OMS Canister - where to buy?

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
They will not be delrin. Too expensive and I am afraid that if I get 25 of them I'll sit on them for months.

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got an email from SCUBA.com telling me the OMS cans are DISCONTINUED... My machine shop run is in the works and should be started soon!

Last edited:

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just gave my machine shop the go-ahead on production. 50% deposit tomorrow and 2 week wait... I should have a solution for canisters coming soon.... Thanks to those that have asked and are waiting. Looks like the price is going to be $80 for these. A bit more than the OMS price, but may be I can make it up with volume later on the next order...

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Someone asked if these were the same as OMS... Pretty much except I made some changes to allow for easier modding into dive lights. Here are the changes:
1. The inside hole in the caps will be 1.85". This will allow an 8-cell 18650 battery pack to sit in the cap, allowing for more space up top for the connector. I was actually doing this on my lathe to the OMS.
2. The caps will have 1/4" more thickness at the top. This will wllow for the installation of the switch without any spacers. I used a switch nut to bring the switch down a bit so the switch boot would tighten down all the way. The extra thickness will give me enough "meat" to drill out a hole for installing magnets on the caps as well. I can then use Taskled hall effect latching switch in the heads. Just swipe the head over the cap an light comes on and off...
3. The inside hole of the caps will be 1/8" deeper so that the switch will fit in there flush.
4. As a result of the additional thickness and depth, the caps will be about 3/8" thicker which will make the canister 3/4" longer.

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Machine shop said they should have my first prototype Friday (may be)... For $80 it will be just the can... The OMS cans were available to me for less than I am paying for these. This will be clear PVC like OMS, two thicker grey caps, 6 orings (3 per cap).
I can install agro gland and switch for additional price. Complete can with toggle will be $130. If you want to use the Taskled Hall Effect switch, I can hide the magnet in the cap (this is why thicker caps) and encase in clear silicone or JB Weld. This would be cheaper and safer than toggle with boot. First order of 25 canisters should be here in less than a week! It's been a long time and I hope the wait has been worth it.

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I should have my first prototype Wednesday. Machine shop is waiting for the last of the material to come in.

beekeeper5

Newly Enlightened
It's Wednesday and we're all saying "Is it here yet?" :)

Don't forget to post some pictures and the dimensions of the canister. I saw a guy diving with a canister that was as big as a 40PSI pony.

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, so I hate to say this, but... The canister is not done yet. Called the shop today and they have cut back to 4 days per week for summer and he has a couple of other jobs before me. So, he said Monday or Tuesday! I will post pics as soon as I have them.
Thanks for your patience...

Codiak

Enlightened
Just FYI.... after the 2nd missed date.... it's better to pad the 3rd one.... instead of "Monday or Tuesday".... say "this year" ;-)

If these were software engineers I'd say "this decade"

beekeeper5

Newly Enlightened
And if you work for Blizzard or Duke Nukem, then you say "Whenever it's ready". :)

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is why I hate relying on others to do work for me! I am pretty sure it will be next week. Hang in there... Thanks

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
2.0"-2.1"ID x 9-9.5" overall length. Will be able to fit up to 10 18650 with the right connector. About 2.5" OD.

beekeeper5

Newly Enlightened
2.0"-2.1"ID x 9-9.5" overall length. Will be able to fit up to 10 18650 with the right connector. About 2.5" OD.

Sounds like a small enough canister. I'm running DW's triple XM-L with a driver of 2.8A. I would like to get about 2-2.5 hours. Any ideas what battery setup I need so it can fit in this canister? I was thinking of 14.8V @ 6000mah. Are my calculations correct?

Last edited:

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, guys, it looks like for sure I will have the canisters before this decade is over!!! OK, much sooner... I just laid eyes on the caps today and the tubes were ready to be mounted to the lathe to thread. I was told they should have been done by the end of the day today or tomorrow... Getting close. They look really good too. Just like the OMS but with a few tweaks to make modification easier.
Stay tuned!
Thanks for your patience.

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got word that 31 cans are ready for pick up. Now wait a few days for o rings and put together! I'll hopefully pressure one up tonight!