when people talk about ANSI Range, they mean to that 0.25 lux. When people talk about EFFECTIVE Range, they typically mean a range that still allows you to actually resolve adequate details...which can vary from person to person, level of night adaptation, etc. Typically, THAT range is somewhere between 1 - 5 lux.

As 1 lux is an easy square root of the cd calculation, and, 1 lux is at least enough light at most distances for SOME people, lux at 1 meter is a common "Effective Range".

In real life YMMV, etc...

:D

Hope that helps to fill in some blanks for you.

NorthernStar

Enlightened

Yes, i meant the ANSI standard,but the 600m+ is like i said a pure guess and maybe more of a wishfull thinking on my part. I do think that with it´s 4200 lumens combined with the 3 x MK-R LED´s will make it pass the 500 meters barrier of effective throw.:)

Issue

Enlightened
Thanks The_Driver, TEEJ and NorthernStar. Really useful information!

I got my eyes on this thread and i hope we will see more about this light soon!

fredted40x

Newly Enlightened
Come on olight. I want a new light.

Looks better than the tk75 and my old olight m20 is built really well. Feel like I'm going to break other lights I've tried.

fredted40x

Newly Enlightened
Asked them about it and they don't know the exact release. That was yesterday's update.

PhatPhil

Newly Enlightened
I'd asked them on Twitter for an update. They just replied with "Soon! Stay tuned."

foxxkat

Newly Enlightened
been reading this with interests till i came to the price... :huh::huh::(
it's out of my league boys.. but will be camping here to see what's coming next. maybe some throw/flood pics :)

Issue

Enlightened
been reading this with interests till i came to the price... :huh::huh::(
it's out of my league boys.. but will be camping here to see what's coming next. maybe some throw/flood pics :)

280 euro? Is that the price that scared you? Its fair imo, i hope it will stay there. :sssh:

fredted40x

Newly Enlightened
Lots of money but if it's as good as Ithink it will be, it will be worth the savings.

Just paid off the car early so might have to wait another few months. :(. Saved £350 paying it off early though.

Eithe this or save another £200 and get a iroomba 780 Hoover. Love gadgets.

holylight

Enlightened
Didn't follow all the thread but did this light run with build in batteries or stand alone 18650s

NorthernStar

Enlightened
Olights latest new product launch (29th August) was the upgraded H15S headlamp. Olight usually launches products in intervals of one new every month,so the release of the SR96 will probably take place sometime at the end of September.I might be wrong,but i think we will have to wait a little longer for the SR96.

Issue

Enlightened
Olights latest new product launch (29th August) was the upgraded H15S headlamp. Olight usually launches products in intervals of one new every month,so the release of the SR96 will probably take place sometime at the end of September.I might be wrong,but i think we will have to wait a little longer for the SR96.

I hope your wrong! :(

Things that speak against you is the "soon, stay tuned" comment from olight, i take that as a week or two. Also, if you look on new product history there is 4 new in June, 4 in July and 2 in August.

NorthernStar

Enlightened
I hope your wrong! :(

Things that speak against you is the "soon, stay tuned" comment from olight, i take that as a week or two. Also, if you look on new product history there is 4 new in June, 4 in July and 2 in August.

When talking about new products,i am not counting the accessories such as weaponmount and filters and so,only new flashlights, and then it gets more sparse between the new products. I was hoping that we should see the SR96 launched before the end of August,but instead the H15S was launched,but hopefuly we will see the launch of the SR96 asap.:) I am quite eager now!

DENGOH

Newly Enlightened
That will be first stock flashlights with 3 mkr led. I was hoping 3 mtg2 led.
3 mkr should make it a 45 watt flashlight, while 3 mtg2 will make it 55 watt flashlight. Lumens should be 4k+ vs 5k+.
That is why I was hoping 3 mtg2 led in there.

cre8ure

Newly Enlightened
That will be first stock flashlights with 3 mkr led. I was hoping 3 mtg2 led.
3 mkr should make it a 45 watt flashlight, while 3 mtg2 will make it 55 watt flashlight. Lumens should be 4k+ vs 5k+.
That is why I was hoping 3 mtg2 led in there.

I understand your point. But it's not only about lumens. The lightcolor of MT-G2 is very warm. Maybe that was also an issue?

However I think that MT-G2 would cause a better throw, no?