Olight - Tactical Weapon Light or Not ?

DonK

Enlightened
Olight M20S is sold as a "tactical" flashlight. I assumed that this meant it was robust enough to be weapon mounted. I just went to mount one an a friend's 12g when I noticed that there is no head-end spring in the battery chamber. I hear a lot of talk around here from people expressing the general opinion that a head-end spring is essential for a light to be able to survive on a gun.

12g has quite a kick, so I am now wondering if we should look for a different light - any thoughts or experience ?

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my opinion, the positive contact spring really has nothing to do with recoil resistance. It will help maintain battery contact.

Under recoil the battery will shift, when it shifts to the rear you will lose contact on the positive end briefly. A spring on both ends helps to maintain contact with both the positive and negative terminals.

12 gauge is heavier recoil than 5.56 and you will see some black out. The light should survive.

shortstack

Enlightened
I'm pretty sure it has a spring on the tail end and head end (they are suppose to at least), I believe it just has a "cap" over it. I think there is a video or 2 on youtube of them being weapon mounted and shot with a shotgun or AR.

Last edited:

DonK

Enlightened
Thanks

My interpretation was that the body of the light is mounted to the gun. As the gun and light body move backwards, the battery inside wants to stay put and pressed against the front end of the battery tube - exerting a crushing force on the head of the light. A spring would cushion this force.

I don't really know if it needs the cushion or not, or if this is a correct analysis of the situation. Seems that if this is correct, then the best place to put a spring (if you intend to have only one) would be the front of the light, not the rear as Olight have done here.